White Spots on goby and pygmy angel.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not a matter of just being able to take care of living creatures when things are going smoothly. When things come up, and they do, you have the continued responsibility to care for them.

Life is busy, I get it, but if you can't take care of them when they get sick, then you shouldn't have them in the first place.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My youngest is going to be 2 in a couple weeks. She loves "helping" :) She's usually responsible for pouring water into the tank or towel duty when there "mess"

It's an extra stresser, I get it. I'm sure we can figure out how to make this work though. We're here to support each other!

My daughter has special needs. So not all that easy for me to get her to understand things.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't buy a dog if I couldn't care for long term. Yet alone a dog without the proper shoots and papers. Who would take a dog to the park and let them go? If I was stupid enough to buy a $20 dog And couldnt pay for treatment id donate it to a organization that could care for the dog. But ultimately if dog had to many issues or no one adopted it would be put down in the end anyways cause that's the world we live in. A fish isn't a dog. I have feed and cared for them. Not throwing in a towel. Looking out for the future on my tank and future fish.

You are on a SW forum talking about flushing live fish.

What's the difference between a dog and a fish? Both are live animals.

I think you were missing his point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are on a SW forum talking about flushing live fish.

What's the difference between a dog and a fish? Both are live animals.

I think you were missing his point.
^^yup

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't buy a dog if I couldn't care for long term. Yet alone a dog without the proper shoots and papers. Who would take a dog to the park and let them go?
then why buy fish if you're not prepared to care for them long term was the point I was trying to get across. They're still animals whether it's a dog, fish, bird, or cat

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not a matter of just being able to take care of living creatures when things are going smoothly. When things come up, and they do, you have the continued responsibility to care for them.

Life is busy, I get it, but if you can't take care of them when they get sick, then you shouldn't have them in the first place.

So if you have money one week it's ok to buy a fish tank and lose your job the next your the bad guy cause you wanted to start a hobby? My life isn't perfect. Glad your is thou.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you have money one week it's ok to buy a fish tank and lose your job the next your the bad guy cause you wanted to start a hobby? My life isn't perfect. Glad your is thou.
If I lost my job, I wouldn't say something along the lines of "its only $30, I will just get more fish".

Throughout your posts you keep mentioning "easier". You are looking for the easy way out and want to be told its ok to do the easy thing, not the right thing.

The best teaching method for young children, even those with developmental issues, is to teach by example. The example you are showing is to take the easy, irresponsible way.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you just lose your job? Or is this just a non-sequitur to derail the conversation? Obviously, there are plenty of situations where you may not be able to care for a fish. Like if you get crushed by a meteor, devoured alive by alligators, fall into a coma from a major skiing accident, get thrown in prison abroad for trumped up charges and can't come home for years, get trampled by the bulls in Pamplona, etc. The list of things that could prevent you from taking care of fish is almost never-ending. So let's focus on what's going on right here, right now.

Ich is probably one of the easier diseases to treat in the hobby. The fallow period is rough, but ich is survivable and easy to treat with medication. Velvet is much more pernicious and fast moving, and may at this point be more common than ich. Fish disease is a part of owning marine saltwater fish. You said you wouldn't get a dog without shots and papers? Well a QT tank is the shots and papers for fish. Ironically, despite your complaints about cost, QT tanks are probably much cheaper than shots and papers for dogs. If you're buying fish, they're going to be sick, and you need a QT or hospital tank. If you don't have the space, money ($50 or less) or time for a 10 gallon QT, then you should give these fish away to a responsible aquarium-keeper and never buy another marine fish again. At least not until you can care for them properly.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then why buy fish if you're not prepared to care for them long term was the point I was trying to get across. They're still animals whether it's a dog, fish, bird, or cat

I understand. Not disagreeing. But your not in my shoes or my situation. Judge me all you want doesn't change anything. The fish are still alive at this point and I have qt them in a 5 gallon bucket and freshwater dipped them, if they don't make it they don't. I did my part and looking out for the future of my tank.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let someone take them off your hands if you don't want to be bothered caring for them.

Someone wants them pay 45 dollars to ship $30 in fish be my guest. I'm taking care of them, everyone needs to chill.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't buy a dog if I couldn't care for long term. Yet alone a dog without the proper shoots and papers. Who would take a dog to the park and let them go? If I was stupid enough to buy a $20 dog And couldnt pay for treatment id donate it to a organization that could care for the dog. But ultimately if dog had to many issues or no one adopted it would be put down in the end anyways cause that's the world we live in. A fish isn't a dog. I have feed and cared for them. Not throwing in a towel. Looking out for the future on my tank and future fish.
Vulgarity will not be tolerated here either. I know you aren’t a big fan of what you’re hearing from other members but I am not sure what you expected from a forum solely focused on this hobby. His point is well-made. If you don’t have time for fish, sell your tank and return when you have the ability.

Bottom line is if you cannot commit financially, nor have the time required to do anything properly, you probably should not. Disposable income is hard to come by as a single father. I have two babies and I am generally handling them due to their mother’s work schedule. It’s tough but easier to do things right the first time. Proactive versus reactive.

You may not like what’s being said but the truth isn’t always easy to absorb.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, reef-keeping isn't just a hobby. I see myself as an advocate for our oceans and the life in them. It isn't just about having a nice tank to look at.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made the comment because it's not financially smart to waste $50 plus on $30 of fish. I mention easier as in a better option then waiting 76 days to correct an issue that can be fixed sooner which wouldn't be easier as it requires more work the waiting. Don't want to be told anything not here to be told what to do here to hear opinions and gather more information.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made the comment because it's not financially smart to waste $50 plus on $30 of fish. I mention easier as in a better option then waiting 76 days to correct an issue that can be fixed sooner which wouldn't be easier as it requires more work the waiting. Don't want to be told anything not here to be told what to do here to hear opinions and gather more information.
Consider this your second warning. Swearing of any kind is now allowed, this is a family friendly forum, were all just trying to help and you're taking it all the wrong way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I didn't just make non sequitur statements like others. I understand ich is easy to treat and very common in fish. Was simply stating fast way around 76 days. And like I said my lfs does the qt for me. Never needed one before and know tons of saltwater people without them. And whatever I'm irresponsible cause I've only made a comment at this point.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have set up a small qt in the time you have spent replying to this thread, so don't talk about not having time. In an emergency a 5-gallon bucket, a heater, and meds would work. Way less than the money you would spend replacing these fish.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vulgarity will not be tolerated here either. I know you aren’t a big fan of what you’re hearing from other members but I am not sure what you expected from a forum solely focused on this hobby. His point is well-made. If you don’t have time for fish, sell your tank and return when you have the ability.

Bottom line is if you cannot commit financially, nor have the time required to do anything properly, you probably should not. Disposable income is hard to come by as a single father. I have two babies and I am generally handling them due to their mother’s work schedule. It’s tough but easier to do things right the first time. Proactive versus reactive.

You may not like what’s being said but the truth isn’t always easy to absorb.

Has nothing to do what I'm hearing. Won't be told about my parenting on a fish forum. Just because someone gives opinions doesn't mean I need to jump and spend money or even do what they say. Just cause one person uses Hanna and another api don't make either right or wrong. Every tank is different and so is every situation. What worked best for you might not for another.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back