White Spots on goby and pygmy angel.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
There is no way ich can survive in a dried tank for at least 5 days with no host I will just pull everything and start over.

+1... Agree or even 2-3 weeks

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1... Agree or even 2-3 weeks

Yeah I think it would be easier. But I am going to try another way first. Test some theories as every tank is different. worse case I'm back up in 2 week max. Losing 30 dollars in fish stinks as I've grown attached but better than having coral tank for 5 months. Don't think my wallet can support that lol.

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. I'll just pull and flush em.
Whoa whoa whoa! Please don’t do that. That is wholly irresponsible. You are responsible for the care of these fish do not flush them because you introduced a parasite to them.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa whoa whoa! Please don’t do that. That is wholly irresponsible. You are responsible for the care of these fish do not flush them because you introduced a parasite to them.

Whoa whoa whoa! Have a family and responsibilities to them first. Not letting a $30 issue become a couple hundred dollars.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you never going to buy a fish again?

Restarting the tank with same rock and corals won't do a thing. As soon as you add another fish, ich and velvet will attack.

76 days without fish and quarantining everthing... coral, cuc, etc.

Maybe try ich management if you are unwilling to do the above. You'll want to shy away from fish that are known to be more impacted by it also.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do decide to restart, buy a black freshwater molly and use it as a canary before you add any marine fish.

You'll have to acclimate it slowly, but since it has zero resistance to marine diseases, it'll show ich and marine if any exist (give 2 weeks to the test). If it does, move the molly to a fish bowl and slowly reduce salinity. That'll save the fish and kill the diseases.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10g tank - $10
HOB Filter - $12
Medications - $15
PVC tube - $5

Well under $50, not hundreds.
Are you never going to buy a fish again?

Restarting the tank with same rock and corals won't do a thing. As soon as you add another fish, ich and velvet will attack.

76 days without fish and quarantining everthing... coral, cuc, etc.

Maybe try ich management if you are unwilling to do the above. You'll want to shy away from fish that are known to be more impacted by it also.

No I plan on adding more fish. Restarting tank will fix issue, didn't say I was using same rock or anything.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, you're likely to have this issue again. If you don't quarantine everything before it goes in the tank you continue to run this risk.

If you get into the habit now, you'll save yourself a lot of headache and a lot of money on lost livestock. It sounds more daunting than it is to setup a quarantine tank and start treating the fish you have. 76 days fallow doesn't mean you have to restart, just that you can't have fish in that tank. They will be fine in the 10g tank until it is safe for them to return.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do decide to restart, buy a black freshwater molly and use it as a canary before you add any marine fish.

You'll have to acclimate it slowly, but since it has zero resistance to marine diseases, it'll show ich and marine if any exist (give 2 weeks to the test). If it does, move the molly to a fish bowl and slowly reduce salinity. That'll save the fish and kill the diseases.

Thank for info.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up, this sort of act is a violation of R2R's TOS.
I strongly suggest you do what you can to save these fish
You've received some great advice from some awesome members here already.

Ethical fishkeeping:

The owners of Reef2Reef adhere to certain standards of ethical fish keeping. We believe that freshwater and saltwater aquarists are directly responsible for the health and well being of any aquatic animals in their care, be they fish or invertebrate. These responsibilities include providing a healthy aquatic environment, humane treatment, humane euthanasia (when required), as well as obtaining and disposing of aquatic animals in such a way that does not damage sensitive local ecosystems. Posts advocating the illegal collection of fish or invertebrates, inhumane treatment, flushing live animals down the toilet, or releasing them into the wild will be removed.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, you're likely to have this issue again. If you don't quarantine everything before it goes in the tank you continue to run this risk.

If you get into the habit now, you'll save yourself a lot of headache and a lot of money on lost livestock. It sounds more daunting than it is to setup a quarantine tank and start treating the fish you have. 76 days fallow doesn't mean you have to restart, just that you can't have fish in that tank. They will be fine in the 10g tank until it is safe for them to return.

