NYOS Salt

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been out of stock everywhere. It is the cleanest salt I have ever used, and crystal clear. The top of the bucket is identical with the bottom of the bucket, no more rolling buckets around. However it's been out of stock everywhere so I ordered a small bag of AF.

One thing I like about it is it can be stored.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love how clean it mixes but after 3 buckets I’m going back to Red Sea blue bucket.

Not sure what people see in warmer regions but having my mixing station in my basement has meant I need to heat the water to 70° F before adding salt to get it to mix fully which ultimately costs me more time that cleaning the bin every couple months.

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I love how clean it mixes but after 3 buckets I’m going back to Red Sea blue bucket.

Not sure what people see in warmer regions but having my mixing station in my basement has meant I need to heat the water to 70° F before adding salt to get it to mix fully which ultimately costs me more time that cleaning the bin every couple months.

I’ve been mixing my NYOS in room temp basement water. About 63-65°. Zero issues. Fast, clean, clear

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been mixing my NYOS in room temp basement water. About 63-65°. Zero issues. Fast, clean, clear
Super weird. I get undissolved particulates circulating and floating if I don’t warm it.

I reached out to Nyos after the first bucket and they said it should be ok but better to heat to 20°c.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing this salt used at Amazing Aquariums and Reefs, I’m definitely switching soon.

Them doing the ICP testing is gold and worth it for my style of reefing.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You will have to be very careful with Nyos Pure salt. It varies wildly by batch. I bought 4 bags back when BRS started carrying it. Alk said 7.7, 390 Calcium, etc. I used it for about 6 months and had some crazy swings in parameters with no explanation.

I'm actually using it now again as I had a bag left over and ran out of Red Sea CP. I think the salt is great for those looking for lower parameters. It was advertised to have 8.5 or around that, Alk. My 4 bags didn't.

Mixes super clean, yes. Good salt? Yes, absolutely if you keep lower parameters. I mix all of my salt at room temp stored water. My house stays 70 - 71 year round. I never have clouding or anything with Nyos, Red Sea, etc. I pour the cold water in 5 Gallon Buckets, fill about 60%, on each bucket. Mix salt, stir by hand good, then drop a powerhead and a heater in each bucket. It heats to 80 and mixes for about 2 hours, then I use it immediately. Never had any issues for over 30 years. Salinity is always perfect as I used a simple hard plastic, dollar store, 16 Oz cup to measure salt per bucket. I know where the salt needs to be per 5 gallons in the cup. Comes out perfect every time.

If your garage or home is 80 or 90 degrees, your salt is going to be cloudy. It's just chemistry.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to be very careful with Nyos Pure salt. It varies wildly by batch. I bought 4 bags back when BRS started carrying it. Alk said 7.7, 390 Calcium, etc. I used it for about 6 months and had some crazy swings in parameters with no explanation.

I'm actually using it now again as I had a bag left over and ran out of Red Sea CP. I think the salt is great for those looking for lower parameters. It was advertised to have 8.5 or around that, Alk. My 4 bags didn't.

Mixes super clean, yes. Good salt? Yes, absolutely if you keep lower parameters. I mix all of my salt at room temp stored water. My house stays 70 - 71 year round. I never have clouding or anything with Nyos, Red Sea, etc. I pour the cold water in 5 Gallon Buckets, fill about 60%, on each bucket. Mix salt, stir by hand good, then drop a powerhead and a heater in each bucket. It heats to 80 and mixes for about 2 hours, then I use it immediately. Never had any issues for over 30 years. Salinity is always perfect as I used a simple hard plastic, dollar store, 16 Oz cup to measure salt per bucket. I know where the salt needs to be per 5 gallons in the cup. Comes out perfect every time.

If your garage or home is 80 or 90 degrees, your salt is going to be cloudy. It's just chemistry.
That was not the salt my friend.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That was not the salt my friend.
Who said it was? I said it varies by batch and it's lower than what they advertise. So if you run a 4 bag batch at 7.4 Alk, then you order 4 more bags and it's 8.9 Alk then you need to adjust accordingly. I didn't say it was the salt.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who said it was? I said it varies by batch and it's lower than what they advertise. So if you run a 4 bag batch at 7.4 Alk, then you order 4 more bags and it's 8.9 Alk then you need to adjust accordingly. I didn't say it was the salt.
You did. I am sorry I misunderstood. You said each batch varied widely. I have not seen anything 8.9 yet. They all have seemed to hover around 8dKh within margin. I have only bought from 9 batches though starting in 2023. So small sample size. I measure the new mix at the start of a pail. Then some time in the middle, then the end. I started that after the fritz debacle. Nyos was insanely consistent.

So when you say be careful, are you sure it was the salt and not your testing, or were these the ICP tests results they were showing? Actually don't answer that. I don't care. Be careful with any salt really. Easy to test it once and a while. Yeah?

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Not even sure how many bags/boxes I went through and I independently ICP tested all of them even after my whole salt test was completed. I never once saw a variation like described above. Alkalinity and ATI ICP results were always close enough.

But trusting “scoops” and “cups” as measurements is like trusting a fart after Taco Bell. Weigh your salt and be done. Takes very little effort and you never have to guess.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You did. I am sorry I misunderstood. You said each batch varied widely. I have not seen anything 8.9 yet. They all have seemed to hover around 8dKh within margin. I have only bought from 9 batches though starting in 2023. So small sample size. I measure the new mix at the start of a pail. Then some time in the middle, then the end. I started that after the fritz debacle. Nyos was insanely consistent.

So when you say be careful, are you sure it was the salt and not your testing, or were these the ICP tests results they were showing? Actually don't answer that. I don't care. Be careful with any salt really. Easy to test it once and a while. Yeah?

I think you misunderstood me, yes. If salt varies by up to 2 Dkh and you have an Acropora system like in have, then yes, you want stability for sure. When I say it varies wildly by batch, I don't mean bag to bag, I mean some large matches are higher in Alk and some are lower. Most salts stay close to what they advertise in the ad.

I was saying that is you like to run your system at 9.5 Alk, then 7.7 Nyos is going to throw your parameters off. If you run lower parameters, great. I wouldn't switch from Red Sea CP to Nyos. That's a large deduction in stats. Now from Red Sea Blue Bucket to Nyos that's closer.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you misunderstood me, yes. If salt varies by up to 2 Dkh and you have an Acropora system like in have, then yes, you want stability for sure. When I say it varies wildly by batch, I don't mean bag to bag, I mean some large matches are higher in Alk and some are lower. Most salts stay close to what they advertise in the ad.

I was saying that is you like to run your system at 9.5 Alk, then 7.7 Nyos is going to throw your parameters off. If you run lower parameters, great. I wouldn't switch from Red Sea CP to Nyos. That's a large deduction in stats. Now from Red Sea Blue Bucket to Nyos that's closer.
That's really interesting. I haven't experienced that, and just the other day after a round of testing I was thinking to myself how much I love Nyos because every batch is dead on for me. I test out exactly what they claim it to be on the bucket. I remember it very clearly because I was so impressed by how consistent and accurate it is for me. I wonder why your experience has been so much different. I was testing ALK and CALC and they were dead on. I've personally never used a salt as clean or consistent as Nyos.

I used to use reef crystals among other salts, and when I started my nano I was going to try ESV, but it was out of stock everywhere and they totally ignored my email when I asked about availability so I tried Nyos, and it has been a dream for me.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 41 39.8%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 45 43.7%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 29 28.2%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back