WWII Theme Aquarium

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USArmyReefer : "... you could always take said helmet and encase it in a thin layer of resin? ..."
Mangrove_Man: "...I’ve seen good and bad feedback about this approach, so I worry about reliability .."

One option that might work is methacrylate resin. It was discovered by mistake in WWII to be a safe option for implants. As physicians, we now use it to "glue" in artificial joints and to join broken bone. As you might guess, it is biologically safe for humans. I assume it might be safe for reef inhabitants, but I'd do research. The draw backs might be cost or the volume required. A ideal solution might be if someone had medically "expired" kits.

Have a great 2022,
Jim

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

R2RWelcome.jpg

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re kind to entertain the possibility! As much as I’d like to go bigger, I’m currently probably limited to 60-80 gallons. I’d want it to be shallow, primarily because I have a mangrove sapling I want to plant in the tank, so something like 48x24x12-16.
Well, on something that size, I'd say your best bet is the helmet, as even a 48" x 6" x 10" section of a plane probably wouldn't be recognizable. What *could* be done as someone else suggested is going to an Army/Navy Surplus store, or finding a Japanese helmet (or any other made-to-carry/be-worn item) and I can tell you how to take a video of it to create a 3D Model, which then can be processed to have wear/damage added, and the resulting model can be printed on a 3D Printer in PETG or PLA. Then we can color it in reef-safe pigments that don't leech things into the tank or even use a filament that is really close to the proper color and just add in the rust and wear that would have occurred. I'm just spit-balling here, but it could be done on some of the smaller items, a plane fuselage is out of the question though I think, at least until you move up in tank sizes (I'd say at minimum for even a small piece of a fuselage you'd want 72 x 48 x 36 or larger just so it's recognizable (like a wing piece, or the top half of the nose and possibly a piece of the prop or something)).

OP
OP
mangrove_man

mangrove_man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, on something that size, I'd say your best bet is the helmet, as even a 48" x 6" x 10" section of a plane probably wouldn't be recognizable. What *could* be done as someone else suggested is going to an Army/Navy Surplus store, or finding a Japanese helmet (or any other made-to-carry/be-worn item) and I can tell you how to take a video of it to create a 3D Model, which then can be processed to have wear/damage added, and the resulting model can be printed on a 3D Printer in PETG or PLA. Then we can color it in reef-safe pigments that don't leech things into the tank or even use a filament that is really close to the proper color and just add in the rust and wear that would have occurred. I'm just spit-balling here, but it could be done on some of the smaller items, a plane fuselage is out of the question though I think, at least until you move up in tank sizes (I'd say at minimum for even a small piece of a fuselage you'd want 72 x 48 x 36 or larger just so it's recognizable (like a wing piece, or the top half of the nose and possibly a piece of the prop or something)).
I’m already glad I’m here because I know little to nothing about the world of 3D printing. Other items off the top of my head could be a mortar round, a Type 91 grenade, a bayonet, even a Nambu pistol! It just fascinates me to think about all of these things that must be out there slowly being reclaimed by the ocean.

Attachments

• A4FE1231-12F1-42FE-8E47-25ACFF745909.jpeg
    A4FE1231-12F1-42FE-8E47-25ACFF745909.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 2EDC3BA2-BEFB-43BC-BEEF-2288F8B159B6.jpeg
    2EDC3BA2-BEFB-43BC-BEEF-2288F8B159B6.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 27

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m already glad I’m here because I know little to nothing about the world of 3D printing. Other items off the top of my head could be a mortar round, a Type 91 grenade, a bayonet, even a Nambu pistol! It just fascinates me to think about all of these things that must be out there slowly being reclaimed by the ocean.
Yep, all of those are relatively simple and even smaller than the helmet (which is probably the largest thing you'd want in there). So I (and many others, there's a 3D printing thread you could ask in) could probably help you out if you have some of these items available to get them into a .stl file for printing. Then you can have them printed (or some of us could likely print it for you) and painted (this isn't me, I am terrible at painting things, total nerd for computer stuff, but lack the necessary artistic skills for painting) and they can be placed into your tank. I could also weather the piece(s) you decide on and render them out so you can see visually what the final product could look like

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New here, but I’ve had tanks for as long as I can remember. For the last 48 hours, however, I’ve been obsessing over a very specific and nerdy idea I had for an aquarium display: a shallow coral reef in the waters around Peleliu (or any other island involved in the Pacific campaign). The idea would be to include items from World War II as decorations. Part of an airplane’s fuselage, a dropped Japanese helmet, etc. I don’t want a hokey miniature battleship!

Of course, metal and saltwater don’t mix, especially in an aquarium system. And there doesn’t seem to be a reliable way to seal objects for a long-term stay in salt water. The only solution I can think of would be to befriend somebody who has the means to recreate the items in an aquarium-safe material. If anybody has any ideas, I’m all ears! If nothing else, it was a fun thought experiment.

0F247974-63A2-4479-B70F-C4CCB14C35AB.jpeg E82BA332-CD30-4002-A265-6F4EA8FECE99.jpeg
Welcome to R2R.
interesting idea

Welcome to R2R.JPG

OP
OP
mangrove_man

mangrove_man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know, and this is just my opinion, so feel free to completely disagree, but just kinda seems in bad taste.
That’s absolutely something I’ve been thinking about as well. I’d certainly never want to disrespect the memory of anybody involved. Thanks for the feedback!

OP
OP
mangrove_man

mangrove_man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, all of those are relatively simple and even smaller than the helmet (which is probably the largest thing you'd want in there). So I (and many others, there's a 3D printing thread you could ask in) could probably help you out if you have some of these items available to get them into a .stl file for printing. Then you can have them printed (or some of us could likely print it for you) and painted (this isn't me, I am terrible at painting things, total nerd for computer stuff, but lack the necessary artistic skills for painting) and they can be placed into your tank. I could also weather the piece(s) you decide on and render them out so you can see visually what the final product could look like
Unfortunately already sold, but check out this American helmet that was recovered from off the coast of Normandy!

Attachments

• 17070682-52E0-4A44-8BD4-75F6DD130CCC.jpeg
    17070682-52E0-4A44-8BD4-75F6DD130CCC.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 29
  • C8B3485C-1DAF-4433-8A67-A65DBEF4DA08.jpeg
    C8B3485C-1DAF-4433-8A67-A65DBEF4DA08.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 31

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! This is a great idea! I don't think its in bad taste its almost like a war memorial if done well. Could even share pics for veterans day/remembrance day. There's a t.v show called tanked where they do all kinds of metal and electronic items in customers fowler tanks. I'm not sure what kind of resin they use but it must work long term or they wouldn't have many customers left. If your really ambitious you could custom build a tank that has a glass/acrylic box containing metal items. May be easier to clean compared to scraping algae off resin. May turn into a ball of corralline eventually, although that would look natural.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a wing coming out of the water and build rockscape around it and and a helmet laying on its side with an insignia on the part you can see like its half buried in the sand

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back