Bigger isn't always better...

Frosty Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Winter, 2012: Not the movie, but the year I jumped ship and added salt to my aquariums.

It started with the want for something more challenging, something different, something small.

I went onto Craigslist, like every other broke college student--I was searching for a small salt water system that I could hide in my apartment with my girlfriend (who is now my wife) and our two cats, Jynx (aka Darkenss &/or Sunshine) and Doodle (aka Yankee Doodle Man Dangle Nation). All three of them approved of my freshwater hobby, and were willing to jump ship with me on over to the NaCl side of things.

I had everything--from guppies to angels to discus to fully planted aquariums--but that wasn't enough.

While Googling my life away, I read nano aquariums are very difficult to keep. I always enjoyed a challenge, and I couldn't afford anything much larger anyway--so the search was on.

Getting lucky, within the first month someone posted a JBJ XD 12 gallon nano aquarium stocked with live rock covered in coraline algae and 2 clowns. I'd done research prior to reaching out, and took a trip over to the guy's house to check out what he had. His water was a frigid 60 degrees and the fish were clinging on for dear life.

I felt bad for the 2 clowns--I knew 60 degrees was far too cold. I bought the whole setup, but I never really intended on keeping those "starter fish", except they sorta grew on me as time went by and are still with us now.

Since then, I've learned a lot: I've done TONS of reading on forums, in books, and online. I've been to a lot of fish shows and to many different "LFSs." Here's my tank and its travels:

OP
OP
Frosty Latte

Frosty Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 months after my tank was up and running in my care, I went to my first frag swap! It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot from many experienced reefers. My goal was to pick up two things: skunk cleaner shrimp and an anemone. While wondering about, I tried my luck at the wheel of fortune game and won a nephthea. Of course, some pulsing Xenia caught my eye and came home with me too. My coral addiction was just starting...

040.JPG

OP
OP
Frosty Latte

Frosty Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One month after feeding almost daily, my anemone grew large. Clowns took 3 months before they all of a sudden "realized" there was a nem for them in there to sleep and hide in... What wonderful and weird creatures.

044.JPG

The nem started to look really good, then it split! All of this was under the original U shaped T5 lighting that came with the tank. New equipment I added after the Craigslist deal was two new lights, rotating exhaust water flow, new pump, eliminated in tank pump for fear of nem soup, and discovered a bag of carbon deep in the back that was instantly removed as it had basically become a horrid smelling pile of mud.

052.JPG

I also discovered that my tank had some hidden treasures of its own: kenyan trees, blue mushrooms, striped green mushrooms, and many little tiny starfish. More pictures to follow.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 65 46.1%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 29 20.6%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 35 24.8%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 18 12.8%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 38 27.0%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back