What to use for spacing to put panes together

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 220 Gallon aquarium that we decided to completely take apart, and we're ready to start reassembling it as we've finally received the frames. I'm curious- what should we use to 'maintain' a gap between the bottom pane and the side panes? It's a Marineland tank, and Marineland frame, so the panes must sit on top to fit the frame. I've been recommended cabinet stoppers, but we can't find any small enough. I appreciate any input.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
find out what gap you need and see if you can find dowel that size. some use angle squares taped to the side glass to suspend the glass instead of putting blocks under it. good luck check out diy for ideas

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
find out what gap you need and see if you can find dowel that size. some use angle squares taped to the side glass to suspend the glass instead of putting blocks under it. good luck check out diy for ideas
I don’t really understand what you mean, do you have any examples?

Upvote 0

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is fair when i was putting my sump baffles in i wanted to have smooth continuous silicone beads. i used small pieces of dowel rod whose diameter was the thickness of the gap but shorter than the thickness of the glass so that the silicone would be smooth on each side and attach to the glass end on both sides
google speed square for what i was talking about. it has a foot so will stand on the glass and you can use it to keep the glass perpendicular and attach to the side glass

Upvote 0

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of people using fishing line....Then when it is cured, you just cut the fishing line flush with the panels and you can't see it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope left them in place. They were probably 1/4 inch square at most.

I built the tank with no silicone, clamps held it together, then injected silicone into the joints.
I see, thank you! May I ask how long the tank has been up with the zip ties in it? My dad and I were concerned that something staying between the silicon would cause a weak point.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back