Yellow tangs small tanks

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the OP was suggesting putting a tang in an actual 20 gallon but more of a question if there are any studies versus personal opinion to actually show how detrimental it is to keep a tang in a smaller than "recommended" tank versus a large tank. If you saw our purple tang in person you'd be impressed with how vibrant and healthy he looked in the 75. If you saw him in the 200 gallon he's in now, your heart would break and he's the only tang in the tank and no other large fish are with him.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most people here (I dont think) are talking about keeping tangs in an 20 gallon tank(long or not).

No, but the OP did and hence why I quoted him and gave a detailed response based on my experience with a Yellow Tang.

OP
OP
J

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't have brains
I meant the fish. Just because they have a brain doesn't mean they have feelings. We say we're responsible for the animals that come into our tanks but then we decide which ones live or die based on emotions. Do we say a tang is not happy in a 40 gallon tank because it's not or because we think it's not?

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs want to make babies too right? I'd be upset living in a jail cell not being able to breed lol

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one of these for my tang
serveimage

We are going to Petco.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs want to make babies too right? I'd be upset living in a jail cell not being able to breed lol
This would go for most fish in our hobby then correct? I mean, how many hobbyist are having massive spawning events besides Paul b, lol. Tangs and other fish are being captive bred, is this only possible in a 1200+ gallon system? This thread is starting to go off course now... I think we as hobbyists can respect everyone's opinions and enjoy our tanks how we like.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still very confused by this topic. Can someone please point me to the scientific study that was done directing how large of an aquarium one needs to house certain fish? I stand my my initial inclination that this fiah to water ratio was created by the aquarium industry. Oh and if you post something, please make sure you include who funded the research.

OP
OP
J

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this thread seems to have run its course with no one able to provide a study or proof that a tang will suffer in a small tank. Interesting. At least that's the way I see it.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious why all these threads are tang specific. Someone posted this vid today on group im in. I think people enjoy the drama of reactions to tanks like this tbh.

This thread probably needs to die though. Not exactly an inspiring or positive read.

20200104_091242.jpg

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 79 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back