OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the price of real estate so high in HK, I would imagine there cannot be many places for you to buy equipment or livestock. Is this true?
My great buddy @ylreefer can chime in I’m sure.

It’s expensive to live here. I only rent and don’t own. But it costs me about $2,000 US to rent a 500 sq ft apartment. You can see why I only run a 40g and not a 400g. However, I do love it. We get corals at really decent prices. Have to say fish are cheap too.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come everyone lives so close to BRS? Are they a magnet?;Hilarious

Funny thing, when I got back into the hobby 5 - 6 years ago and searched for a "goods supplier" I was shocked that BRS was literally in my backyard. dang near all my orders get here overnight or two days at worst via standard shipping/orders.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born and raised in Chicago IL. Love your pic of the ocean view in Hong Kong. Been almost 5 years since my last visit there.
Hong Kong is stereotyped as a building and people capital. But we have lots of islands and ocean. My go-to on my days off.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born/Raised in Cuba, came to this country in 1988 and leave in Miami for 7 years then in 1996 I moved to Tampa (trying to recover from Hurricane Andrew 1992 where I lost everything) and been here until now.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born in Portugal, came to USA in 1978 to Boston with my parents. Moved back to Portugal with my parents when I was 11. Came back to America at 17 by myself and to Germany in 1998 for 3 years. Then I decided home was back in Boston.

Robert_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born, raised and live in the Chicagoland area. Looking to move to somewhere with a warmer climate once I retire and kids are done with school. I hate winters here and I don't think we get fall or spring here either. If we do it only lasts a few hours.... :D

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born in Portugal, came to USA in 1978 to Boston with my parents. Moved back to Portugal with my parents when I was 11. Came back to America at 17 by myself and to Germany in 1998 for 3 years. Then I decided home was back in Boston.
I grew up in Hawaii. Lots of Portuguese culture there. You’d be surprised.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born/Raised in Cuba, came to this country in 1988 and leave in Miami for 7 years then in 1996 I moved to Tampa (trying to recover from Hurricane Andrew 1992 where I lost everything) and been here until now.
I can’t imagine having a tank and worrying about hurricanes.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From London UK, so far from the ocean I don't even know how to get there lol.

Now living in Hong Kong and the ocean is never more than a 1 hour drive away to the north, south and east for me. So plenty of choice [emoji4].

20180711_193201~2.jpeg
This pic is so Hong Kong. We have the beauty of city, mountain, and sea. Truly diverse.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve lived in tropical climates for almost my entire life. I can tell you one thing, I miss the seasons. As odd as that sounds. Haven’t had an autumn ever. Never really a true winter. Just rainy springs and hot, humid summers that seem to never end.
I forget which island or islands in Hawaii it snows, and of course you have to be native to visit certain areas of Hawaii. The snow is up high.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As simple as it’s stated - where are you from and where do you live?

We have a diverse group of folks on here. I’ve personally met a couple of you (and made great friends). I used to assume everyone here lives in the US - and seemingly, a majority do.

I’m originally from Southern Illinois, USA (a whole life ago) - days away from the ocean.

Grew up in Hawaii - 10 minutes from the ocean.

Been living in Hong Kong for over 6 years now. - 5 minutes from the ocean.

EC511FD2-02AB-4D8F-87D2-6391B1D1E73A.jpeg
Born and raised in Southern Callyfornia as some pronounce it. Heee
OC County. Go Lakers

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back