Yellow tangs small tanks

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kinda the side point isn't it. The tang police will tell you it needs at least a six foot tank but based on what.
It's funny when people ask how do you know the fish happy, how do they know their not happy? I can certainly say they we're healthy.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks are going to justify in their minds that their tang(s) are happy in whatever size tank they have them in. You're not going to change their minds.

Tangs are open water fish and need the room to swim.

Here are two mini stories of my experiences that helped me realize:

1. A local reefer had a 12 foot tank, and I sat there in amazement watching the tangs zoom back and forth at full speed, and thought to myself, "there's a happy tang." Once you see tangs in open water (long tanks), you can appreciate their need and enjoyment to swim with speed.

2. I was involved in knocking down a 450 gallon tank that had a full grown sailfin (enormous) and three of the largest yellow tangs I ever saw. As we prepared to pull out the fish, I commented to the others there that that tank is too small for that sailfin....and we all agreed. The tank just looked small in comparison to the size of the fish.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks are going to justify in their minds that their tang(s) are happy in whatever size tank they have them in. You're not going to change their minds.

1. A local reefer had a 12 foot tank, and I sat there in amazement watching the tangs zoom back and forth at full speed, and thought to myself, "there's a happy tang." Once you see tangs in open water (long tanks), you can appreciate their need and enjoyment to swim with speed.

2. I was involved in knocking down a 450 gallon tank that had a full grown sailfin (enormous) and three of the largest yellow tangs I ever saw. As we prepared to pull out the fish, I commented to the others there that that tank is too small for that sailfin....and we all agreed. The tank just looked small in comparison to the size of the fish.
I also agree that the size of the fish is part of the issue. A 12 inch tang will need more than a 70 gallon tank where as a juvenile would be fine in a 70 gallon tank.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think about it, an adult needs a bigger bed to sleep on than an infant. So does a juvenile fish need less room than an adult. It’s not that the adult swims more, the adult just needs more space to stretch its legs and turn around.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the guy that said he has a v. Tang, I hope that sucker is in a huge tank. Because those fish grow two feet long. My dad has a 14 year old V that’s over 12 inches long.

OP
OP
J

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the guy that said he has a v. Tang, I hope that sucker is in a huge tank. Because those fish grow two feet long. My dad has a 14 year old V that’s over 12 inches long.
One might question if a fish that size belongs in any home aquarium. Not saying I am.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kinda the side point isn't it. The tang police will tell you it needs at least a six foot tank but based on what.

Paul kept a hippo in a 40g for a long time....10 years? Maybe just ask him. That is probably as close to scientific as you will find. You can probably just go read his posts or what not.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine the majority of aquarium hobbyists have never seen the species they commonly want to keep in the wild. Once you observe these species in their natural environment and fully grown you get a better appreciation why the so called "tang police" is like, "what the heck are you doing?" The same goes for large angelfish. I think the better question to ask is do we deserve the privilege to just go online and order a fish that was removed from the wild from failing reefs, shipped half way around the world, grows to a foot long, and toss them into a 20, 40 or even 55 gallon tank?

OP
OP
J

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine the majority of aquarium hobbyists have never seen the species they commonly want to keep in the wild. Once you observe these species in their natural environment and fully grown you get a better appreciation why the so called "tang police" is like, "what the heck are you doing?" The same goes for large angelfish. I think the better question to ask is do we deserve the privilege to just go online and order a fish that was removed from the wild from failing reefs, shipped half way around the world, grows to a foot long, and toss them into a 20, 40 or even 55 gallon tank?
True points.
I have always found the tank size comparison to the ocean humourous. The percentage of difference in a 10 gallon to a 200 gallon when compared to the ocean is non-existent.
Truth be told I don't like big fish or big tanks. I've always been attracted to miniture stuff. Like gobies etc.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True points.
I have always found the tank size comparison to the ocean humourous. The percentage of difference in a 10 gallon to a 200 gallon when compared to the ocean is non-existent.
Truth be told I don't like big fish or big tanks. I've always been attracted to miniture stuff. Like gobies etc.
Same here. The current 45 gallon cube is the biggest I’ve gone

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True points.
My point isn't to compare tanks to the ocean, rather to consider the size and behavior of the species for the tank someone is putting them in. A 20 gallon long is much different than a 200 gallon tank. The latter will provide an acceptable captive environment for many full grown tang species. Tangs grow very quickly. The common thing we hear is "I plan on upgrading." Okay, but life can be unpredictable, why not buy the fish when you have the bigger tank? Better yet, why didn't you set up the tank for the species you really wanted? I think hobbyists are dishonest with themselves and try to justify their poor decisions.

