Where are you from?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As simple as it’s stated - where are you from and where do you live?

We have a diverse group of folks on here. I’ve personally met a couple of you (and made great friends). I used to assume everyone here lives in the US - and seemingly, a majority do.

I’m originally from Southern Illinois, USA (a whole life ago) - days away from the ocean.

Grew up in Hawaii - 10 minutes from the ocean.

Been living in Hong Kong for over 6 years now. - 5 minutes from the ocean.

EC511FD2-02AB-4D8F-87D2-6391B1D1E73A.jpeg

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cortland, NY.

Lived in all parts of NY and 3 years in San Francisco. Been around NYC for about 28 of my 49 years.

North up 5th Avenue
75D89DAC-5983-451C-BC43-0FCD617A3CD7.jpeg
I never made it as far east as NY. Only layover on way to Europe. On my bucket list.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never made it as far east as NY. Only layover on way to Europe. On my bucket list.
You are well traveled, so you must see NY. It is the center of the world. I do not say that lightly, but based on finance, media, tourism, etc. (not historically, of course). Yes, my opinion as well. I sum it up this way, it is the one place anyone can be famous or anonymous.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cortland, NY.

Lived in all parts of NY and 3 years in San Francisco. Been around NYC for about 28 of my 49 years.

North up 5th Avenue
75D89DAC-5983-451C-BC43-0FCD617A3CD7.jpeg

Ohhhh man [emoji7] this pic just makes me wanna get my backside over there right now. Look at that sunset. Haven't been but will go one day.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From London UK, so far from the ocean I don't even know how to get there lol.

Now living in Hong Kong and the ocean is never more than a 1 hour drive away to the north, south and east for me. So plenty of choice [emoji4].

20180711_193201~2.jpeg

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA. Lived in Bethlehem and Philadelphia as well. Military guy so also lived in Hawaii, San Antonio and a few other places. Travelled for work and brief “living” stints in China, Belgium, Milan, Como, Barcelona, French Riviera, Hungary and presently South of Louisville, KY. Last duty station was Fort Knox and six kids later nobody wanted to move again. Heart will always be in Pittsburgh and that is where I always say I’m from.

@NY_Caveman I love NYC every time I’m there! Theater people alive!!

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA. Lived in Bethlehem and Philadelphia as well. Military guy so also lived in Hawaii, San Antonio and a few other places. Travelled for work and brief “living” stints in China, Belgium, Milan, Como, Barcelona, French Riviera, Hungary and presently South of Louisville, KY. Last duty station was Fort Knox and six kids later nobody wanted to move again. Heart will always be in Pittsburgh and that is where I always say I’m from.

@NY_Caveman I love NYC every time I’m there! Theater people alive!!
Wow. You’ve lived everywhere. Lots of military on Oahu, Hawaii. My lil bro was stationed there for a few years.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born and raised on the south side of Chicago, IL. Have lived in every midwest state except for Michigan. Also lived in Sarasota, FL for a few years. Yes, I moved from Sarasota back to Chicago and many would say I need to have my head checked. They would be right! Presently living in a northwest suburb of Chicago but desperately want to get out of here to somewhere without a harsh winter.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born and raised on the south side of Chicago, IL. Have lived in every midwest state except for Michigan. Also lived in Sarasota, FL for a few years. Yes, I moved from Sarasota back to Chicago and many would say I need to have my head checked. They would be right! Presently living in a northwest suburb of Chicago but desperately want to get out of here to somewhere without a harsh winter.
I’ve lived in tropical climates for almost my entire life. I can tell you one thing, I miss the seasons. As odd as that sounds. Haven’t had an autumn ever. Never really a true winter. Just rainy springs and hot, humid summers that seem to never end.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve lived in tropical climates for almost my entire life. I can tell you one thing, I miss the seasons. As odd as that sounds. Haven’t had an autumn ever. Never really a true winter. Just rainy springs and hot, humid summers that seem to never end.

You comment is not odd sounding, at all, to me. As a matter of fact, it makes sense that you would want to experience something that has always been a curiosity. I believe it to be human nature.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Autumn is my favorite, sorry to say.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live about 20 min from BRS in MN.
I’m so jealous. Everything is at your fingertips. I work walking distance to a famous fish street but it pales in comparison to BRS.

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
born and raised in the midwest (IA, IL, MO, CO) left home and lived in WA, SC, and NY. I've been in upstate NY now for 15 years or so, cant wait for the kids to graduate so i can move south. (DE, MD, VA)
I'm currently an hour or so north of albany, Montreal is closer to me then NYC.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so jealous. Everything is at your fingertips. I work walking distance to a famous fish street but it pales in comparison to BRS.

With the price of real estate so high in HK, I would imagine there cannot be many places for you to buy equipment or livestock. Is this true?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born/Raised/Live just outside of Boston. Spent a couple years in Orlando as a youngster and a couple more in the South Bay area of LA. Enjoyed both but missed the four seasons and settled back here/home. A couple hours ride to the mountains and 45 minutes to the Ocean.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back