That I understand risk of hobby. It was a given over 10 years of doing this hobby I was going to get it at one point. I've never quarintine anything I've had as I've trusted my lfs as they do a 30 day quarintine on everything before it's sold, I honestly believe my pygmy angel was the carrier. Bought from a new place I wasn't familiar with. But no way to know 100%. And I get where your coming from I do trust me. But single father with a lot on my plate. My time is very limited.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But future fish you buy may carry disease/parasites. And you will releat the whole process again.

Getting a qt tank will be less expensive than getting new rock.

I get that. I have so much rock it's not even funny. Bought wholesale really really nice stuff to. Plus don't think any parasite will survive on this rock once it sits in my garage for couple months at 95 to 100 degrees and dry as a bone. My lfs does quarintine I shouldn't have shopped elsewhere. But lesson learned. I get your point thou.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a dad too, albeit not a single dad. I totally get the time pressures. Maybe you can make this into a project with them? Then it doesn't turn into a time suck, but some quality time. I try and do that with my two girls when I have to get something done with the tank and they'd much rather me spend time with them.

All of this aside, if this is velvet as suspected your fish don't have long. Most succumb very quickly without treatment.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up, this sort of act is a violation of R2R's TOS.
I strongly suggest you do what you can to save these fish
You've received some great advice from some awesome members here already.

Ethical fishkeeping:

The owners of Reef2Reef adhere to certain standards of ethical fish keeping. We believe that freshwater and saltwater aquarists are directly responsible for the health and well being of any aquatic animals in their care, be they fish or invertebrate. These responsibilities include providing a healthy aquatic environment, humane treatment, humane euthanasia (when required), as well as obtaining and disposing of aquatic animals in such a way that does not damage sensitive local ecosystems. Posts advocating the illegal collection of fish or invertebrates, inhumane treatment, flushing live animals down the toilet, or releasing them into the wild will be removed.

Advice has been great but doesn't change my ability to do so. And do what you must life goes on either way.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a dad too, albeit not a single dad. I totally get the time pressures. Maybe you can make this into a project with them? Then it doesn't turn into a time suck, but some quality time. I try and do that with my two girls when I have to get something done with the tank and they'd much rather me spend time with them.

All of this aside, if this is velvet as suspected your fish don't have long. Most succumb very quickly without treatment.

That's for the future. They are not even 2. shes only old enough to just point at fish at this point in life. Make me happy she watches them thou.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advice has been great but doesn't change my ability to do so. And do what you must life goes on either way.
So let me ask you this;
Say you're out driving and you see a local farmer that has puppies for sale, 20$ each. And you think "oh thatd be great!" So you buy the dog, and get it home. A week later he starts pooping everywhere because hes suffering from stomach issues. What do you do? Just take him to a local park and let him go cuz I mean come on he was only 20 bucks so you're not out much money right? And you dont want to have to clean up poop anymore, who does?

Because that's exactly what you're doing to these poor fish. When you purchased them you accepted and took on the responsibility of feeding and caring for them to live a long and healthy life. And now that they're sick you want to just throw in the towel because it's an inconvenience to you??

Unacceptable.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's for the future. They are not even 2. shes only old enough to just point at fish at this point in life. Make me happy she watches them thou.
My youngest is going to be 2 in a couple weeks. She loves "helping" :) She's usually responsible for pouring water into the tank or towel duty when there "mess"

It's an extra stresser, I get it. I'm sure we can figure out how to make this work though. We're here to support each other!

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't buy a dog if I couldn't care for long term. Yet alone a dog without the proper shoots and papers. Who would take a dog to the park and let them go? If I was stupid enough to buy a $20 dog And couldnt pay for treatment id donate it to a organization that could care for the dog. But ultimately if dog had to many issues or no one adopted it would be put down in the end anyways cause that's the world we live in. A fish isn't a dog. I have feed and cared for them. Not throwing in a towel. Looking out for the future on my tank and future fish.

Last edited by a moderator:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back