If we encourage poor decisions in this hobby, post them online, we deserve what we get when governments cut off ornamental fish collection. Fortunately captive breeding continues to expand. Once we get to the point of freshwater breeding it really won't matter, but until then we need to be responsible when taking wild fish.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've had similar experiences . A full grown sailfin is very surprising. Def opened up my eyes and helped make the hobby more enjoyable for me. Going from a little cramped flighty behavior to more open swimming relaxed makes a big difference in viewing pleasure.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul kept a hippo in a 40g for a long time....10 years?

I think I also had a French Angel and Moorish Idol in there with him along with a few other fish, one of them a figure 8 puffer.

That was long before they invented tang police and probably before they were born.
I can't bring up my log book page now because my photobucket sharing site is down but I have posted it many times.

At that time, 1971, a 40 gallon salt tank was considered big and no one had salt water fish so we didn't know anything about tank size.
Those fish lived but their growth was stunted.

At the time I didn't know how big those fish were supposed to get and it was considered a success to even keep anything alive, much less care if the tank was big enough.

To answer your question, those fish will live, but be stunted.
Some fish will continue to grow no matter the size of the tank.

Remora,s, flounders, sea robins and I am sure others will keep growing and then die when they can't get enough oxygen from the water.

I am not quoting the internet, I have kept quite a few of all those fish.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the question of tank size is more an accumulation of experience within the hobby among countless hobbyist. Don't think anyone has actually done intensive scientific studies on the matter.

That being said I have been researching hippo tangs for a while and looking at how other people have kept them successfully. I've come to the conclusion that while it's less risky to house one in a tank that is 6 feet long, as long as I have enough room for it to swim around the rock work of the tank, then my 120 gallon 4 foot long tank should suffice. BUT, I know that I am taking risk, therefore if people want to give me flack for it, then I accept that.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I also had a French Angel and Moorish Idol in there with him along with a few other fish, one of them a figure 8 puffer.

That was long before they invented tang police and probably before they were born.
I can't bring up my log book page now because my photobucket sharing site is down but I have posted it many times.

At that time, 1971, a 40 gallon salt tank was considered big and no one had salt water fish so we didn't know anything about tank size.
Those fish lived but their growth was stunted.

At the time I didn't know how big those fish were supposed to get and it was considered a success to even keep anything alive, much less care if the tank was big enough.

To answer your question, those fish will live, but be stunted.
Some fish will continue to grow no matter the size of the tank.

Remora,s, flounders, sea robins and I am sure others will keep growing and then die when they can't get enough oxygen from the water.

I am not quoting the internet, I have kept quite a few of all those fish.
One of the first ornamental species I saw when I started diving was a pair of mated nearly two foot long French angelfish. Not dinner plate size, rather serving dish. Now when I see them in fish stores I tell them, "don't worry, buddy. It will all be over soon." :rolleyes:

OP
OP
J

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point isn't to compare tanks to the ocean, rather to consider the size and behavior of the species for the tank someone is putting them in. A 20 gallon long is much different than a 200 gallon tank. The latter will provide an acceptable captive environment for many full grown tang species. Tangs grow very quickly. The common thing we hear is "I plan on upgrading." Okay, but life can be unpredictable, why not buy the fish when you have the bigger tank? Better yet, why didn't you set up the tank for the species you really wanted? I think hobbyists are dishonest with themselves and try to justify their poor decisions.

If we encourage poor decisions in this hobby, post them online, we deserve what we get when governments cut off ornamental fish collection. Fortunately captive breeding continues to expand. Once we get to the point of freshwater breeding it really won't matter, but until then we need to be responsible when taking wild fish.
I agree

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%

Back