What is the most beautiful tang in your opinion?

What is the most beautiful tang in your opinion? PICK TOP 3

• Achilles

Votes: 273 39.2%
  • Powder Blue

Votes: 261 37.5%
  • Sohal

Votes: 98 14.1%
  • Maculiceps

Votes: 21 3.0%
  • Chevron

Votes: 56 8.0%
  • Dussumeiri

Votes: 47 6.8%
  • Gem

Votes: 105 15.1%
  • Black

Votes: 44 6.3%
  • Purple

Votes: 181 26.0%
  • Regal

Votes: 57 8.2%
  • Naso

Votes: 83 11.9%
  • Unicorn

Votes: 17 2.4%
  • Other please post in thread

Votes: 64 9.2%

• Total voters

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sohals and clown tangs.. so cool... if only they did not grow up to be the biggest bullies on the block

THIEN LE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if the most beautiful one is also the favorite, but purple tang has always been the 1st tang that I put in every new tank. There are some tangs in this thread that I've never known or seen before, and they're all beautiful.
Is there something called brotherhood in different tang species ? That's what I've learned recently when I have 5 different species in my new tank. My naso blond, which is the biggest one, always chases the powder blue away everytime he tries to bully the fowleri. The blond acts like that only to the fowleri although as mostly known the power blue just mess around with every other tang. It's probably because I've kept the 2 in a small sump for months before introduced them first the tank. I found it's interesting and funny though.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sohals and clown tangs.. so cool... if only they did not grow up to be the biggest bullies on the block
I got really lucky 3 years ago adopted a Sohal that was 10yrs old. I don’t know the previous owner but was a return to my LFS and he sold the Sohal to the original owners who had for 10yrs returned because it out grew the tank. This Sohal is very nice and plays well with others however I have not put any power blue or brown tangs with it, didn’t want to push it! But is gets along well with naso, yellow, and scopas tangs. I lov the Sohal and hope to have for many more
Years!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if the most beautiful one is also the favorite, but purple tang has always been the 1st tang that I put in every new tank. There are some tangs in this thread that I've never known or seen before, and they're all beautiful.
Is there something called brotherhood in different tang species ? That's what I've learned recently when I have 5 different species in my new tank. My naso blond, which is the biggest one, always chases the powder blue away everytime he tries to bully the fowleri. The blond acts like that only to the fowleri although as mostly known the power blue just mess around with every other tang. It's probably because I've kept the 2 in a small sump for months before introduced them first the tank. I found it's interesting and funny though.
I think your on to something! I have seen this behavior before. It’s definitely interesting!

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are on to something. I had a vlamingi, powder brown and scopas in my tank then introduced a 6" purple and a yellow (was the same size as the scopas). The first day the scopas wasn't a fan of the yellow then the second day the scopas went to go toward the yellow and the purple stepped in (the purple is definitely the boss of the tank). Happened again the next day. Since then, everybody has been getting along. It's like the purple said, "we aren't doing that in here, get along!"
40E730CE-0615-4768-B82F-B7088447449C.gif

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are on to something. I had a vlamingi, powder brown and scopas in my tank then introduced a 6" purple and a yellow (was the same size as the scopas). The first day the scopas wasn't a fan of the yellow then the second day the scopas went to go toward the yellow and the purple stepped in (the purple is definitely the boss of the tank). Happened again the next day. Since then, everybody has been getting along. It's like the purple said, "we aren't doing that in here, get along!"
I love it! That’s awesome!

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it! That’s awesome!
So do I! I was getting nervous and getting everything around to pull the scopas out for a timeout, but ended up not having to. The yellow stayed hidden behind the rocks so that the scopas wouldn't see it. It was crazy, I was laying on the couch watching my tank and saw the purple step in. Then ended up falling asleep on my couch and when I opened my eyes to my tank (tank is in my living room) I see all 5 tangs swimming around like best friends. And that's when I had the "ah ha" moment and realized when the purple stepped in that it wasn't going to put up with that stuff haha

THIEN LE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"we aren't doing that in here, get along!" exactly like that

