Hydraulic cement

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having never used hydraulic cement before I am looking for opinions as to it's use, as well as any comparable products that will allow me to make a rock steady aquascape out of dry liverock.

Lets hear it.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, ive used the Emarco400 and its great! Honestly, after using it to build my scape, I wouldnt use anything else in the future.

theres a bit of a learning curve, but its not terrible. Basically, you want to mix the "mortar" a bit thick and make sure you spray the areas where it will be applied. build your scape in sections, and then put the sections together and dont try to move/lift the freshly attached pieces for at least 10-12 hours/preferably overnight, so it sets and cures proper.
heres the left side/main section of my scape for the 120, before going into the tank.

IMG_4027.JPG

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure. I dont have one of those close to me. The product i used, was from marco rocks, but I know it is available from building supply stores as EmacoGP and Acryl60(you need both). However, getting it from a supply house will mean buying in much larger quantities(50# bag).

I got the 15# kit from marco and it was more than enough. comes with the cement and the acryl60 ready to go. I dont think i used more than half of it.

http://www.marcorocks.com/aquascape-supplies/e-marco-400/

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want a Thorite cement and Acryl 60 or an Emaco 400 or 427 (which is already blended with modified polymer). Marco rock sells a Thorite cement which I have to believe is supplied by Emaco, because he calls it Emarco. That is what @Jlobes is referring to above.

And if you go this route, only mix up what you can use within a few minutes....this stuff sets up real fast.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not surprised....it's been some time since I've used this stuff. More tips....I found it best to wear disposable gloves and get your hands right in there to smooth this stuff around. Pick it up likes it's clay and mold it around your rocks. Trying to use a putty knife or any other tools just takes too long. And again, you'll be surprised how fast it sets. Get dirty and get in there!

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not surprised....it's been some time since I've used this stuff. More tips....I found it best to wear disposable gloves and get your hands right in there to smooth this stuff around. Pick it up likes it's clay and mold it around your rocks. Trying to use a putty knife or any other tools just takes too long. And again, you'll be surprised how fast it sets. Get dirty and get in there!

this +10. definitely gloves and by hand, i only use the knife/trowel for mixing. buy a box of gloves, youll need more than you think.

but I always have a box of gloves or two, around the house.

OP
OP
vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info everyone. After doing a bit of research regarding the use of Hydraulic cement, I think I am going to go that route.

As I won't be ready for set up till late next month some time, I have time to build my rock scape and cure it.
As I won't be needing too much ( my rocks are pretty large, I plan on using PVC pipe ( with holes drilled in it to help minimize stagnant water ) to help hold the structure together and use the Hydraulic cement to fill in the gaps as well as add a bit of adhesion.

Does anyone have experience with the Quikrete brand Hyd Cement? Pro's and Con's, aside from the initial PH spike?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 48 33.1%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 68 46.9%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 30 20.7%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 35 24.1%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back