OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks man! and of course one of these agave whatevers are going in your system! They seem to grow very well! :xd:

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is cool. I've always wondered if there is actually some exchange of DNA or the zooanthellae just take the opportunity to occupy an adjacent coral? And what makes one color zoanthellae stick to one particular kind of polyp? Are different color zooanthellae different color organisms or does something in the interaction with a specific coral make them produce more of a particular pigment?

I do know that the exchange of genetic material between different species does occur in the natural world, viruses and bacteria do this.....time for some reading.

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks G. According to some reefers they said it was impossible. Well on a whim i made it possible.....

euphoricgear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens a lot with dragon eyes and watermelons and purple deaths and nuclear greens (two face).
Question is, will it stay the same color or will it revert back to either original paly when they start popping out babies.

Cool color combination by the way. :)

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank euphoric, not sure how long it will stay. the agave whatevers have kept the orange and they're pretty good sized already but i'm still holding onto the frag and just letting it grow out.

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll throw a pic up later. i've been sick for the past 2+ weeks. finally went to the MD and got antibiotics yesterday.

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no no no. "THIS IS NOT A HYPE THREAD" .steps down from podium.... i started this with some polyps that were available and just wanted to see what would happen. i haven't sold any of these and I don't plan to. LOL sorry on the delay for the updated picture. I can say these have been growing VERY well tho. better than the original Blue Agaves for sure. seems like this "experiment" has definitely given birth to a quicker/hardier growing type Agave.

Starblenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no no no. "THIS IS NOT A HYPE THREAD" .steps down from podium.... i started this with some polyps that were available and just wanted to see what would happen. i haven't sold any of these and I don't plan to. LOL sorry on the delay for the updated picture. I can say these have been growing VERY well tho. better than the original Blue Agaves for sure. seems like this "experiment" has definitely given birth to a quicker/hardier growing type Agave.

I was also thinking of the same thing. What if we get one zoa that's a notorious melter/slow grower and add it to a hardier/fast grower zoa? Would it be more hardier than before? I would like to try this to my Mary Jane zoas (when it grows to a nice colony size), since they're nearly impossible to grow in my tank *sigh*

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're starting out with less hardier zoas it's possible, but will be difficult.

OP
OP
secretreefer

secretreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: so i got more brave and my AOG colony needed to be fragged. 1 week ago while picking up my antibiotics, I picked up a diabetic syringe from my local drug store. 3 different tests. 1 frag Unknown PE, 1 frag AOGs, 1 frag Blue Agaves. The actual injections happened 3 days ago. Syringe was cleaned with fresh DT water after each test.

1. I injected a Uknown PE zoa and sucked out some "tissue/liquid/DNA" and proceeded to inject the AOG frag with it.
2. I injected a AOG zoa and sucked out some "tissue/liquid/DNA" and proceeded to inject the Blue Agave frag with it.
3. 1 injected a Blue Agave zoa and sucked out some "tissue/liquid/DNA" and proceeded to inject the Unknown PE frag with it.

We'll see what happens....Don't know what will happen.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back