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I! I was getting nervous and getting everything around to pull the scopas out for a timeout, but ended up not having to. The yellow stayed hidden behind the rocks so that the scopas wouldn't see it. It was crazy, I was laying on the couch watching my tank and saw the purple step in. Then ended up falling asleep on my couch and when I opened my eyes to my tank (tank is in my living room) I see all 5 tangs swimming around like best friends. And that's when I had the "ah ha" moment and realized when the purple stepped in that it wasn't going to put up with that stuff haha
That’s awesome! I tried a purple, yellow and scopas but the scopasand purple ever got along so I separated moved the purple to 93 cube and scopas into our second 300gal tank. We tried 11 tangs in 300 gal reef but due to agression had to reorganize and move some out. Down to five in the reef and no
More aggression. Have purple and tomini in 93 cube and they are good there both small. Scopas is with Sohal in FO 300 gal along with nasa. Thanks for sharing. Super cool to watch the fish and how they interact.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! I tried a purple, yellow and scopas but the scopasand purple ever got along so I separated moved the purple to 93 cube and scopas into our second 300gal tank. We tried 11 tangs in 300 gal reef but due to agression had to reorganize and move some out. Down to five in the reef and no
More aggression. Have purple and tomini in 93 cube and they are good there both small. Scopas is with Sohal in FO 300 gal along with nasa. Thanks for sharing. Super cool to watch the fish and how they interact.
Honestly think I just got lucky with their personalities, but it was one of the coolest things to see once I realized what was going on. I thought maybe the scopas was also trying to cause problems with the purple who's much larger. Stock order was Vlamingi for some time by itself, powder brown and scopas together, yellow and purple together. The purple is the biggest one in the tank, followed by the vlamingi, scopas and yellow are the same size then the powder brown. I'm going for a tang dominant tank because for me they are the only fish that I love to watch. The tang police would lose their minds. I do introduce mirrors a day before a new tang addition and then introduce later in the evening after I feed and it works for me. I only "plan" on adding one more tang (a large blonde naso) and will introduce when I set up my 180 and everybody will have to re-establish their territories and pecking order

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly think I just got lucky with their personalities, but it was one of the coolest things to see once I realized what was going on. I thought maybe the scopas was also trying to cause problems with the purple who's much larger. Stock order was Vlamingi for some time by itself, powder brown and scopas together, yellow and purple together. The purple is the biggest one in the tank, followed by the vlamingi, scopas and yellow are the same size then the powder brown. I'm going for a tang dominant tank because for me they are the only fish that I love to watch. The tang police would lose their minds. I do introduce mirrors a day before a new tang addition and then introduce later in the evening after I feed and it works for me. I only "plan" on adding one more tang (a large blonde naso) and will introduce when I set up my 180 and everybody will have to re-establish their territories and pecking order
The naso will probably do well with that group and as long as they all go in together should work well and be a really beautiful combo! Make sure you post lots of pictures!

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love regals and PBT. I hate that I didn't go large enough to get them. I thought when I got a 120 that it was big enough. Sadly, no.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The naso will probably do well with that group and as long as they all go in together should work well and be a really beautiful combo! Make sure you post lots of pictures!
Oh I definitely will! It has been a slow process trying to find time for it. I have a build thread started and just purchased a second AP700 for it. Have to build a stand yet and have way too many ideas for what I want to do stand wise. Plus all the plumbing ( I hate plumbing tanks because I have extreme OCD when it comes to that and want everything to look professionally done)

If anybody has any idea of how to post videos in here from my phone, I can post a video of all the camera hogs (as soon as I pull my phone out they all want to be in the picture/video). I've tried in the past and it didn't work

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilles Tang has always been my dream fish but not in my tiny 90 gallon & that's for sure.
• Didn't know Dussumeiri is that nice ... now!!??
Naso Tang ... with long streamers & esp. from what I've seen first hand while snorkelling in Hanauma Bay, Oahu.
• Have a Purple Tang in my system though ( have to include this fella or else ... I'm gonna be in deep water) ;Smuggrin

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I think I figured it out. Not sure how the quality is though, it looks great in the video album in my phone

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back