OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't the 76 day fallow period be much easier though if you think about it? To do a restart you have to drain the tank, remove the rock, let it dry out, and when you're ready to start up again re add the rock, make all new water, transfer that water and let the tank cycle all over again...its definitely labor intensive than just letting the tank sit there and run for 76 days. Or did you have a different approach?

I get that but the tank would still need maintained water changes would still need done etc. even if left sit. Spending 30 mins to empty tank and another 30 to put it all back isn't big deal to enjoy my tank faster. I personally wouldnt want to take care of an empty tank if I didn't have to. That to me is wasting my time... I take care of tank to enjoy it. Sorry I didn't get into hobby the save the ocean. I like fish and it's relaxing and cool no other reason for me. Only did it because freshwater got boring with same commitment.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
train_wreck.jpg

Ok let's forget all of the save the oceans stuff and everything for that matter. The point I think people are trying to get across that is being missed that this will happen again. It's not an if I only buy from X store. Sorry no, even the most well renown fish and coral vendors on the planet have things that slip through.

So yes, you can reset your system and add new fish and you've fixed the problem this time. What happens in a year when your cleanup crew is a little sparse and you bring in something on a snail shell, or you see that cool whatever and add it only to find out your whole tank is infected again.

The question here is how many times are you willing to tear down your tank and start over before you think you'd just go back to freshwater or just not have fish? You said yourself freshwater is boring. Managing and eradicating pests is a continuing struggle on the marine side of the house and it's trending worse and worse.

So yes this thread was about these fish and this time. And yes the easiest thing for you to do this time may be a reset. How many more times is that likely to be the case? I think that's the over-arching point that shouldn't get lost in all of this. This set of fish and this setup is the micro. Your entire system and your ability to maintain the hobby successfully is the macro. Don't lose sight of the macro, because of the micro.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
train_wreck.jpg

Ok let's forget all of the save the oceans stuff and everything for that matter. The point I think people are trying to get across that is being missed that this will happen again. It's not an if I only buy from X store. Sorry no, even the most well renown fish and coral vendors on the planet have things that slip through.

So yes, you can reset your system and add new fish and you've fixed the problem this time. What happens in a year when your cleanup crew is a little sparse and you bring in something on a snail shell, or you see that cool whatever and add it only to find out your whole tank is infected again.

The question here is how many times are you willing to tear down your tank and start over before you think you'd just go back to freshwater or just not have fish? You said yourself freshwater is boring. Managing and eradicating pests is a continuing struggle on the marine side of the house and it's trending worse and worse.

So yes this thread was about these fish and this time. And yes the easiest thing for you to do this time may be a reset. How many more times is that likely to be the case? I think that's the over-arching point that shouldn't get lost in all of this. This set of fish and this setup is the micro. Your entire system and your ability to maintain the hobby successfully is the macro. Don't lose sight of the macro, because of the micro.

Nothing's been missed. And who knows crap happens, anyone's tank can get it. And I'd restart my tank as long as I want fish. No interest of going back to freshwater or getting out of hobby over a little issue.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing's been missed. And who knows crap happens, anyone's tank can get it. And I'd restart my tank as long as I want fish. No interest of going back to freshwater or getting out of hobby over a little issue.
Several of us aren’t getting these pathogens in our display tanks due to proper quarantine, for what it’s worth.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s keep this civil we don’t need to personally attack each other. This is a family forum.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just close it. Not going to stop. Going to continue to have late comers with opinions. And I've been warned but I'm sure these people will skate by.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't like bull from people like you.
Just close it. Not going to stop. Going to continue to have late comers with opinions. And I've been warned but I'm sure these people will skate by.

Here's the thing... some lessons have to be learned the hard way. And that's what (I hope) this thread will be for you, a lesson learned. I'm not picking on you. I've been embarrassed in my life, and had my butt kicked good & hard by other people. So, I know how you feel right now.

That being said, I'm going to ask everyone to stop messing with @Darkartist in this thread. Just let it go now.

CJRIZZOTTI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use greenex at half recommended use for 3 days it's found on ebay for like 8 9 bucks best stuff ever will destroy ich

Garbonzobean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just read this entire thread and.....wow! I'm not here to attack or advise anyone. I recently lost the very first fish I bought to either marine velvet or ich. Not sure but I think it was velvet. Anyway my resources are limited but I know the risks. I pulled every fish. My display will be fallow until November. 3 months not 5. Fish are in a spare tank I had. 20g tall. Being treated with cupramine. I have too much beneficial bacteria and pods to "reset" my tank. Honestly the coral only tank had been the easiest to care for. No extra money involved at all. In my honest opinion, my tank has 100 times more activity since removing the fish. Every little organism comes out at all times of the day. It's fascinating. On the other hand I really miss having my fish in there. But I am not losing another fish to parasites....this time.

Markon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Last week I noticed a lot of white spots on my new Pygmy Angel. They disappeared overnight but after a week they came back. Coincidence or not, in both instances they appeared right after feeding blood worms to the fish. So we suspect that it might be something related with the food but want to rule out first if it is ich. The fish looks fine and is swimming around as usual. Pictures attached. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Marko

9D381C24-A69F-479D-8811-C18A8F329F76.jpeg 9B5C2408-A0E3-432C-B478-30A80556CA32.jpeg BE912450-3C48-4917-8B56-420DCF9560AC.jpeg D96D3AAD-085A-4A5F-98A7-6579D69EC2C8.jpeg 96C64398-810E-4BB7-A629-4094FD6FAB8E.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back