View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's your tank

It's your fish

People kill fish all the time, and eat them

Ol timers would say, "A fish grows to the size of the tank". Which is true

New timers will say, "A small tank will stunt the fish's growth, and hurts the fishes feelings. And that is mean, and you are a meanie if you do that". Which isn't true
The fish can grow to the size of the tank however the stunted part is partially true as well - A fish may stop growing but their spines are often bent and can become misshapen overall.
A stunted fish will grow to the potential it can get it just takes a much slower period of time.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's your tank

It's your fish

New timers will say, "A small tank will stunt the fish's growth, and hurts the fishes feelings. And that is mean, and you are a meanie if you do that". Which isn't true
Probably the worst take I've seen on this forum.

@bsap,

I believe in giving the best for your pets, if you truly believe that a 50g tank is the best for a tang do it. I wouldn't.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wouldn't a Tang in a tank too small just create Ich outbreak?
I'd like to start by saying "Ich" (Cryptocaryon irritans) doesn't just appear out of thin air, but it may seem like that, A tang in a tank that small can become easily stressed which will affact it's immune system so if ich is present in the system could cause the ich to be prevalent.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If this is the 50.3 AIO the depth is only about 15", 36" long and 17" high. That seems too small unless you get a Biota Yellow and have a 1 year plan firmly in place.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs that could fit in a 50g are too common and boring to be a centerpeice anything :p

Why the heck would you choose that?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are MY issues with the process; fish goes through quarantine, moves into its home. Becomes familiar with its tanks mates, acclimated to its feeding schedule and lighting. It grows a couple inches, gets chased and pulled out of its familiar environment, gets plopped in a tank at and LFS maybe spends enough time to acclimate maybe doesn’t before someone else says oh look it’s only 4 inches it can live in my 80 for a little while, takes it home, puts it through quarantine acclimates to a new life and new schedule, grows, gets chased, goes to the LFS for however long before someone with a large enough tank buys it.
Recycling animals isn’t a trend I want to see started.
Secondly, my 24 is large enough to keep a 1and 1/2 inch tang in for an amount of time! I mean where’s the cut off? I mean why can’t we nanoers just start our tanks with baby giant fish and get rid of them when they grow. (Sarcasm). There are ppl who would take it to the Nth degree so I just hate to see the practice encouraged.
Well said. I agree 100%.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's your tank

It's your fish

What on earth? Im going to call in the experts @vetteguy53081and @Jay Hemdal on this one for their opinion.. for real though, what the heck? This is not true at all. A simple google search brings up a ton of information on this. Look at the overview…

Attachments

• IMG_5927.png
    IMG_5927.png
    238.9 KB · Views: 10

Solo McReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What on earth? Im going to call in the experts @vetteguy53081and @Jay Hemdal on this one for their opinion.. for real though, what the heck? This is not true at all. A simple google search brings up a ton of information on this. Look at the overview…
I literally wrote what you posted

And literally means actually in this case

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally wrote what you posted

And literally means actually in this case
No what you said was this:

“Ol timers would say, "A fish grows to the size of the tank". Which is true

Thats the exact opposite of what I posted.

Solo McReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No what you said was this:

“Ol timers would say, "A fish grows to the size of the tank". Which is true

Thats the exact opposite of what I posted.
Tangs can get to 12, 14 inches in a 25,000 gallon tank

If someone has a 1,000 gallon tank. And the tang gets to 6 inches

Is that pet owner being a meanie? It is stunted, in this case, correct?

PS, what was the name of the yellow tang in Finding Nemo?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good strawman argument but let's for the sake of argument we go with that... There is a lot of factors could go into this but generally yes, if you have a 1000 gallon aquarium and have a tang that normally grows to the averge size of lets say 12 inches and it is stunted at 6 inches then that could show poor signs of husbandry on the aquarists end. whether that being dietary, water chemistry or chronic stress that caused the fish to be stunted, I believe we have a good enough understanding of fish ecology to know that certain fish are more suited in larger aquariums.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Many apartment dwellers keep full size dogs for life. It’s similar to us keeping fish in glass boxes. It’s about selecting the right breed with an activity level suited for the surroundings.
I’d disagree with the dog comparison because you can and do let dogs out for walks and to run in grass. Unlike the fish we keep which live in a box permanently.

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d disagree with the dog comparison because can and do let out for walks and to run in grass. Unlike the fish we keep which live in a box permanently.

True but I wouldn't keep a great Dane in an apartment anymore than I would keep a tang in a tank too small for it to be comfortable.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
True but I wouldn't keep a great Dane in an apartment anymore than I would keep a tang in a tank too small for it to be comfortable.
Depends on the apartment size but NYC apartments are teeny tiny! My room is bigger than some. But I get what you are saying. If a human can’t be comfortable in a tiny apartment like that a large dog can’t either.

Last edited:

Solo McReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like you’re trolling, honestly.
I just got a yellow tang

And a blue tang

Today

Still boxed, in the kitchen

They are going in the Red Sea 170 today

The trolls are those people who think they can tell me what fish I get. Or what I do with them

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and no one clicked on the heart in that picture? :face-with-rolling-eyes:
It's from a Kijiji ad - I saw years ago. Had to save it, legit....couldn't believe it. Wouldn't have believed it - had I not see it.

Personally....I applaud those who ask these types of questions. These fish can live for decades - why not give it the best life you can?
The alternative...is people don't ask and stick fish in a 7g fluval.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What are you even talking about? There is a huge difference in a tank thats too small for a tang (50 gallon) and a 25,000 gallon tank. Anyone can see that. Youre making no sense at this point.

And with that Im out since this is going nowhere and makes no sense whatsoever.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 72 26.9%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 117 43.7%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 65 24.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 14 5.2%
Back