When you talk about your star so much that Google picks up on it…

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you (being me) single handedly change Google’s algorithm and your star is no longer rare because you get several major vendors to bring them in that’s an amazing feeling! Because you talk about your star so much online Google picks it up and then vendors start bringing them in and word spreads quickly! When I got my star originally I wish all this info existed online! It didn’t at all. It was kept behind experts and not published or very little info existed. Only a few people had heard of these stars or they were misidentified (still are) and in my quest to learn more about it Google picked it up and more and more major vendors now bring them in.
IMG_6987.png

IMG_6988.png
IMG_6982.png
IMG_6986.png

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wow! awesome starfish! I can see why got it for sure! I take it , not reef safe?
They are reef-safe with caution. Unless a coral is dead or dying I have found they don’t eat or go after corals. Especially if you target feed them.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are reef-safe with caution. Unless a coral is dead or dying I have found they don’t eat or go after corals. Especially if you target feed them.
Hmmm, I might have to look into one. I have a couple mini brittle stars, but I really like the looks of the one you have. Thank you for sharing.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ayden, I really don't think that expert researchers dropped everything and pursued studying this particular species only due to R2R posts. The researchers don't generally even make the decision to study one species simply out of interest because they need a LOT of funding to do so. Also, many internet links surely existed whether they used the same name or not. Even if they used a different scientific name it doesn't necessarily mean they were incorrect. Scientific names change many times as years pass. Have you checked to see when those sources were published?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bunch of party poopers in this thread. @AydenLincoln find something else rare and do it again
I love that she's keeping stars and enjoying taking care of them, they're not really rare and I'm just not aware of what she "did". Google picked up the thread when you search keywords. Google did something.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that she's keeping stars and enjoying taking care of them, they're not really rare and I'm just not aware of what she "did". Google picked up the thread when you search keywords. Google did something.
To me it sounds like someone having fun with these now absolutely useless internet search engines doing something interesting.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, let's change the tone up because I'm curious. @AydenLincoln what foods are you feeding it since it's classified as an omnivore? Honestly, I'm curious what the primary (original) source is and how they determined that because many species will feed on alternative food sources if their primary food source is scarce. That would probably take more time to research than you have at the moment so instead, I'll just ask what you're feeding and why you feel it's adequate for nutrition.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As for the algorithm the more info people put out and the more a thing is talked about online Google automatically generates a “knowledge panel” which is just a fancy word of saying enough people talk about it and there’s enough websites or photos and posts for them to compile a knowledge panel. Look up anyone famous or any major species or events and they have it. But that was not the point of my post at all. My point was these articles were not all in one place and beyond species identification very little info is published or online. I had to go searching and asking questions to get the info I did. So Google picked up my posts etc. and said this seems beneficial and a lot of people are talking about it so a panel is created.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People really misunderstood my post! Like a lot. Because I contacted them to bring them in and they had never heard of the stars before or they brought them in because of me asking about them or telling them about them. As for the experts because I contacted a ton. And there really is very little info about them beyond species identification. Ugh.
I agree that it's unfortunate that there's been little research done on the entire class. There are over 2,000 species though and there are reasons for the lack of research on individual species like yours. However, you don't necessarily need species-specific research to draw conclusions. There are entire books published dedicated to the diets of echinoderm classes further divided into orders and genera. They're extremely comprehensive. Why not use resources like those?

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree that it's unfortunate that there's been little research done on the entire class. There are over 2,000 species though and there are reasons for the lack of research on individual species like yours. However, you don't necessarily need species-specific research to draw conclusions. There are entire books published dedicated to the diets of echinoderm classes further divided into orders and genera. They're extremely comprehensive. Why not use resources like those?
I just never picked up a book first. Call me a Gen Zer because I am lol. But also because unless I want to go out or my way to drive to the library. The internet is at my disposable and the contacts for experts who do know about them and it’s been the same answer from nearly everyone. And I have searched databases and found very few books on stars let alone my species or even class specific books and none on how alone how they apply to our aquariums but more so general info.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chill.

