Custom building my "New Frag System" picked up my glass yesterday

beantown105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So do you glue the side panels to the bottom glass or just use the silicon and do you leave a gap between the panels? Awesome work I just want to be able to replicate the same thing

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you glue the side panels to the bottom glass or just use the silicon and do you leave a gap between the panels? Awesome work I just want to be able to replicate the same thing
There is NEVER a glue. High quality silicone is your adhesive. Some people use rubber clear tabs to keep a "wanted gap" I do it by eye, but I've been doing this for 25 years.
There is a layer of silicone left between all panels

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back eurobrace set first then the front panel, the order it goes together helps with seam setting and clean up.

IMG_8966.JPEG

IMG_8967.JPEG

IMG_8968.JPEG

IMG_8970.JPEG

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually is very easy once you have the technic and timing down.
The key is everything cleaned, prepped, and all tools, silicones and clamps all lined out and ready. Once you start a panel you have to go through the entire steps all at once and quickly so the seams are esthetically pleasing, and strong.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually is very easy once you have the technic and timing down.
The key is everything cleaned, prepped, and all tools, silicones and clamps all lined out and ready. Once you start a panel you have to go through the entire steps all at once and quickly so the seams are esthetically pleasing, and strong.

Have you ever done a write up outlining the process and tools needed? I'd love to read one and give this a try at some point.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever done a write up outlining the process and tools needed? I'd love to read one and give this a try at some point.
I never have, as you can probably tell from my posts, I'm not the best writer around...... :)

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of a tank with an overflow like that, do you use two drain lines? Where do the return lines go?

More pics of skimmer?? :)

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! youre clipping along! so the euro bracing is glass? how will you keep from cutting yourself on the edge?
it's what the industry calls, "Seamed Glass Edges" no need to waste money on machine beveled and polished edges. Would have raised the glass price by $400.00 to be machine bevel polished.
The edges are belt sanded with special glass sand paper usually from C.R. Laurence glass supply company

Last edited:
OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of a tank with an overflow like that, do you use two drain lines? Where do the return lines go?

More pics of skimmer?? :)
2 drain lines, 1 is a 3" bulkhead sch 80 the other is a 1" bulkhead emergency overflow.

They will tie into one drain under stand then drain into main 850 gallon system sump.

See my tank thread for details of skimmer I custom built myself or this link

Last edited:

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I know anything about building a large tank and I am not trying to be critical or anything just asking. Doesnt that gap remove the effectiveness of the euro brace?
Somewhat. But in his case, he doesn't need a eurobrace and only has it for a little shelf on top tank

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat. But in his case, he doesn't need a eurobrace and only has it for a little shelf on top tank
That is what I figured, and the long braces are attached to 3 side walls also probably adding most of the bracing needed. Really just like to see reasoning on these things as I am looking at possibly getting a really large tank that will need resealing, it also has black trim (not sure why and probably why it wasnt ever used in the lfs) that will be replaced with euro brace if and when this happens. I have built a few smaller tanks and resealed a 75 removing trim and euro bracing it, Nothing this large though.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I know anything about building a large tank and I am not trying to be critical or anything just asking. Doesnt that gap remove the effectiveness of the euro brace?
It does remove a small amount of effectiveness, but the chord management was more important to me as the Euro Bracing is more for a work shelf than it is for support strength. The only flex I was worried about was the long sides of 72" and they are siliconed on 3 surfaces. Thanks for commenting, because it helps the entire forum members following understand different processes that are possible.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 57 25.4%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 98 43.8%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 56 25.0%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 13 5.8%
Back