Zoa Genetic Crossover experiment. 1.0

Sugo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't there enough morphs and same polyps named 30 times already??? :tongue: polyps are way to unpredictable for me to ever gain intrest... One is $4 and the next one identical but slighty brighter in person is $400 I never did get it...

Correct me if I'm wrong OP, but his experiment isn't to create a $4 or $400 polyp but to see if this fusion is possible.

Gitsoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't there enough morphs and same polyps named 30 times already??? :tongue: polyps are way to unpredictable for me to ever gain intrest... One is $4 and the next one identical but slighty brighter in person is $400 I never did get it...

I know what you mean but for me it's chalices... I see some chalices that go for super cheap but then another that looks almost identical go for hundreds and the frags are smaller then a dime. BUT I love zoas and after gazing at so many variations you start to spot the differences and patterns... that probably goes the same for the chalice enthusiasts.

Sugo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean but for me it's chalices... I see some chalices that go for super cheap but then another that looks almost identical go for hundreds and the frags are smaller then a dime. BUT I love zoas and after gazing at so many variations you start to spot the differences and patterns... that probably goes the same for the chalice enthusiasts.

+1 Well put.

Im that way with you stick guys lol I don't see the craze yet.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to end up with a mutant LunarPE morph that climbs out of the tank, eats you and then blasts off for the moon!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't referring to secrets little recipe I was comparing cars, caor,bowsers, 5 color rainbows etc... All identical polyps IMHO just different $ tags....:tongue:

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol Lee, i'm gonna call these Lowzers and sell em for 1 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!

dr-evil.jpg

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think title is misleading because it has nothing to do with genetics!
it has everything to do with zooxanthellae

look up grafting corals, there are a few people out there doing this! I am doing this with some pe palys
and with a couple monti caps with the monti caps I have a tyree undata I am trying to get a bright orange to share some zooxanthellae with it

Last edited:
OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CHILLLLLLL..... this was started as a FUN home experiment to see what would happen, not some fully funded R&D experiment.........and yes myself and other reefers already know sps have been grafted for awhile now........ if you've been successful could you post some pics? we'd all be very interested to see your results.

I think title is misleading because it has nothing to do with genetics!
it has everything to do with zooxanthellae

look up grafting corals, there are a few people out there doing this! I am doing this with some pe palys
and with a couple monti caps with the monti caps I have a tyree undata I am trying to get a bright orange to share some zooxanthellae with it

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update. btw. this morning i saw a baby bud coming out right where (seems like) both raw cuts were connected. i'll post a pic tonight.

Madreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CHILLLLLLL..... this was started as a FUN home experiment to see what would happen, not some fully funded R&D experiment.........and yes myself and other reefers already know sps have been grafted for awhile now........ if you've been successful could you post some pics? we'd all be very interested to see your results.

I'm not sure what you consider grafting? In the plant sense(growing different species in one plant) a graft is not possible with acropora or montipora as far as I know. I think a lot of the problem lies with getting two different colors that are in fact the same species.

As far as zoas/palys; now it's somewhat common to see nuclear deaths. I don't believe they hold their morph however. Much like many "grafted" acros and montis that don't keep their green "grafts" long term.

I do support what your trying to do, but I think there is some tweaking to your methods that will increase your success. I hope you continue this experiment with other zoas and palys in your collection. GL

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks madreef! My chill reply was meant for Mainereefer...lol...This is what i consider grafting as done by Tyree and others. Limited Editions Acropora simplex Grafted Simplex . I started this since i really haven't seen anyone document and do the "crossover" with zoas so i had a couple polyps i could experiment with lying around so decided to try my luck. I definitely want to try this out with other PE's tho and will.

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
updated 2 nov 11. baby coming out . looks like a lunar tentacles but it did look a little pale in the middle. sorry halides went off and leds went on right before i snapped this pic....

IMG_8420.jpg

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chill ? didnt know I was getting rowdy lol! I will post some pics in a couple weeks of the results sorry its a secret which corals I am using to make what, but there name will be designers people eater

a secret is you can take zooxanthellae from one polyp and inject it into the baby polyp of another and get the same results as growing them together
now having this turn into a problem is very possible every joe blow is going to create there own polyp to try and get rich of

I originally did this to see if it would work I have found you need to really damage the polyps to get them to morph together and share the zooxanthellae basically cutting into there stomach and taping and gluing them together
same as the sps you have to damage them to get them to heal with the other corals zooxanthellae

I would hate to see any "new-be" trying this because it can be fatal to the corals from infection, mixing not compatible corals, ......... like palys if you put a lunar eclipse with a people eater they will kill each other. yes they are both palys put different kinds

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah bud, it is just being Dr
Frankenstein and splicing polyps at their stomachs using super glue, duct tape, and 22 gauge medical needles, everybody has already done it with good results. (I guess you missed the memo). Pics will come in a couple weeks...I'm gonna make one with my initials across the mouth. ;)

All sarcasm aside, do you have any pics of the PE polyps you have already been successful with. Also, I don't think undata and capricornis isn't the same species...If zooxanthellae is species specific or whatever

Last edited:
OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks buddy. lol you should've pm'D me the secret. now it's gonna be your fault for every "new-be" on R2R making designer PE's LOL. well i understand the "mixing" of different palys/zoas might be a no no, etc..etc... but this is a experiment since i didn't find any information of anyone doing what you're doing i just rolled with it. More like i had 2 polyps right in front of my face and the idea just happened. But it is what it is. I'll continue to experiment with other zoas/palys definitely. If you've already been successful could you post some successful pics with your zoas and montipora? You could just post pics and not disclose what zoas/palys you used....:crossedlips:

chill ? didnt know I was getting rowdy lol! I will post some pics in a couple weeks of the results sorry its a secret which corals I am using to make what, but there name will be designers people eater

a secret is you can take zooxanthellae from one polyp and inject it into the baby polyp of another and get the same results as growing them together
now having this turn into a problem is very possible every joe blow is going to create there own polyp to try and get rich of

I originally did this to see if it would work I have found you need to really damage the polyps to get them to morph together and share the zooxanthellae basically cutting into there stomach and taping and gluing them together
same as the sps you have to damage them to get them to heal with the other corals zooxanthellae

I would hate to see any "new-be" trying this because it can be fatal to the corals from infection, mixing not compatible corals, ......... like palys if you put a lunar eclipse with a people eater they will kill each other. yes they are both palys put different kinds

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 55 32.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back