Tomini tang disease or abrasion?

Tigershark22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,
I recently noticed that my young Tomini Tang has some discoloration. I noticed a vertical line on his right side the other day. But today I noticed larger splotches of discoloration on the other side after being gone for a day or so.

I’m still new so I’m not an expert on the typical behaviors of individual species but it doesn’t seem like there are any signs of stress from him or others in the tank (2 ocellaris clownfish, and a bicolor blenny). Though the Blenny exhibited signs of discoloration as well shortly after being introduced to the tank that eventually went away.

Just wanted any advice if it is potentially something serious but he seems to really like small spaces between rocks so I’m not sure if it can be determined if they are just abrasions.

Only useful photos I have thus far, he likes shadows.

IMG_1201.png IMG_1204.png IMG_1205.png IMG_1198.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Howdy,
I recently noticed that my young Tomini Tang has some discoloration. I noticed a vertical line on his right side the other day. But today I noticed larger splotches of discoloration on the other side after being gone for a day or so.

I’m still new so I’m not an expert on the typical behaviors of individual species but it doesn’t seem like there are any signs of stress from him or others in the tank (2 ocellaris clownfish, and a bicolor blenny). Though the Blenny exhibited signs of discoloration as well shortly after being introduced to the tank that eventually went away.

Just wanted any advice if it is potentially something serious but he seems to really like small spaces between rocks so I’m not sure if it can be determined if they are just abrasions.

Only useful photos I have thus far, he likes shadows.

IMG_1201.png IMG_1204.png IMG_1205.png IMG_1198.png
Can be two things:
Either bite marks from another tank occupant or seeing this is on both sides, possible scrapes from going between rocks.
Any itchibg or scratching behavior?
What other fish are in with it?

OP
OP
Tigershark22

Tigershark22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can be two things:
Either bite marks from another tank occupant or seeing this is on both sides, possible scrapes from going between rocks.

Ah I kinda feel like a doofus now for not considering the possibility of a mantis shrimp attack. There’s a couple of small rock mantis in there and the tang’s favorite areas are also some of the bigger mantis’ favorite areas.
Though I’m still new enough to not know what that might even look like.
Don’t worry, I do not believe they will ever get large enough to do serious damage to fish. If so, I would certainly make an effort to remove them.

Other than that just typical CUC and the 2 clownfish & one blenny. All have seemed to get along well but idk if there’s been any disputes there.

All eating normally and no itching or scratching behavior.

Good to know it’s likely nothing major

OP
OP
Tigershark22

Tigershark22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can be two things:

Also you were correct on my previous post about the aforementioned Blenny not being of any concern either. So thank you for your input again!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Ah I kinda feel like a doofus now for not considering the possibility of a mantis shrimp attack. There’s a couple of small rock mantis in there and the tang’s favorite areas are also some of the bigger mantis’ favorite areas.
Though I’m still new enough to not know what that might even look like.
Don’t worry, I do not believe they will ever get large enough to do serious damage to fish. If so, I would certainly make an effort to remove them.

Other than that just typical CUC and the 2 clownfish & one blenny. All have seemed to get along well but idk if there’s been any disputes there.

All eating normally and no itching or scratching behavior.

Good to know it’s likely nothing major
Mantis is not community and one good punch can do severe damage including leading to death

OP
OP
Tigershark22

Tigershark22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mantis is not community and one good punch can do severe damage including leading to death

The ones in there are N. Wennerae by all accounts. I do not suspect they will ever be big enough to do permanent damage or fatal damage to fish unless they are hungry enough. They don’t mess with CUC much anymore since I started feeding heavier on mysis shrimp.

I hope I’m not wrong with that assessment. I like the mantis but I like fish more so I’ll certainly keep an eye on things

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The ones in there are N. Wennerae by all accounts. I do not suspect they will ever be big enough to do permanent damage or fatal damage to fish unless they are hungry enough. They don’t mess with CUC much anymore since I started feeding heavier on mysis shrimp.

I hope I’m not wrong with that assessment. I like the mantis but I like fish more so I’ll certainly keep an eye on things
Yes - keep an eye on it - however, the fact that you're needing to feed more, etc - means your nutrient export issues will increase over time. Take it from someone who learned the hard way - separate them if you can:). The problem is that even if they are making a small wound - lets say on a larger fish that can become infected etc etc.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

High risk. I had a few Mantis and they hunt at night and again have a powerful punch

OP
OP
Tigershark22

Tigershark22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @vetteguy53081 you need to get rid of the mantis - they should be in a tank of their own.

Yes - keep an eye on it - however, the fact that you're needing to feed more, etc - means your nutrient export issues will increase over time. Take it from someone who learned the hard way - separate them if you can:)

The extra feeding was in hopes of solving another “issue” of guess I’d say simultaneously. My nitrates annd phosphates are staying at zero. I think what I have is quite a bit of bryopsis that is consuming such. But I think I have only fueled it as I haven’t done much manual removal of it. Definitely still learning over here.

I have a very intricate aquascape. It’s hard to get pics of the mantis, no way I could simply catch them. Do they make traps?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Understood certainly. Do they make traps? I definitely didn’t want 3 of them even if I wanted one as a tank mate in mixed reef.
A fish trap works but if its small enough, you can your own with a bottle ( gatorade and powerade bottle have a larger opening) as below

trap.jpg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 35 39.8%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 37 42.0%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 5.7%
Back