Wyoming Whites Breeding Pair

What % of the babies will be Wyoming Whites?

• Total voters

FishSticks05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the eggs survived the first night and still look good. The male and female are both "fanning" and cleaning the eggs. I have not observed this pair tending to their eggs like this before, so I think that's a great sign for them. They may finally be getting it right, but I will still hold my breath...

Good Luck!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second night complete. About 1/3 the eggs are "missing" but we still have 2/3 to work with and we are happy about that. The eggs have darken up a bit and they look good. Let's hope they continue to be good parents :bigsmile:

oceancube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congrats brian, cant wait to finally see someone produce a ww offspring from a true ww pair.... good luck and they will be the sickest clowns of them all woohooooooo :wink:

OP
OP
Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night 3 complete. Unfortunately most of the eggs are gone. Only 80-90 eggs remain. It seems like the parents are having a "midnight snack" everynight.
We may have to remove the eggs at night because at this rate there won't be any left by hatch night. Nonetheless, from what we have observed, they are taking excellent care of the eggs during the daylight hours, so they are getting some great practice tending to the eggs in these early stages :bigsmile:

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night 3 complete. Unfortunately most of the eggs are gone. Only 80-90 eggs remain. It seems like the parents are having a "midnight snack" everynight.
We may have to remove the eggs at night because at this rate there won't be any left by hatch night. Nonetheless, from what we have observed, they are taking excellent care of the eggs during the daylight hours, so they are getting some great practice tending to the eggs in these early stages :bigsmile:
This may be a stupid question but if they are ONLY eating the egg's at night could you just leave the lights on??

OP
OP
Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question but if they are ONLY eating the egg's at night could you just leave the lights on??

That's actually not a stupid question. I thought about it, but decided that it would probably stress them out too much. Instead I just used to moonlight LED's, but it didn't stop them from their midnight snack:sad:

OP
OP
Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More losses on night 4. There are only 28-35 eggs left. Not very many, but better than none. If they last tonight then that will be the record for them and only a few days away from hatch night, so I may end up pulling the tile tomorrow if there are any eggs left.

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, hopefully they will leave some eggs so there is still some more tomorrow to be able to pull out.

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations but I have a question. What is the difference between Wyoming Whites and Platinums?

OP
OP
Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, hopefully they will leave some eggs so there is still some more tomorrow to be able to pull out.
Thanks Barb! That would be very nice if they did.

Congratulations but I have a question. What is the difference between Wyoming Whites and Platinums?
Thank You! A Wyoming White is an Ocellaris and a Platinum is a Percula.

OP
OP
Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the explanation. Much appreciated

Here is some more info I found on the web. I hope it's helpful

Regarding the Platinum, this is from ORA's website:

The Platinum Percula is a magnificent white variation of the Percula Clownfish. ORA developed the Platinum Percula through years of selectively breeding our famous Picasso Clownfish. These striking fish do not exhibit any of the original striping characteristic of the species, they are typically continuously white from head to tail. As Platinums mature, they will develop beautiful black fins that really stand out against the white body and orange face.

Regarding the Wyoming White, this is from SustainableReefs.com website:

Wyoming White clownfish from C-quest may look a similar to the ORA Platinum clownfish, but they are actually very different. The Wyoming Whites are Amphiprion ocellaris and the Platinums are Amphiprion percula. The Wyoming White clownfish have a more uniform white color on the body, particularly in the chest and they have darker, and more colorful faces and fins.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night 5 had a few losses, but not that many. There are 26 eggs left and their little eyeballs are bulging :bigsmile:
I will be pulling the tile tonight...Happy 4th of July fireworks in the hatch tank!!

OP
OP
Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night 6. I moved the eggs to the hatch tank and it gave me a good opportunity to look at each eggs carefully. We are down to 19 healthy looking eggs with very silver eyes :bigsmile:
Looks like they will hatch tonight or tomorrow the latest...

OP
OP
Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Depot

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night 7. Partial hatch. We have 8 little babies. LOL. Never tried to take care of only 8 fry before, but I am up for the challenge. Hopefully the rest of them hatch tonight :bigsmile:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 44 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back