Wrasses For Dummies

IAMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse dummy/newbie here. I love the Hawaiian Flame wrasse when it flashes. if not for the flashing capability Id find it a boring fish. A fish with personality are fishes I desire. for example, the Flameback Angel is currently my favorite fish due to great personality/activenesss. So question is:

1. Do ALL wrasse flash?
2. Change color during courtship?
3. What are the main reasons why you love wrasses?
4. which is/are your best of the best "flashing capable" wrasse(s)? Or specifically, superior to the Hawaiian Flame Wrasse?

Lacktaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male Hawaiian Flame has tons of personality...more so than any other fish in my tank. He nips the air bubbles off my arm when I'm reaching in the tank. I love wrasses though. My personal favorite fairy wrasse is the lineatus. Here are pics of mine both in and out of display.

551FBD5F-A98F-4636-9947-B3463DAC2489-896-0000005A117AB5A6_zps16ff3373.jpg

db1eafe206c9ec7f7fa0f5bce8c5d176_zps0815ab22.jpg

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love wrasses! Just their stunning coloration and how they go in and out of nooks and crannies. Some of them have a bit more personality than others. I have a Naoko atm and it definitely is a smart fish, always curious about its surroundings. My clowns tried to shoo it away from their anemone and it just flared its fins to make itself look bigger, I love the shark fin of the Naoko. :)

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My whip fin fairy wrasse just started flashing a while ago and it is beautiful! I just ordered 2 rhomboids and can't wait to get them! As far as the rhomboid it is the prettiest wrasse I have ever seen in person!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse dummy/newbie here. I love the Hawaiian Flame wrasse when it flashes. if not for the flashing capability Id find it a boring fish. A fish with personality are fishes I desire. for example, the Flameback Angel is currently my favorite fish due to great personality/activenesss. So question is:

1. Do ALL wrasse flash?
2. Change color during courtship?
3. What are the main reasons why you love wrasses?
4. which is/are your best of the best "flashing capable" wrasse(s)? Or specifically, superior to the Hawaiian Flame Wrasse?
Consider the non-subjective questions:

1) Yes. Any time they wish to show some sort of dominance or attraction.
2) Also yes. Males go into a nuptial state in this instance and show a much different coloration. How different is dependent upon species.

Last edited:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My whip fin fairy wrasse just started flashing a while ago and it is beautiful! I just ordered 2 rhomboids and can't wait to get them! As far as the rhomboid it is the prettiest wrasse I have ever seen in person!
Careful mixing those. Whip fins don't play well with other wrasses typically.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems there's an issue posting from the latest Android Chrome browser; keeps double posting.

Last edited:

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang it:( u think adding 2 rhomboids and them all in 120 ill be ok?

It is doubtful the Whip Fin will tolerate them. We would highly recommend that you use an acclimation box to introduce them to your tank. That way the Whip Fin can "meet and great" without doing any damage and it will give you the opportunity to watch his behavior before releasing them.

-M&T

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back