Yellow tangs small tanks

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think active swimming fish like tangs and triggers should be in short reefs, they can go so fast in nature, it just seems cruel having them knowing they are only allowed to move at 1/100th of their maximum speed. I’m also against solitary confinement for humans, people get squirrely after awhile. When I had my hippo and blue throat in my 90 I felt bad for them. It made me not enjoy my tank as much :(
I get it and I don't disagree but even a 1200 gallon tank won't mimick the space needed for a tang to exhibit what they can do in nature, that's my point.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Folks are going to justify in their minds that their tang(s) are happy in whatever size tank they have them in. You're not going to change their minds.

Tangs are open water fish and need the room to swim.

Here are two mini stories of my experiences that helped me realize:

1. A local reefer had a 12 foot tank, and I sat there in amazement watching the tangs zoom back and forth at full speed, and thought to myself, "there's a happy tang." Once you see tangs in open water (long tanks), you can appreciate their need and enjoyment to swim with speed.

2. I was involved in knocking down a 450 gallon tank that had a full grown sailfin (enormous) and three of the largest yellow tangs I ever saw. As we prepared to pull out the fish, I commented to the others there that that tank is too small for that sailfin....and we all agreed. The tank just looked small in comparison to the size of the fish.

Except part of what you're saying is not true. SOME tangs are open water fish. Others are not (personal observation in the wild) - they just kept to the same coral area for most of the day - darting in and out.

No offense - but folks are also going to justify in their own minds that others tangs are 'unhappy' based on their own ideas.

In any case - I posted a poll about tang longevity here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/curious-about-longevity-in-our-tanks-so-here-is-a-poll.676646/

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth of tangs is interesting - for the first year or 2 they grow very quickly - then the growth rate slows considerably - i.e. they reach their full growth at 40 years of age (at least this is what is thought with yellow tangs). So those that are worried that they are going to have 8 inch tangs in their tanks in 2 years - are likely mistaken. I just put up a poll on fish size - hopefully not a controversial one - and also not about tangs - but about fish longevity in general.

I have a Blue Hippo in my RS 260 (approx 55 gallons). He's been in the tank from the beginning and was small when I first got him 2 years ago. I admit, I did very little research before adding him to the tank and the LFS was happy to let me buy him without asking where it was going. Now, the current LFS I use will ask the size of the tank. And they're not afraid to tell you "this fish is 1 inch now, but will be 6 inches in a year".

I don't think he's too big yet, maybe 4 plus inches. He's not aggressive, still fits in his rock hole and seems to be doing well (as much as I can tell). But I've come to the realization he will need to be rehomed at some point. I have a RS 425 (88 gallons), but if he's too big for the 55 he's probably too big for the 88. And besides, I have that tank overstocked too!

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but your comparison isn't true. Reminiscent of my five year old son justifying coloring in his desk because "everyone else was doing it".

While I am a science-based reefer (look Ma, no google!), I also understand that there are some things that science is unable to assign a value to: such as the happiness of my fish.

I'm certainly not PETA, and not even an officer of the Tang police, but i am part of the "use your brain club" - and there is very little room for question - that the fish in the aquarium's you posted are suffering a cruel fate. Justification of that sort of treatment of animals has no room in this forum.

Your making an incorrect assumption about me.

It wasn't a question of ethical treatment, happiness, nor JUSTIFICATION. It was health and in that regard yes it's true. A soul won't post pics anymore for obvious reasons but there was no shortage of healthy extra large fish in tanks with barely enough room to move. That's where a lot of complex filtration originated. Koi ponds were another area where that was going on. It took near constant water changes but people did it.

Here's another dirty secret. When a lot of those redtail cats got too big people ate them.

As for me i don't find that enjoyable but I've had a tank similar to the one below out of ignorance. I maintained water quality with a drip system, backflush capable bead filter, and nitrate eating plants. Most would consider the fish cramped but they reached adult size in record time with no illnesses so most would consider that healthy.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, but your comparison isn't true. Reminiscent of my five year old son justifying coloring in his desk because "everyone else was doing it".

While I am a science-based reefer (look Ma, no google!), I also understand that there are some things that science is unable to assign a value to: such as the happiness of my fish.

I'm certainly not PETA, and not even an officer of the Tang police, but i am part of the "use your brain club" - and there is very little room for question - that the fish in the aquarium's you posted are suffering a cruel fate. Justification of that sort of treatment of animals has no room in this forum.
I wish you would have provided some evidence.... since you are a science based reefer. Note - this is not a 'slam' - but merely a question - I've read the science - I see little evidence for anything in science - expect for the fact that perhaps we should n't own reef tanks at all.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it and I don't disagree but even a 1200 gallon tank won't mimick the space needed for a tang to exhibit what they can do in nature, that's my point.
I agree. I wish we could all have a tank like @Hedgedrew !

