Zebra barred dartfish - marriage or divorce?

HarperFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two zebra barred dartfish since March. They have always been together - both heads peaking out of the same spot, swimming together - all's well. Now all seems to not be well. This morning their heads were poking out of two different sides of the tank. One (I call him Harry) has grown much longer fins that hang down under his chest - and I might have even seen a beard like fin yesterday. He seems to have gotten in a spat and his tail fin has some damage. He has been flashing all of his fins regularly the last few days. Also, the yellow spot on the top of his head is getting darker. The other one (I call him Lloyd) does not have the long fin growth or color changes. He is not flashing his fins, and has no damage. However, he runs the other way when Harry gets near. Could they be changing to Harry and Lola? The reason I ask that is this behavior is somewhat reminiscent of when my clowns Stan and Oliver became Stan and Olivia. Any insight would be appreciated - particularly in how long they are going to bicker, and will there be peace again someday?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Harry Met Lloyd: Dumb and Dumberer... :D
Yes, you might have to rename your fish Harry and Sally. On the other hand, they could just be divvying up the tank (you didn't mention how large your tank is).

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.5%
Back