Yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck!! I’ve just learned about Flukes..

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I never quarantine any new fish (I know, shame on me) and so far that’s worked fine for me. I partially don’t quarantine because I’m lazy (no point in lying about it), but mainly because healthy fish are capable of beating illness.

Anyways, I purchased a royal gramma from my LFS (WWC) on Thursday and noticed it was still hiding a lot, swam in pretty much one spot, wasn’t too active, etc. Today after performing my usual inspection of the tank, I noticed he had raised gills so I decided to do a freshwater dip. After various attempts I caught him and left him in some RODI water. After three minutes, I noticed these things on his tail.
BE275E18-6F4F-4690-8B34-16D791D9C13B.jpeg

After some research, I learned my little guy has flukes. I’m not fond of purchasing from WWC, as its not the first time I find a pest or purchase a sick fish :rolleyes: But check these guys out!! I had no clue flukes were even a thing, and I’m glad I caught them before they spread..
BEC98184-CB70-4B34-9918-FC21D15F6C87.png
4DD8AC05-AD85-44FB-ABBD-F5EAF9FACF76.jpeg

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Job! He should bounce right back! That’s good husbandry!

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good husbandry!
That is like the ultimate compliment lol

Thank you both! He’s in the sump for now while he recuperates. I’ll do an additional FW dip in about two days to double check that there’s no more flukes left and he should be better in no time :) I feel bad for him, I wonder how long he’s been sick...

I also found my clown goby in the overflow today, he looks like he has ich due to all the stress. So I’ll have to get a tx going for him as well. Kinda glad, I thought I’d run out of things to do for the tank once all of the equipment was running but it’s always kept me busy lol

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 103 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back