Salt mixes/brands: What is everyone currently using?

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on RS Blue bucket but would like to turn to a cheaper salt if there is any that exists that would keep Alk between 8-8.5dKh. Any recommendations are welcome.

Before I started up again, 15-20 years ago I used instant ocean. I never tested back then, but I believe that salt mixes to like 10dKh?

hadams356

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm wondering the same thing. I was using it for a while and now I cant find it at any of my LFS. I went back to IO, but I really liked the fritz salt. It mixed quick and clean.
I get it at Saltwater Aquarium $85.00

hadams356

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m on RS Blue bucket but would like to turn to a cheaper salt if there is any that exists that would keep Alk between 8-8.5dKh. Any recommendations are welcome.

Before I started up again, 15-20 years ago I used instant ocean. I never tested back then, but I believe that salt mixes to like 10dKh?
Fritz Blue

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin pro- I dislike the container residue left by my first bucket of Reef Crystals. Think I may try to switch to Tropic Marin OG as I’d like to run a higher all in my tank than the Pro version lands at.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But keep in mind that if your tank is running at an Alk of 8.0 and you do a 10% water change with Salt that mixes to an Alk of 10, it's only going to make a change of 0.2 dkh to the tank.

Which is of course insignificant, probably unmeasurable with a hobby grade test kit and your tank swings by more than that over 24 hours anyway.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tropic Marin pro- I dislike the container residue left by my first bucket of Reef Crystals.
that brown crud is a big negative IMO but I still use it …
Instant Ocean in general doesn’t mix as clean as most others, another knock …
But until I see a real biological advantage I cant justify shelling out cheese at Tropic Marin prices … and certainly not for 400 gallon of Saltwater

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why this is still a question?
The Tropic Marine incident was 2022 .....
How many recalls did you have on your car and you still buy the same brand?
Reason: because the manufacturer fixed it.

I have always used it and will always use Tropic Marine. Best salt available ,IMHO.
I trust their quality control system, now even more.
https://www.tropic-marin.com/pro-reef-manufactured-in-turkey?lang=en

Hrosik123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the Red Sea coral pro. Was using instant ocean when I started but have noticed a big difference in coral growth.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have always used it and will always use Tropic Marine. Best salt available ,IMHO.
I respect your opinion but “best salt available” has to be based on something tangible; a verifiable comparison of some metric …
my point is aside from price and mixing, no biological data or real tangible biological benefit has ever been revealed beyond personal opinion

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve been using the Red Sea coral pro. Was using instant ocean when I started but have noticed a big difference in coral growth.
and by extension if you discontinued the current salt and went back to Instant Ocean your corals would then start growing slower?
Not being difficult but put that way, you might pardon my skepticism

Hrosik123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for the first 6 months of my journey into reek keeping I used the instant ocean with zero coral growth. 4 months into the switch my Duncan with 1 head now has 6. My zoas have all doubled. 3 head frog spawn has 6 along with a new head on my torch. Micromussa are bigger and healthier.
Could be due to my tank regulating naturally but this is what I’ve noticed.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use IO. I have tried others salts over 30 years but always go back.

I store mine in 100 a gallon container and just last year, I put a filter in the system to reduce/prevent brown crud in the tank.

My last bag tested low in Mg (1160 ppm with salifert) so I am currently a bit annoyed with that.

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last bag tested low in Mg (1160 ppm with salifert) so I am currently a bit annoyed with that.
It's for things like this that I decided to give NYOS a try. They provide ICP test results for each salt batch. They know what they are packaging and you can see it too. Granted, ICP testing can be flawed. :)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's for things like this that I decided to give NYOS a try. They provide ICP test results for each salt batch. They know what they are packaging and you can see it too. Granted, ICP testing can be flawed. :)

Pretty much all manufacturers have ICP available on their salts.

The ICP only indicates composition of the scoop they tested out of the batch.
It won't account for variations in mixing, settling during transit, etc.

It's more a marketing thing than of real use in the real world.

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect your opinion but “best salt available” has to be based on something tangible; a verifiable comparison of some metric …
my point is aside from price and mixing, no biological data or real tangible biological benefit has ever been revealed beyond personal opinion
Interesting that you jump on my opinion and not the facts that marine had a quality problem in one of their plants more than 2 years ago and people still lament about it. That was my point.

I’m not a scientist, have no proof about what’s better or what worse
That was not my point. It’s imho.

There were some comparisons of salts done by BRS. Mainly useability and no biological analysis. Some superficial contents compares but certainly no studies reaching the level of biology you’re talking about.
I fully agree with you there

I’m excited about this product that after 5 years of use and storing pre mixed waters sometimes for several weeks I never had a residue in any of my mixing tanks. It disolves quickly and is useable after a few hours.

I know that this doesn’t qualify to determine if coral grow better or if all trace elements of one’s wishlist are in it, but it does make my life easier.

Again I was focused on the longevity of a brands mishap in this forum.

Tropic Marine did run a replacement program and was very transparent about what happened.

No forgiveness and fact checking with hard core reefers?

I do value your opinion.

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much all manufacturers have ICP available on their salts.

The ICP only indicates composition of the scoop they tested out of the batch.
It won't account for variations in mixing, settling during transit, etc.

It's more a marketing thing than of real use in the real world.
Thanks for the heads up on that. I only seen it mentioned with NYOS. I may switch again at some point. For a while it was out of stock everywhere I looked.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But keep in mind that if your tank is running at an Alk of 8.0 and you do a 10% water change with Salt that mixes to an Alk of 10, it's only going to make a change of 0.2 dkh to the tank.

Which is of course insignificant, probably unmeasurable with a hobby grade test kit and your tank swings by more than that over 24 hours anyway.
My in tank alk runs between 7.7 and 8.3 and 7.5/8.5 is where I start taking action, so I’m just looking at 8-8.5 to keep things stable. I also do 20% water changes every 1-2 months (I look at ORP to dictate my WC and dose trace to compensate for reduced WCs), so 0.4-0.6dKh swing is not something I’m comfortable with - might not effect anything but I also don’t want to push that envelope

Especially if I need an emergency large water change.

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back