*** 10 WINNERS!! WIN a BRAND NEW Natura iCon Reef Light in The Amazing Orphek Giveaway!! $8,000+ in Prizes!! ***

Bella7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DAILY QUESTION: What tips do you have for new aquarists about choosing the right reef lighting?
DAILY QUESTION RESPONSE: When choosing reef lighting, prioritize the needs of your corals and other tank inhabitants by selecting a light that provides the right intensity (PAR) and spectrum, particularly in the blue range for coral growth. LED systems are popular for their energy efficiency, customizability, and longevity, though T5s offer broad coverage, and metal halides are great for high-demand corals. Ensure even light distribution across your tank, manage heat to maintain stable temperatures, and consider programmable features for simulating natural light cycles, including moonlight. While lighting can be a significant investment, quality options will support healthier corals and a thriving reef.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DAILY QUESTION: What tips do you have for new aquarists about choosing the right reef lighting?
It really depends on budget, but also don't eliminate that a more expensive light with lower power consumption will save you more money long term. That and I would now argue spectrum is actually important for coral health.

SmithsWrld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DAILY QUESTION: What are your expectations for coral color enhancement with the Natura iCon’s advanced spectrum?
I am expecting to have a brand new experience looking at my tank. My current light provides great color but not to the extent of Orphek light upgrade. I also think it’ll provide a more healthy environment. I too think there will be a more rapid growth rate on my corals w/ a possibility of spawning.

SmithsWrld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and for most, figure out what corals you want to have in the tank. Just SPS a mixed Los and softies just softies. Once that is figured out you’ll be able to look at lights. This meaning you may not need a crazy powerful light if your not into harder corals. But I do still recommend a light buying a light capable of growing SPS even if it only gets you some easier acros that don’t need insane par. The light is one of the main if not the main source of life for your corals.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I recommend getting something that is proven to do what you want it to do. Expensive doesn't always mean better.

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummmm. I feel like lots of reading is key, especially forums/reviews for real life experience. I feel like the specs can sometimes confuse me more then help. They are a good starting point, but reading what other people are running into running a light is useful.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan ahead and you will be able to use ypur lights when you inevitably upgrade to a bigger tank..haha. Also, less is more as far as intensity. Start low.and slow and work the light intensity up as needed because all lights aren't created equally as far as power/par

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s impossible to tell what PAR you have by looking at the tank. Either get a PAR meter or ask someone with similar lights for their recommendations

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tip would be to buy what the budget allows and not what would impress the most strangers on the Internet. But I probably shouldn't say that on an orphak thread...

A-10reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a light that has a great spectrum and par out. Research and read reviews on the app functionality and control ability of the lights. You can always turn down the intensity to meet your needs, which is better than buying a cheap low power light that youll need to replace

Joel j

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OFFICIAL ENTRY: I just started my first reef tank and am using the gear I had for a planted fresh water tank. It would be awesome to be able to replace my plant light with a reef light!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT AREA OF REEFING IS YOUR WEAKEST? EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWER IN THE COMMENTS!

• Chemistry and Nutrient Knowledge and Management.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Disease and Pest Control.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Livestock Care.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Technology and Equipment Knowledge.

• Other (please explain).

Back