OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool looking clam, I can't wait to see more of it!

Where exactly is Coral Props located?

Coral Props is in Green Bluff, just a few minutes north of Spokane. I assume you're in the Seattle area?

Here's some comparitive photos.

Here's the first photo I took of it, during our field trip, Feb. 20, 2011, while it was still in QT.

5465684834_c6d2fde0c3_b.jpg

Here's a photo, from yesterday, at the greenhouse, in his system, receiving more sunlight than in QT.

5587400740_f2963a6f3e_b.jpg

Here it is, in my tank. Just got home, and took this photo, a few minutes ago. Unfortunately, shooting it through the glass, doesn't really show the different shades of beautiful green.

5590810974_e8d0686109_b.jpg

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naw I am on the complete other side of the state in Port Angles.

I responded to one of your posts the other day in the LFS thread. I don't think you saw it though.

Summer before last I was in Aquatic Dreams talking clams and taking pic's of the big guy. Kevin was also showing me his broken MH bulb. I am not sure but I think you were in there too, or at least from what I remember one of the guys looked a lot like you judging by your Facebook pic's. I know it is a long shot but does it sound familiar?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking man. I can't wait to get some water in mine, and see how much the fish love these dimensions :)

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naw I am on the complete other side of the state in Port Angles.

I responded to one of your posts the other day in the LFS thread. I don't think you saw it though.

Summer before last I was in Aquatic Dreams talking clams and taking pic's of the big guy. Kevin was also showing me his broken MH bulb. I am not sure but I think you were in there too, or at least from what I remember one of the guys looked a lot like you judging by your Facebook pic's. I know it is a long shot but does it sound familiar?

I'm surprised we've never met, since we're over the mountains, all the time, for reef related stuff. I responded, on the LFS thread.

love your clams, pearl coral was nice as well!!!

Thank you very much! Yes, the Bubble Coral was a though one to get rid of. Luckily, it's still local, so we'll get to visit it...lol.

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking man. I can't wait to get some water in mine, and see how much the fish love these dimensions :)

Your fish will absolutely love the dimensions!! As will you, when you see them swimming around in it!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised we've never met, since we're over the mountains, all the time, for reef related stuff. I responded, on the LFS thread.

I don't make it to any of the functions, I am too far away. I'm not even a member of the PSAS as I wouldn't make it to any meetings. LOL heck I have only been to Barrier Reef Aquariums once and that is it for me for shops in Seattle. I do plan on going to SEA MAX though!

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Easter everyone!!

While doing a large water change, this morning, I decided to play around with the camera. I shot some reflections, some "top downs" without needing a look down box and even some corals, out of water.

5651026656_d4e80c07c7_b.jpg

5651024862_e08ecb0f9a_b.jpg

A little difficult to tell, but this one is completely out of the water.

5651022876_231dbac788_b.jpg

5651017936_d0bc351613_b.jpg

5651013582_b3cbcc7e1b_b.jpg

To Be Continued...

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow nice new pictures - love the reflection shots and corals half out of the water!! Your nem looks great btw!

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those shots are really cool. As first I thought you were going to say the corals were growing out of the water. Do you ever see any negative affects of have the water that low with the corals sticking out and the lights on? I have notied that some of my montis when out of water with the lights on start to bleach a little.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those shots are really cool. As first I thought you were going to say the corals were growing out of the water. Do you ever see any negative affects of have the water that low with the corals sticking out and the lights on? I have notied that some of my montis when out of water with the lights on start to bleach a little.

There shouldnt be any negative effects unless you leave them exposed for a length of time. Acropora produce a protective layer of slime when exposed.

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! No, no negative effects at all, though they aren't exposed for more than about 30 minutes and they're under T5HO, not producing a whole lot of heat. If they were under 250 or 400MH and exposed for any length of time, I'd turn the lights off.

Keep in mind, in nature, corals are exposed for hours, during low tide, and exposed to direct sunlight, which is WAY more intense than any lighting we could possibly have.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow nice tank... and that tomini tang's color is awesome.. do you have problems with the tank being 27" high?

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow nice tank... and that tomini tang's color is awesome.. do you have problems with the tank being 27" high?

Thank you!

The only problems I experience, with the 27" height, is reaching the bottom...lol. Even on a step stool, I can only reach the bottom of the tank, for about the front 4". I have 2 sets of long grabbers, which helps. Aquascaping was interesting, as I was trying to set rocks, towards the back of the tank!

Lighting also isn't an issue, with the height of the tank. I'm running 10X54 T5HO and am able to grow SPS, on the bottom of the tank.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

The only problems I experience, with the 27" height, is reaching the bottom...lol. Even on a step stool, I can only reach the bottom of the tank, for about the front 4". I have 2 sets of long grabbers, which helps. Aquascaping was interesting, as I was trying to set rocks, towards the back of the tank!

Lighting also isn't an issue, with the height of the tank. I'm running 10X54 T5HO and am able to grow SPS, on the bottom of the tank.

When your tank is 24" or deeper like mine then tongs and grabbers become your best friends.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Yeah this is the reason i am not looking into too talk of a tank for my next tank - even with tongs - it's a pain not to be able to reach the bottom

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this is the reason i am not looking into too talk of a tank for my next tank - even with tongs - it's a pain not to be able to reach the bottom

not so bad, you get used to it. If anything it keeps you from messing around with the inside of your tank too much.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back