@AydenLincoln how about them starfishes? They are very beautiful, any tips for getting them to thrive?
For me I had one for over a year and a half. I have found them to have relatively short lifespans at least compared to other species although it isn’t exactly known from what I heard they don’t live very long anyway. Although beyond species identification and environment not much is actually known. They do naturally eat microorganisms in the sand or sediment and they don’t live on coral reefs. Most similar stars and in the same family/order are predatory and can be seen enjoying clams and other meaty foods so I do feed that to them too. I primarily feed Masstick or krill and soak my food in phytoplankton or zooplankton and smear it on the glass.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just never picked up a book first. Call me a Gen Zer because I am lol. But also because unless I want to go out or my way to drive to the library. The internet is at my disposable and the contacts for experts who do know about them and it’s been the same answer from nearly everyone. And I have searched databases and found very few books on stars let alone my species or even class specific books and none on how alone how they apply to our aquariums but more so general info.
I think very few researchers are going to focus on techniques ro maintain any starfish species in captivity. You can find a copy of practically every book on the internet now and I recall even giving you the title of one that covers every class of starfish known. Not only that, it's so comprehensive it covers all echinoderms under 1 cover. You won't find a species specific book, or at least for the vast majority of species. The information has always been there.

Out of curiosity, do you want to learn about starfish in general, or only this one species?

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think very few researchers are going to focus on techniques ro maintain any starfish species in captivity. You can find a copy of practically every book on the internet now and I recall even giving you the title of one that covers every class of starfish known. Not only that, it's so comprehensive it covers all echinoderms under 1 cover. You won't find a species specific book, or at least for the vast majority of species. The information has always been there.

Out of curiosity, do you want to learn about starfish in general, or only this one species?
I am content with knowing enough and all I can about this specific species and how I can best care for it. I do know about other stars but my focus is on my little guy and care for him. But again in my experience and knowing a few people who study them it is primarily focused on identification and preservation or evolution of them compared to other things that could be focused on which makes sense.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am content with knowing enough and all I can about this specific species and how I can best care for it. I do know about other stars but my focus is on my little guy and care for him. But again in my experience and knowing a few people who study them it is primarily focused on identification and preservation or evolution of them compared to other things that could be focused on which makes sense.
Ok, if there's such little information on this species in particular it seems logical to try to gain an in depth understanding of other species as well...both their ecology and biology. I prefer to focus on understanding as much as possible regarding the biology/ecology of the entire class and gaining an understanding of their internal biological functions in addition to diet since that allows for me to apply what I understand to the vast majority of species instead of only one. I, too, communicate with researchers who have dedicated their entire life to the study of these organisms but only if I have a very specific question for them or don't quite understand the reason for the conclusion drawn from their research for example since they're very busy men and women.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
For me I had one for over a year and a half. I have found them to have relatively short lifespans at least compared to other species although it isn’t exactly known from what I heard they don’t live very long anyway. Although beyond species identification and environment not much is actually known. They do naturally eat microorganisms in the sand or sediment and they don’t live on coral reefs. Most similar stars and in the same family/order are predatory and can be seen enjoying clams and other meaty foods so I do feed that to them too. I primarily feed Masstick or krill and soak my food in phytoplankton or zooplankton and smear it on the glass.
Ayden, no need to defend yourself.
Also, do mention you had a previous one well over a year and acquired another to Your enjoyment. This star and other critters is why we got into this hobby.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a great looking star and demand is picking up for them. Lfs and wholesales are making requests so the supplier is meeting the demand.
It's not just one person but the hobby as a whole.

All the hot corals go through this. Few demand spikes collectors supply demand as demand wanes supply follow.

Wish more lfs had gorgs. All my searching hasn't changed this.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 25.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 39 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back