The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I love about the sand sleepers is it seems all those genera are amazing for control of pests;
Pseudojuloides knock down bristle/fireworms
Anampses seem to destroy flatworms
Halichoeres… well, we all love them for their pest hunting skills!
Macropharyngodon (And Xenojulis) seem to be similar to Anampses and just knock out Flatworms/‘Bugs’
Coris and Novaculichthys will slaughter just about any invert

I mean my Jade has been out of the tank for a good 2-3 weeks now and I’ve yet to have pests resurface with my Pencils, Twistii and Leopards.
The twistii and kaleidos are without a doubt the best though as they love to hug the rockwork more than the others with the Twistii almost never leaving unless I add my algae covered fragrack from my nano.
You forgot how Thalassoma kill potentially troublesome pests like urchins, starfish, snails, and other fish ;) .

Last edited:

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You forgot how Thalassoma kill potentially troublesome pests like urchins, starfish, snails, and other fish ;) .
My hardwicke had been a good fish, the sohal tang and clown tang both keep him in check.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I miss my Hardwicke!
Mine had some parasite issues and never fully fit into my tank system, but he surely was an interesting fish and lead me to my love of thalassoma!
If I ever get a large enough tank in the future, I'd absolutely love to give one another try!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just before bedtime

IMG_9015.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap. Thank you. He was only $30 so apparently I scored big
It’s a transitioning male too - they just get prettier.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I gave my Cleaner Wrasse one last chance with the Kaleidos and added him back into the tank yesterday. He went straight into the rockwork (as you may expect) and I thought we’d be in the green.
However, today my Kaleidos was for some reason not out nearly as much and then I saw it happen. The Cleaner went straight for him and I was not messing around this time - The cleaner is back in the sump and leaving on Wednesday.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tamarin is still just eating pods out of my chaeto. Any suggestions on getting it to eat frozen? Or any food suggestions
Can you try place frozen into the chaeto?

Have you also tried masstick?

I’ve not seen my Twistii eating out of the water column but she’s growing and getting fatter so she’s feeding on something I just don’t know what.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, this girl definitely feeds on way more than just pods but her colours are immaculate! She loves hanging out with Sydney as he sifts through the sand.
IMG_1451.jpeg

IMG_1450.jpeg

IMG_1449.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foods getting stuck in the chaeto. I have brine eggs arriving tomorrow so hopefully it will eat those too. Might complete QT on Thursday and hopefully it can learn from the other tamarin in the DT.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foods getting stuck in the chaeto. I have brine eggs arriving tomorrow so hopefully it will eat those too. Might complete QT on Thursday and hopefully it can learn from the other tamarin in the DT.
Honestly that’s the best way - They feed best when in established reefs.

We have CBBs who pick at foods yet don’t go for frozen and when they’re in our frag tanks or customers tanks they go straight for food.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tamarin is still just eating pods out of my chaeto. Any suggestions on getting it to eat frozen? Or any food suggestions
Maybe fresh hatched baby brine shrimp to entice the tamarin to eat from the water column? You could then start simultaneously adding ROE and/or frozen mix. I find most fish can't pass up an egg floating by.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe fresh hatched baby brine shrimp to entice the tamarin to eat from the water column? You could then start simultaneously adding ROE and/or frozen mix. I find most fish can't pass up an egg floating by.
Yeah. I’m getting some brine eggs to hatch tomorrow from algae barn. As well as pods and some other stuff that I’m not totally sure what they are :face-with-tears-of-joy:

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a question for everyone… Pick ONE! You can only have 1 but what one?
Not restricted to these 3 but here’s just a few examples from the genus.
05ED7839-B941-4D80-9CCA-45231F140250.jpeg

50F041DC-F96E-43EA-8799-6CD7E78F784E.jpeg

4AB7FC3A-7DF8-4C47-97DE-3C49C97A200F.jpeg
Did the severnsi come out?

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 57 25.7%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 97 43.7%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 55 24.8%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 13 5.9%
Back