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your making an incorrect assumption about me.

It wasn't a question of ethical treatment, happiness, nor JUSTIFICATION. It was health and in that regard yes it's true. A soul won't post pics anymore for obvious reasons but there was no shortage of healthy extra large fish in tanks with barely enough room to move. That's where a lot of complex filtration originated. Koi ponds were another area where that was going on. It took near constant water changes but people did it.

Here's another dirty secret. When a lot of those redtail cats got too big people ate them.

As for me i don't find that enjoyable but I've had a tank similar to the one below out of ignorance. I maintained water quality with a drip system, backflush capable bead filter, and nitrate eating plants. Most would consider the fish cramped but they reached adult size in record time with no illnesses so most would consider that healthy.

That’s a big enough tank for peacock bass. You should see how they live in south Florida. I live in the middle of the best peacock bass fishery in America, south Florida. These fish are INSANE. On hot summer days, full grown peacocks sit in 4 inches of water to get warm. They can be anywhere they want but they choose the shallow puddles. Most peacocks sit in the same area for their entire lives. Every time I go to my secret spot, the p’s are in the same spot. Just because those are big fish in a tank that seems small to you doesn’t mean it’s wrong. They are pretty chill fish to be honest. Till you throw a rapala at em ;)

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth of tangs is interesting - for the first year or 2 they grow very quickly - then the growth rate slows considerably - i.e. they reach their full growth at 40 years of age (at least this is what is thought with yellow tangs). So those that are worried that they are going to have 8 inch tangs in their tanks in 2 years - are likely mistaken. I just put up a poll on fish size - hopefully not a controversial one - and also not about tangs - but about fish longevity in general.

This is cool and frustrating at the same time lol. I have a scopas I inherited that's like 5+ yrs old. It was purchased the same time as a foxface. The foxface is 8" and the tang is smaller than my open palm. Both were tiny at purchase.

It's nice to have a roomy tank but it would also be nice if these fish would fill it in within a decent time.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've all read the post where folks go ballistic when someone shows a yellow tang in a tank they think is too small. I was just wondering if there have been any studies that have shown a decline in health or well being to a tang living in a well cared for smaller tank? Say a 20 long for example.
And no I'm not considering a tang purchase nor do I have a 20 long saltwater tank.
Yea, i am sure that they strapped a fit bit to these fish to measure how many swimming steps they get lol. Honestly, I think that the aquarium industry started this to get people to buy larger aquariums with more bells and whistles.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a big enough tank for peacock bass. You should see how they live in south Florida. I live in the middle of the best peacock bass fishery in America, south Florida. These fish are INSANE. On hot summer days, full grown peacocks sit in 4 inches of water to get warm. They can be anywhere they want but they choose the shallow puddles. Mcks sit in the same area for their entire lives. Every time I go to my secret spot, the p’s are in the same spot. Just because those are big fish in a tank that seems small to you doesn’t mean it’s wrong. They are pretty chill fish to be honest. Till you throw a rapala at em ;)

Why do people keep putting words in my mouth? Lol

I never said I thought any of those tanks are good or bad. I do the best I can do and I help others when I can. I don't care to cast judgement on anyone.

I'm simply sharing my personal experience with truly big fish and health in what some would consider questionable tanks.

Pbass are not chill lol it sounded like there was a pool party downstairs most nights

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do people keep putting words in my mouth? Lol

I never said I thought any of those tanks are good or bad. I do the best I can do and I help others when I can. I don't care to cast judgement on anyone.

I'm simply sharing my personal experience with truly big fish and health in what some would consider questionable tanks.

Pbass are not chill lol it sounded like there was a pool party downstairs most nights
You complained about tank size then posted the video. That pretty much sums up your view. And yes, p’s are chill fish. They are very territorial as any cichlid though. If you put a p in a confined space With another fish, the p will beat the hell out of the other fish.

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ...I thought the Lease-a-tang program was genius, (hilarious) as was the ambidextrous yellow gugunslinger. I was able to keep a fat happy scopas in a 55 then a 60 bow tank, I am more aware of the issues that caused, since she was essentially a serial killer who loved ornamental shrimp and crabs in / to ...bits ... I suspect if she had more room she would have been less obnoxious to new tankmates. The shrimp killing was never going to stop she seemed to really enjoy her pastime... I miss that crazy tang.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You complained about tank size then posted the video. That pretty much sums up your view. And yes, p’s are chill fish. They are very territorial as any cichlid though. If you put a p in a confined space With another fish, the p will beat the hell out of the other fish.

Alrighty. Not what I said but feel free the interpret as you please.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back