Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not u wayne, I mean @AlyciaMarie I sent U a pm, plz check ASAP
Oh my gosh I still done see anything! I swear everything is so hard!!!! Haha
You think you have a stable grip on things and then something comes along and reminds you that nope, you don’t. I am so sorry

Gizmoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that is one sad story. Seems like life is really giving you and your family a really a hard time.

I am new on the forum but stories like this make me feel really sad. We all face rough times sometimes and need our distractions to find some happiness in times of misery.

A generous offer from @VintageReefer !
I’m on another continent but feel like I also would like to contribute.

How about we set up a small gofundme with the forum? If not, I’m happy to make a financial contribution to get you going again. You need some light in times of darkness. I understand you need your money for obvious reasons but a forum is a community and for me, the definition of a community is helping eachother in time of need. Use your own money wisely for your family, let the community help you get your tank back up and running!

Be it financial or by donating livestock, this shouldn’t be too hard of a task! Many small contributions make one BIG difference.

OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that is one sad story. Seems like life is really giving you and your family a really a hard time.

I am new on the forum but stories like this make me feel really sad. We all face rough times sometimes and need our distractions to find some happiness in times of misery.

A generous offer from @VintageReefer !
I’m on another continent but feel like I also would like to contribute.

How about we set up a small gofundme with the forum? If not, I’m happy to make a financial contribution to get you going again. You need some light in times of darkness. I understand you need your money for obvious reasons but a forum is a community and for me, the definition of a community is helping eachother in time of need. Use your own money wisely for your family, let the community help you get your tank back up and running!

Be it financial or by donating livestock, this shouldn’t be too hard of a task! Many small contributions make one BIG difference.
That’s awesome and I really appreciate it I don’t know if I can take that from yall! I am still hurting so bad. Blown away though!

Gizmoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be the skeptic here and no disrespect meant. If there’s a way of verifying this is the case (unfortunately the internet is a nasty place) I’m happy to help you get your tank back in order as well with some fish or coral.
I think that is a fair point! I am sure @Waynerock can provide us with the necessary information if he cares to continue the hobby!

OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be the skeptic here and no disrespect meant. If there’s a way of verifying this is the case (unfortunately the internet is a nasty place) I’m happy to help you get your tank back in order as well with some fish or coral.
Well I see your point but I am a “treat others with respect until they give you reason to not kind of guy”. My history should show the love I had in my tank and how much time I spent with it. If any sick person wanted to fake what we are going through here in WNC for free stuff I will be the first one knocking on their door! I don’t want anything from anyone nor was I asking. Honestly I was just saying good bye to a place that gave me so much help and compassion and beauty over the years. I would have no way to prove otherwise so you got to use faith and your best judgement. My address is 50 Cottage Ridge Road in Fletcher NC 29732, you can look up the carnage and see what’s going on. We are a strong group here. I have seen so much help and love from the community here it has completely restored my faith in human beings. At least around my area. I have not see 1 FEMA truck or worker anywhere here. I know they are here but none of us can find them. We need them but we don’t. They need to be helping the ones who lost absolutely everything. I could not imagine. I could not accept anything from anyone here. You guys are too sweet and it chokes me up more than you know to see others want to help me. I honestly love y’all and wish the best of luck to everyone on here. I have my hands so full with my 10 year old son and my wife’s GD cancer is getting worse and the tumor is pushing on her spinal cord where she can’t walk. It’s just a matter of time and all I can do I make her comfortable and know she is loved. I don’t think I have the strength to start over. I had many corals over 15 years old that I grew out from a single polyp. It’s hard to just refill and go again. Here are some photos of my neighborhood. We got very lucky. Biltmore village and other places not so much. I literally volunteered on Sunday to walk the riverside on the Swannanoa river to look for bodies. I can’t do that again. We found 2 buried and could only tell someone was there from the smell. It will break you and it puts my tank problem to the back of the line! I have no idea what is being shown around the country because I don’t have TV right now.

Attachments

• IMG_4200.jpeg
    IMG_4200.jpeg
    434.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4194.jpeg
    IMG_4194.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4250.png
    IMG_4250.png
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4249.png
    IMG_4249.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2618.jpeg
    IMG_2618.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2619.jpeg
    IMG_2619.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2620.jpeg
    IMG_2620.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 23

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok maybe not “my life” but my tank was my life and my way of dealing with my wife’s cancer and all the BS that comes with it. RIP reef tank! You gave me 15 years of relief of stress and made so many people happy over the years and even hooked a few people alone the way.
After loosing power and water for 11 days I could not fight the battle anymore. My beautiful tank turned into 70 gallons of acid water after all the deaths. I had things I could never replace. Even had a coral from Jake Adams that was my pride and joy, boy I miss him!! I have never had to shut a tank down because of a crash. I can hardly look at these pictures anymore. So goodbye R2R you were great! I don’t think I have the heart to do this again and I definitely don’t have the money too. So dang sad yall. I have no more tears or words!
I wish your wife the best, and may your tank rest in peace. Hats off to you.:crying-face:

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sucks to see, im a couple hours away from getting hit with hurricane Milton praying for the best. Just got over Dino’s too

OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sucks to see, im a couple hours away from getting hit with hurricane Milton praying for the best. Just got over Dino’s too
Good luck that guy is blowing something fierce. I could not imagine the winds. We got up to 104mph and I was seeing gusts of 80-90 and dang. I did not sleep because we kept having little tornadoes and the trees around my house are big. Hope you guys are all ok

OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is a fair point! I am sure @Waynerock can provide us with the necessary information if he cares to continue the hobby!
I would love to fire up the red box again because my wife is pushing me too. She loved the way it made the house look. Unfortunately she does not understand the sheer amount of stuff I have to do just for her so it’s gonna be hard. Maybe after Christmas. I just had so much amazing stuff. I had a bleeding apple Scoly I got from ASD back in 2017 that was the size of a saucer! It was so big! It killed me watching it just melt away. Watching the snails and hermits crawl out of the top of the water because it was so poisonous after 5 days was so dang sad. I waited and prayed that to power would come back and I could save some but it only came back on late this morning and it’s been 11 days. No matter what I feel responsible and I feel that I failed my tank and I failed to protect it. Although after 11 days if you can’t get fuel anywhere and you don’t have a 20-$30,000 Generac generator you’re pretty screwed.

OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is that Scoly and my pride and joy THE red dragon out of Jake Adams tank I got right before he died. It was only a branch and it grew amazing and the color was something else

Attachments

• IMG_3627.jpeg
    IMG_3627.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2790.jpeg
    IMG_2790.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 17

Gizmoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to fire up the red box again because my wife is pushing me too. She loved the way it made the house look. Unfortunately she does not understand the sheer amount of stuff I have to do just for her so it’s gonna be hard. Maybe after Christmas. I just had so much amazing stuff. I had a bleeding apple Scoly I got from ASD back in 2017 that was the size of a saucer! It was so big! It killed me watching it just melt away. Watching the snails and hermits crawl out of the top of the water because it was so poisonous after 5 days was so dang sad. I waited and prayed that to power would come back and I could save some but it only came back on late this morning and it’s been 11 days. No matter what I feel responsible and I feel that I failed my tank and I failed to protect it. Although after 11 days if you can’t get fuel anywhere and you don’t have a 20-$30,000 Generac generator you’re pretty screwed.
There are some options I think if researched properly. There are mobile AC batteries that can be charged with solar panels for example. You wouldn't be able to power the tank day/night but you would be able to manage some parameters better. Also if you live in a pretty open space, a wind turbine can generate a bit of energy (200-400 Watt is doable with windmills that don't cost a fortune, couple of hundred bucks) You only need enough power to keep it on life support right? No real experience with these types of outages. We sometimes get a small power failure but it's maximum for an hour or so and I can cover that of with a computer UPS I have hooked to the tank.

Why not get a small generator and just store some fuel? Seems like a solid plan! I googled real quick and a small 5500Watt capable AC generator sets you back 300 dollars. Doesn't seem like that big of an expense? A quick conversion to gallons told me that it consumes about 1 gallon of fuel/hour. One oil barrel of fuel would last you over a week then!

Get one if you decide to restart your tank. Everyone needs to hit the wall face first at some point to learn a thing or two.

The damages look horrible. Can't even imagine what you and your family are going through. Stay safe and take care of eachother!!

smitten with ocean life

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
friend,
There are some options I think if researched properly. There are mobile AC batteries that can be charged with solar panels for example. You wouldn't be able to power the tank day/night but you would be able to manage some parameters better. Also if you live in a pretty open space, a wind turbine can generate a bit of energy (200-400 Watt is doable with windmills that don't cost a fortune, couple of hundred bucks) You only need enough power to keep it on life support right? No real experience with these types of outages. We sometimes get a small power failure but it's maximum for an hour or so and I can cover that of with a computer UPS I have hooked to the tank.

Why not get a small generator and just store some fuel? Seems like a solid plan! I googled real quick and a small 5500Watt capable AC generator sets you back 300 dollars. Doesn't seem like that big of an expense? A quick conversion to gallons told me that it consumes about 1 gallon of fuel/hour. One oil barrel of fuel would last you over a week then!
hes lost everything. i dont think they can even get fuel right now.

Gizmoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
friend,

hes lost everything. i dont think they can even get fuel right now.
Yes I know. This is not meant as criticism. Excuse me if I came on the wrong way but English isn't my native language so I apologise!

I was just trying to help for future reef endeavours. I'm sure he will get back in the reef saddle at some point!
Life just sometimes knocks you down but that's why you need people supporting you to get back on your feet.

BrianneG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ah man.. The tank was beautiful. I am sorry you suffered that loss, I am sure you are hurting and ticked. Prayers to you and your wife as well.

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck that guy is blowing something fierce. I could not imagine the winds. We got up to 104mph and I was seeing gusts of 80-90 and dang. I did not sleep because we kept having little tornadoes and the trees around my house are big. Hope you guys are all ok
I think our winds will be something similar to what you had. Fingers crossed

IS YOUR URCHIN THE TANK MAINTENANCE MAN OR THE TANK MENACE? SHOW OFF YOUR URCHINS IN THE COMMENTS!

• Maintenance Man!

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Menace!

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • A little bit of both...

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Other (Please explain).

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back