0   0   0
Stare Staring GIF by euphoria

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t say I’ve seen much “wrasse police” but the Tang Police amuse me to no end. The funniest I’ve seen in this forum was a gentleman who had a juvenile yellow tang in something like a 10 gallon tank. I’m pretty sure he posted it to annoy the cops as he explained to the “experts” that in the wild a yellow tang swims many miles per day making their “large” tanks just as “inhumane” as his nano.

Almost as amusing as the “old timers” still claiming canister filters are “nitrate factories” and can’t be successful in the hobby unless you spend half your life cleaning them.

since I’ve personally disproven many of the Tang and canister MYTHS to be just that I always chuckle at the keyboard “experts” who continue to regurgitate old, false, or misleading information they read somewhere.

I wholeheartedly agree with this post. I have a YT and a Hippo in a 55g, running 2 canisters and a small "sump" that is really nothing more than a filter sock and a skimmer.

Pretty much everything I do with my 55 defies what is accepted as "the way it has to be done"

I rarely (maybe every 6- 10 weeks or so) test my water. I have over 60 corals in this tank along with 14 fish. I have an old Rena Filstar 350 and a new Fluval FX6 as my main filtration. I have a 10g "sump" that holds a filter sock and a large skimmer.

My tank is healthy and thriving. I can keep almost anything in it, including SPS. The SPS frags I have gotten in the last 4 months, are growing faster than any of the LPS and softies I have kept in there in the past.

One of the things that annoys me with forums, and this is true of every forum I have ever been involved with, is the people with little or no firsthand experience, parroting what they have read. I understand the desire to be helpful. People want to try and help newbies who are overwhelmed by this hobby. While there is nothing inherently wrong with this, it is misleading and ultimately leads others to face issues that may be avoidable.

For example, a newbie posts a question, you parrot a reply based on something that you read on another post. Did you follow up with the development of that tank? What if the information you read, led to a tank crash several months later? By parroting that information, you are leading this new hobbyist down a path that may in turn, lead to a catastrophic end that could be avoided.

This forum is an incredible resource! The availability of information is astounding. When I began aquarium keeping, more moons ago than I care to recall, the only information sources were books, magazines, and (least usefully) LFS employees. That said, think of the information you find here as a vast pool of differing opinions. We all have a different approach to how we deal with the challenges of this hobby.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back