Best time of the year to buy a new tank on sale?

Best time of year to buy a new tank?

• Black Friday/Cyber Monday

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • Holiday Sales

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • New Year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tax Rebate Sales

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Summer Sales

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Other (Explain In Comments)

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

I wanted to run a question by you all today. I will be in the market for a new Red Sea Reefer 250 or 350 soon and I was wondering, do these tanks (or mass produced tanks from other brands) have a period of the year when they are more likely to go on sale?

What are your thoughts? Should I jump at the first sale this holiday season, or wait for something better after the new year?

I'd also have to consider the craziness of shipping at the time of purchase, meaning Christmas sales might actually pose the risk of damaging the tank due to how many other packages are being shipped under increased pressure to meet deadlines.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my reefer on sale from BRS on blackfriday. I never saw any better deals.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some online dealers have sales around convention times. MACNA, Reef-a-palooza, etc....

Right now saltwateraquariums.com has 10% off. Not huge but would save $135-$165.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Friday offers some deals, also this tends to be a non-summer hobby.

The traffic on R2R tends to really drop during summer; people are busy with vacations and kids. Things pick up after summer

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so glad last year I had the patience to hold off for black friday, it's when things really do getting smoking hot in this hobby. Some MAP stuff doesn't move much, if at all, but those companies lost my business.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like new cars.... i never buy a new car.... let someone else take the depreciation

On Craigslist there are dozens of people quiting the hobby every month.

I got my 180g 6ft from a guy who took a new outta town job and had a everything-gotta-go-sale-weekend and sold me the tank for $200 cash. Tank didnt have a scratch on it, looked brandnew even though it was 180mos old. Claims he bought it new from around $2k. i got it for $200.

Deals like this happening EVERYDAY. I think your a fool buying a new tank when there are dozens upon dozens used ones in mint condition listed on Craigslist weekly.

Last edited:

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like new cars.... i never buy a new car.... let someone else take the depreciation

I got my 180g 6ft from a guy who took a new outta town job and had a everything-gotta-go-sale-weekend and sold me the tank for $200 cash. Tank didnt have a scratch on it, looked brandnew even though it was 180mos old. Claims he bought it new from around $2k. i got it for $200.

Deals like this happening EVERYDAY. I think your a fool buying a new tank when there are dozens upon dozens used ones in mint condition listed on Craigslist weekly.

I think you're a "fool" for telling someone how to spend their money.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got my 180g 6ft from a guy who took a new outta town job and had a everything-gotta-go-sale weekend and sold me the tank for $200 cash. Tank didnt have a scratch on it, looked brandnew even though it was 180mos old. Claims he bought it new from around $2k. i got it for $200.

Deals like this happening EVERYDAY. I think your a reef-fool buying a new tank when there are dozens upon dozens used ones in mint condition listed on Craigslist weekly.

Really depends where you live and what country your in.

My local craigslist have nearly nothing saltwater related, and if you want something specific like a Red Sea tank, they rarely show up used.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has sales that do not coincide with other sales. Most recently red sea tanks were 20% off.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some online dealers have sales around convention times. MACNA, Reef-a-palooza, etc....

Right now saltwateraquariums.com has 10% off. Not huge but would save $135-$165.
10% off is most I have ever seen on these tanks, sometimes they will have coupons for 15% off one item but it always excludes Red Sea tanks.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well I'll have you know I bought a new 2017 Chevy Colorado off the showroom floor last year and I don't regret anything about it.

Sure you take a hit with the depreciation, but if it's not something you're going to sell for several years, if ever, why does it matter? Plus everything is all shiny and new and doesn't smell like someone smoked something in it or their dog threw up on the seats a few times.

My philosophy with used tanks (and used cars) is that you buy the tank as well as the previous owners problems. With used tanks you run the risk of jeopardized silicone joints, shoddy overflow holes, crooked stands, etc. With a new tank from Red Sea, you get the piece of mind that the new tank at least has a warranty period where if something does go wrong, you can at least probably get your money back or a replacement. That's worth it for me in sacrifice of a few hundred dollars saved.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your local reef forum. You should be able to get about half off on almost new systems.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your local reef forum. You should be able to get about half off on almost new systems.
Unfortunately it seems that my local reef forum disbanded shorty before I moved to South Florida, there's a Miami group so I'll check it out

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My philosophy with used tanks (and used cars) is that you buy the tank as well as the previous owners problems

Disagree....

You're buy a tank from someone getting out of the hobby. There are no problems with the tank. Most are near mint and 20cents of the $1 of a new one

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're a "fool" for telling someone how to spend their money.

I'm entitled to my opinion

Doesnt make sense sending $3000 on a brand new tank when really nice used tanks can be bought in near mint condition for $300

I'll take that $2700 savings 24/7 and go buy a new LED light system, skimmer and other accessories

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 40 40.0%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back