I'm thinking about using these for floor support

stupidfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1159.jpeg

My setup for a 200 gallon. It’s a bit over kill but I know it will never fail.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

If anyone is interested, the floor support project is a success! Thank you for all the helpful input.

1726698186719.png

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dburr1014
@vetteguy53081
@redfishbluefish
@Dbichler
@exnisstech
@phillyb614
@BeanAnimal

So everything has worked out well with the floor support project. But now, another question...

Initially, this room was carpeted. And during my early years of reef keeping, there were many mistakes leading to the carpet getting wet many times. So I cut away the carpet where the tanks new position would be. The wood looked fine.

Then I continued to remove the carpet in 12x4 sections and discovered the wood had mold further down the room. The water made a real mess of the wood, but nothing that can't be corrected with a good sanding and finish.

Obviously, the tank will not be moved and the floor people said they can work around the tank, but it will leave an unfinished patch the size of the tank's footprint.

So I'm seeking input on preparing this tank for the floor refinish.

I plan on wrapping the lower half of the tank with 3/4 ply. I will turn off the protein skimmer to avoid getting fumes in the water. Additionally, I will drop a large drop cloth over the top to keep dust out and protect the tank.

Any other suggestions?

Dom

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dburr1014
@vetteguy53081
@redfishbluefish
@Dbichler
@exnisstech
@phillyb614
@BeanAnimal

So everything has worked out well with the floor support project. But now, another question...

Initially, this room was carpeted. And during my early years of reef keeping, there were many mistakes leading to the carpet getting wet many times. So I cut away the carpet where the tanks new position would be. The wood looked fine.

Then I continued to remove the carpet in 12x4 sections and discovered the wood had mold further down the room. The water made a real mess of the wood, but nothing that can't be corrected with a good sanding and finish.

Obviously, the tank will not be moved and the floor people said they can work around the tank, but it will leave an unfinished patch the size of the tank's footprint.

So I'm seeking input on preparing this tank for the floor refinish.

I plan on wrapping the lower half of the tank with 3/4 ply. I will turn off the protein skimmer to avoid getting fumes in the water. Additionally, I will drop a large drop cloth over the top to keep dust out and protect the tank.

Any other suggestions?

Dom
You can pull air from outside the home of you have the capability.

Will this be one day or multiple?

I would assume multiple, I think a drop cloth or plastic sheet should do it. If plastic, I would look hard at getting a line outside to that skimmer.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I'd use an oil based varnish/polyurethane to finish the floor.....unless you can supply a positive air flow on a sealed up tank with outside air. Otherwise, your best bet is a water based varnish (polyurethane)....and I'm just assuming it's getting finished with a polyurethane. With a water based polyurethane I wouldn't be overly concerned about doing anything to prep the tank....maybe have a window or two open.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would assume multiple, I think a drop cloth or plastic sheet should do it. If plastic, I would look hard at getting a line outside to that skimmer.

An outside air line may be a good idea. I'll try. Better to turn it off if I can't get an outside line.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I'd use an oil based varnish/polyurethane to finish the floor.....unless you can supply a positive air flow on a sealed up tank with outside air. Otherwise, your best bet is a water based varnish (polyurethane)....and I'm just assuming it's getting finished with a polyurethane. With a water based polyurethane I wouldn't be overly concerned about doing anything to prep the tank....maybe have a window or two open.

Okay... so I will ask that they use a water based finish.

Positive pressure air flow is a good idea too. I don't know how I would begin to create a sealed structure around the tank to do that.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay... so I will ask that they use a water based finish.

Positive pressure air flow is a good idea too. I don't know how I would begin to create a sealed structure around the tank to do that.
A side note, water base cures faster, less fumes, harder, easier to work with and cleanup. All upsides.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A side note, water base cures faster, less fumes, harder, easier to work with and cleanup. All upsides.

I'm hiring someone, so no work involved.

I did try doing it myself with a belt sander loaded with 36 grit. Brilliant :rolleyes:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

I'm hiring someone, so no work involved.

I did try doing it myself with a belt sander loaded with 36 grit. Brilliant :rolleyes:
Looks sturdy. Use lacquer in lieu of oil base and should look nice also

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 44 36.1%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 54 44.3%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back