Yellow tangs small tanks

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s more about the amount of lr in small tanks that poses a problem. Tangs are grazing fish. If they don’t have plenty of lr to graze on, they will starve if they aren’t feed multiple times throughout the day.

There's more to it than that. They are very territorial and they get very belligerent/stressed when they don't have enough room. I personally have made more mistakes with fish than I'd like to admit. We owe it to research the appropriate tank size + the other factors that go into selecting fish. It's not fair to the fish and often times people just end up wasting money. It's a lose/lose when people try and go against the grain when adding fish.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's more to it than that. They are very territorial and they get very belligerent/stressed when they don't have enough room. I personally have made more mistakes with fish than I'd like to admit. We owe it to research the appropriate tank size + the other factors that go into selecting fish. It's not fair to the fish and often times people just end up wasting money. It's a lose/lose when people try and go against the grain when adding fish.
That comment was in the context of a 70 gallon tank vs a 150. A 150 is only a foot longer. But it has double the lr.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had similar experiences . A full grown sailfin is very surprising. Def opened up my eyes and helped make the hobby more enjoyable for me. Going from a little cramped flighty behavior to more open swimming relaxed makes a big difference in viewing pleasure.

That is my anecdotal experience as well. A happy tang to me looks graceful when swimming around grazing. Stressed ones hide, look jumpy, and belligerent.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That comment was in the context of a 70 gallon tank vs a 150. A 150 is only a foot longer. But it has double the lr.

And Im not saying anything about you specifically. Just my 02 when I have done stupid things with fish. I also see people always asking on the forums.;.. "Can I put 2 tangs in a 40g, Will it survive?" Or try and add fish that will almost certainly fight it out.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Im not saying anything about you specifically. Just my 02 when I have done stupid things with fish. I also see people always asking on the forums.;.. "Can I put 2 tangs in a 40g, Will it survive?" Or try and add fish that will almost certainly fight it out.
Hahaha yeah, two of any different fish in a small space is always a bad idea

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's plenty of evidence of keeping healthy fish in small tanks. It's all about water quality. It doesn't have to be tang specific.

Google jdm (Japanese domestic market). Its the predecessor of today's monsterfishkeepers.

Examples:

Monster.jpg dream.jpg

Sorry, but your comparison isn't true. Reminiscent of my five year old son justifying coloring in his desk because "everyone else was doing it".

While I am a science-based reefer (look Ma, no google!), I also understand that there are some things that science is unable to assign a value to: such as the happiness of my fish.

I'm certainly not PETA, and not even an officer of the Tang police, but i am part of the "use your brain club" - and there is very little room for question - that the fish in the aquarium's you posted are suffering a cruel fate. Justification of that sort of treatment of animals has no room in this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure I have gotten to the point where I will parrot what I have heard/read/seen and tell people certain tangs/tanks are a bad or terrible idea, but at the end of the day, when someone puts a powder and yellow and hippo in their 75, and they get ick etc and they quarantined etc and don’t know why....... I just try to remind them that for fish, stress is like a cancer...... it can and will kill them, not just “make them unhappy “

I am not the one paying for their fish, so they can put them in a 20g with 60 degree 40ppm SW for all I care..... if they think their experience will be any different than historically achieved results, more power to them

OP
OP
J

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but your comparison isn't true. Reminiscent of my five year old son justifying coloring in his desk because "everyone else was doing it".

While I am a science-based reefer (look Ma, no google!), I also understand that there are some things that science is unable to assign a value to: such as the happiness of my fish.

I'm certainly not PETA, and not even an officer of the Tang police, but i am part of the "use your brain club" - and there is very little room for question - that the fish in the aquarium's you posted are suffering a cruel fate. Justification of that sort of treatment of animals has no room in this forum.
I curious as to what observation your basing that opinion on.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the first ornamental species I saw when I started diving was a pair of mated nearly two foot long French angelfish.

At the start of the hobby they were very common, now they are hard to find. One of the first fish I saw while diving was Moorish Idols and they are still very common in the sea as they live on rotted seaweed and sponge. Things few fish eat and most fish disappeared from Hawaii but still very common in the South Pacific.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the start of the hobby they were very common, now they are hard to find. One of the first fish I saw while diving was Moorish Idols and they are still very common in the sea as they live on rotted seaweed and sponge. Things few fish eat and most fish disappeared from Hawaii but still very common in the South Pacific.
Here in Florida, the queen, emperor, and French angels are all prevent :)

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We also have a pretty good population of purple tangs. Every time I snorkel, I go holy crap is that a lot of money right there. Here fishy fishy fishy!

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a yellow in a 65 and have no issues with him/her. It is very happy, fat, and super colorful. Got it when it was the size of a quarter. It keeps my jerk clowns in check and always just chill swims. I have a lot of LR and it’s crazy how small a crack it can squeeze into. Some people would like me to get it to a bigger tank but too bad. I care very much for all my animals. I think a 100 gal minimum for a yellow tang is BS. People are way worse with having bigger dogs in an apartment or small house with no yard. That is way more of an issue and way more common especially in my redneck of the woods.

2C4F41AD-AD95-4C1C-A10F-7C63A59F0ED0.jpeg 97C89556-4D90-4F19-AF30-54D07B5CC332.jpeg 1FF98F0A-80A5-47B0-BA0D-068839D28A23.jpeg B422990F-4E30-4309-9D6A-98503B817028.jpeg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to Hawaii, snorkel for two seconds, then tell me tangs will “be happy” in a 20L....
But where do we draw the line? How can we compare the ocean to any tank? My point being I see this comparison used quite a bit so it seems moot comparing say a 4' 75 gallon compared to a 6 or 8' tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, good question would also like to know if there is anyone out there that’s still or had a lipstick tang or hippo tang in a 400 litre (about 88 gallons) reef tank it measures 4ft x 22” x 2ft ( LxWxD) successful without going bigger, I hear that the minimum tank length would have to be 6ft. It would be a shame when they reach their full size you would have to replace them again.

The growth of tangs is interesting - for the first year or 2 they grow very quickly - then the growth rate slows considerably - i.e. they reach their full growth at 40 years of age (at least this is what is thought with yellow tangs). So those that are worried that they are going to have 8 inch tangs in their tanks in 2 years - are likely mistaken. I just put up a poll on fish size - hopefully not a controversial one - and also not about tangs - but about fish longevity in general.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But where do we draw the line? How can we compare the ocean to any tank? My point being I see this comparison used quite a bit so it seems moot comparing say a 4' 75 gallon compared to a 6 or 8' tank.
I don’t think active swimming fish like tangs and triggers should be in short reefs, they can go so fast in nature, it just seems cruel having them knowing they are only allowed to move at 1/100th of their maximum speed. I’m also against solitary confinement for humans, people get squirrely after awhile. When I had my hippo and blue throat in my 90 I felt bad for them. It made me not enjoy my tank as much :(

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 100 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back