Zoa Genetic Crossover experiment. 1.0

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. i have 2 frags right in the front of my frag rack. 1 blue agaves and 1 lunar type morph (unreal bright skirt) and saw they both had single polyps getting ready to "leave" the family on the frag. decided to take this opportunity to try some genetic "breeding". ill try to take new pics every 2 weeks or if i see anything happening. Curious if anyone else has had success doing this. i've done it with monti caps and had successful fusing but lost it all to nudis.

ready to leave:
IMG_5442.jpg

IMG_5443.jpg

after cut
IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5451.jpg

family back in the tank
IMG_5453.jpg

ready for new home
IMG_5454.jpg

new couple
IMG_5457.jpg

IMG_5461.jpg

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how this would be "genetic breeding" when all it seems that you're doing is mounting 2 different types of Zoanthids, on the same plug. Or is there something I'm missing, where you're actually extracting DNA and crossing it, from one, to the other?

Teeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking that they will both grow indepently, but intersted to see if anything happens. Good luck, keep us posted.

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how this would be "genetic breeding" when all it seems that you're doing is mounting 2 different types of Zoanthids, on the same plug. Or is there something I'm missing, where you're actually extracting DNA and crossing it, from one, to the other?

lol I just said that to hype up this thread! nah It sounded cool and sci fi when i thought of it. the sides that are touching are actually "open, fresh wounds" so thinking it might cross and grow some freak babies?? as far as specifics this PE type is different to the lunar "morph" so we'll see.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree. Cut them in half and put them together and see what happens.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait to see what happens!

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe. hopefully a new type with both patterning or a completely new patter comes out. i'll keep updating this thread when i see something happening.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that it isnt possible, but I've never gotten a genetic crossover from a splice. Sorry to be a downer, but the odds of success with a people-eater and non pe are probably even lower.

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that it isnt possible, but I've never gotten a genetic crossover from a splice. Sorry to be a downer, but the odds of success with a people-eater and non pe are probably even lower.

nah no worries. you never know until you try. You could do this 100x and have it take on the 99th time. Plus it's not taking up any of my time. i just observe once a day!

Sugo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't coral reef magazine try something SIMILAR to this with positive results?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't there enough morphs and same polyps named 30 times already??? :tongue: polyps are way to unpredictable for me to ever gain intrest... One is $4 and the next one identical but slighty brighter in person is $400 I never did get it...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back