LFS vs BRS vs Amazon vs Marine Depot

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I'm not trying to start a flame war. Just kind of curious about who buys what from where.

This came up because I was buying a back up heater, so it's not a big purchase. I went to the LFS (great guy by the way, Orange Park Aquatics) and they wanted 79.99 for it. I didn't need it immediately and I was wondering what other outlets were getting for it. (Side note, I already bought my RS 525 and all the other equipment from him). BRS and Marine Depot were the same at 79,99 for the same unit. I went to Amazon and the same one was 54.99. Decent dollar difference by percentage.

The question is, where do you draw the line on supporting the LFS / specialty online stores and saving money? Personally, I prefer to support a local small business but at some point dollars come into play.

Thoughts?
I just spent a PILE of money at Bioreef on a new tank for my office. If I had shopped around I may have saved a few bucks but I cant tell you how many times I needed something RIGHT NOW and they had it in stock. I really prefer to spend my money with LFS (WWC). If we don't support them sooner or later Amazon is going to be the only option.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to buy as much from my LFS as I can, but sometimes the cost difference is too great. Especially on big ticket items. One thing not mentioned in the original post is tax savings. Here in Louisiana I have to pay 11% sales tax. So it would be $89 vs $55. So if I needed a $500 item, buying it online automatically saves me 11%/$55 in most cases...

What LFS is in your area? I had a friend that lived in Monroe and he said there were not any good stores in the area.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What LFS is in your area? I had a friend that lived in Monroe and he said there were not any good stores in the area.
Aquatic Solutions in West Monroe. I live less than 10 minuets away. Fish and dry goods are decent, but coral selection isn’t the best. Dave makes his money on service accounts and there’s just not the coral market here like there is in a bigger city.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is, where do you draw the line on supporting the LFS / specialty online stores and saving money?

I purchase gear and supplies from all the sources you mention.

If I need it NOW, I go to one of my favorite two LFSs. Hopefully one of them will have it in stock. In a true emergency (any leak), certain employees will even open the store for me after hours. :)

If I need it tomorrow or the next day, I might go Amazon if they have exactly what I need, since we've got Prime membership with free one or two day shipping. (Here in Seattle, it's one day for many things.) If they don't have the exact item or it's not available with Prime shipping (many specialty items aren't), then it's back to the LFS.

If I need it in the next week or so, it's Bulk Reef Supply, Marine Depot, or AquaCave. I always go for free shipping, and make maximum use of bonus points, coupons, etc.

If it's a BIG purchase, like a new system, I'll go back to an LFS. I get to give them some (hopefully) profitable business, I can arrange for delivery and installation more easily, and if anything is damaged or nonfunctional, returns/replacements are also much easier/faster.

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchase all my livestock and food from my LFS. Some things like equipment you just can't beat online shopping, got my AI Prime HD for $249 (CDN) (reefsupplies.ca) with free shipping and my LFS wanted $369.00. Can't justify the extra $100 on something like that. I refuse to order anything from Amazon, Canadian selection is poor at best through Amazon and there prices are always way more.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic Solutions in West Monroe. I live less than 10 minuets away. Fish and dry goods are decent, but coral selection isn’t the best. Dave makes his money on service accounts and there’s just not the coral market here like there is in a bigger city.

I moved from Shreveport to north Dallas back in 2000. It was LFS shock going from 1 LFS that had saltwater to a dozen. The first 4 or 5 years here I would go to 3 or 4 stores almost every weekend. Then kids got older and had to stop and go to sporting events instead.

If you make it to Shreveport, try and checkout Epic Aquaria, it is located downtown. They have a fairly good coral selection, lots of frags. When I go back to visit I try and stop in there.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Chemistry!

• Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

• Conservation!

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back