White Spots on goby and pygmy angel.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp and or fish, will not do anything in the way of removing parasites from your system.

They basically just remove the dead skin where the parasites make entry. The parasites feeding on fish would be found on the gills.

It might be worth reading up on the lifecycle of a parasite so you can get an idea of what you are dealing with.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the fish have been pulled from the tank and freshwater dipped also didn't see any information on how fast ich starts to move through its stages. seeing as I just did a water change and noticed it right away I don't think it's has had a chance to Advanced to its other stages. Obviously the ich was already on one of my fish that I had purchased. Meaning it is already in my tank. My only option without spending a stupid amount of money on treatment that going to waste just as much time as waiting is to either see if they return to normal after dip and rest. If not pull everything and start over. Didn't see anything that said ich can live without saltwater and after tank is emptied and sterilized. So 100% start with brand new everything will be way faster then 76 days. My corals all I care about have other tank you move them to. And other live rock to start over.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is present already and immune system weakens, the cysts of ick become adults and are visible to the naked eye and likely laid eggs. That's why a recommendation of 76 (??) days is presented. 60 days is ageneral safety rule as with the presence of no hot(fish), the ich dies off due to starvation.
By chance did you change water and add water that was cooler than the tank temp? That is one trigger as is stress, aggression, poor diet and the list goes on

It's was probably temp change. I asked if I should buy another heater for water changes, multiple people said they don't.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the fish have been pulled from the tank and freshwater dipped also didn't see any information on how fast ich starts to move through its stages. seeing as I just did a water change and noticed it right away I don't think it's has had a chance to Advanced to its other stages. Obviously the ich was already on one of my fish that I had purchased. Meaning it is already in my tank. My only option without spending a stupid amount of money on treatment that going to waste just as much time as waiting is to either see if they return to normal after dip and rest. If not pull everything and start over. Didn't see anything that said ich can live without saltwater and after tank is emptied and sterilized. So 100% start with brand new everything will be way faster then 76 days. My corals all I care about have other tank you move them to. And other live rock to start over.

If a simple 5min FW dip removed all parasites. There wouldn't really be a need for QT. In the way of treating for parasites.

The fish will just be reinfected if back in the same tank.

I wish it were that simple. Trust me.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a simple 5min FW dip removed all parasites. There wouldn't really be a need for QT. In the way of treating for parasites.

The fish will just be reinfected if back in the same tank.

I wish it were that simple. Trust me.

How can they reinfect if not at the stages were they can do so? And I understand but like I said I'm my tank so I'll see if they coop with it or remove them all together and start over.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes on Friday. Gps, Jason Fox Jacko lantern, zoas. Tiger conch.

There is your culprit. Perfect amount of time for an encysted tomont to release free swimmers and begin infecting fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It's was probably temp change. I asked if I should buy another heater for water changes, multiple people said they don't.
I belueve so also on temp- a known trigger. Correct that heater not necessary however a glass thermometer to verify Tank and new water temperature match. The new water can be a tad warmer but Never cooler

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is your culprit. Perfect amount of time for an encysted tomont to release free swimmers and begin infecting fish.

But even then that's just a guess. Either way I'll give them 48 hours if look same I'll pull and restart my tank no big deal. Just glad I have backups and I'll get another heater for my water changes as the Biocube is smaller so was probably more of a shock then in my bigger tanks.. First time I've had this issue. Thank you guys.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I belueve so also on temp- a known trigger. Correct that heater not necessary however a glass thermometer to verify Tank and new water temperature match. The new water can be a tad warmer but Never cooler

It was definitely colder. Probably by a lot.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is actually a very valid article. Read it carefully.

It also explains how effective cleaner Wrasse and shrimp are...

What I was saying was that a FW dip will remove most parasites attached to the fish. It will not remove them all.

If you place the fish back into the same tank that clearly already has free swimmers. The fish are going to get hit again. And again. And again.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually a very valid article. Read it carefully.

It also explains how effective cleaner Wrasse and shrimp are...

What I was saying was that a FW dip will remove most parasites attached to the fish. It will not remove them all.

If you place the fish back into the same tank that clearly already has free swimmers. The fish are going to get hit again. And again. And again.

Makes sense. I'll just pull and flush em.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting article. Sorry for your stressful situation.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way ich can survive in a dried tank for at least 5 days with no host I will just pull everything and start over.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back