Another DIY overflow advice

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to Aqueon a couple years ago, asking if my tank was tempered. I asked if they used tempered on the bottom only, or where. They said they use whatever glass they have there at the time to fill the orders they have. So be careful assuming your tank isn't tempered.

from aqueon site:

Ulgk81i.png

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from aqueon site:

Ulgk81i.png
Yeah, I asked about that and they pretty much said you can't count on that either, even though it was on their website. It may have a tempered bottom, and the website says it does...but the sides may or may not be. They made no promises about the sides at all.

Last edited:

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I asked about that and they pretty much said you can't count on that either, even though it was on their website. It may have a tempered bottom, and the website says it does...but the sides may or may not be. They made no promises about the sides at all.

This is pretty much what I remember.

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to Aqueon a couple years ago, asking if my tank was tempered. I asked if they used tempered on the bottom only, or where. They said they use whatever glass they have there at the time to fill the orders they have. So be careful assuming your tank isn't tempered.
I contacted aqueon, they said all are tempered on the bottom, some are temepered on all sides some are not depending on availability of glass when the tank was manufactured. They said if it was manufactured in the past 2 years it probably is tempered on all sides.

I bought a 75 gallon tank anyway. Ive got to get my hands on polarized glasses to test it.

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of off topic but should I go with a 20L or 20H sump tank? either way its going to be a tough fit for my heater and UV sterilizer (both are 14").

even more off topic, should I place the sump ontop of a piece of plywood on the floor, or build a shelf for it on the stand. Floor give me more room to work,

Last edited:

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of off topic but should I go with a 20L or 20H sump tank? either way its going to be a tough fit for my heater and UV sterilizer (both are 14").

even more off topic, should I place the sump ontop of a piece of plywood on the floor, or build a shelf for it on the stand. Floor give me more room to work,

40 breeder would be best. Otherwise a 20L but your skimmer will take up a lot of it. FYI you don’t need a UV sterilizer.

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 breeder would be best. Otherwise a 20L but your skimmer will take up a lot of it. FYI you don’t need a UV sterilizer.

no skimmer, this is for a freshwater tank, Im posting here because you reef folks know much more about sumps than FW forums. My 40B is as wide as the 75, wouldnt fit in the stand. The 29 is too tall, only gives me 4.5" to work with. 20H gives me 11" because I can fit it on the floow between the slats

Also, I understand most people are anti-sterilizer and I probably wouldnt buy one again but since I have it, a 24watt sterilizer does help kill free swimming parasites and bacteria, adds extra insurance for my tank health. I always run it for 2 weeks after adding a new fish.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no skimmer, this is for a freshwater tank, Im posting here because you reef folks know much more about sumps than FW forums.
That's kind of why I got into saltwater. That and not having to deal with CO2 anymore. It's not necessary to have CO2 in a saltwater tank even if there are complexity-equivalents, corals grow without them.

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going back to the bulkhead idea, Ive seen in some other sires people having luck with aqueon 75g tank recently so I ordered some cheap polarized sunglasses from walmart. If its not tempered, realistically, what's the chance Ill shatter the tank drilling into it? It looks easy online but those people have done it dozens of times, this will be by first.

Also, Im not going to push my luck with multiple bulk heads, for a single bulkhead to pair with an 800gph nominal pump (620gph actual flow) what size bulkhead is safe?

Thanks!

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all if drill one hole you can drill more then one. Take your time and use water. I recommend a guide of some kind as well. Don’t try to push the bit through. The size of the bulkhead will have to fit the PVC pipe size. You want to go at least the size of the diameter of the hole away from the edge of the glass. If your going to use an overflow box that has one box in the tank and one box on the back of the tank I would go with a 1 1/2 inch bulkhead or a 2 inch but that’s just me I like a bit bigger hole just in case. ABS will cost a more but it’s well worth it. Go to BRS and look up what ever type of bulkhead you are going to buy the site gives you all the information you need. Another thing to think about is some people drill a hole for the return. Doesn’t have to be done.

5FFF8F11-05CB-4140-918D-0619228E7EBE.png

B046A0B6-1843-426C-B7F1-0183F0A86E9D.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all if drill one hole you can drill more then one. Take your time and use water. I recommend a guide of some kind as well. Don’t try to push the bit through. The size of the bulkhead will have to fit the PVC pipe size. You want to go at least the size of the diameter of the hole away from the edge of the glass. If your going to use an overflow box that has one box in the tank and one box on the back of the tank I would go with a 1 1/2 inch bulkhead or a 2 inch but that’s just me I like a bit bigger hole just in case. ABS will cost a more but it’s well worth it. Go to BRS and look up what ever type of bulkhead you are going to buy the site gives you all the information you need. Another thing to think about is some people drill a hole for the return. Doesn’t have to be done.
B046A0B6-1843-426C-B7F1-0183F0A86E9D.png

Polarized glasses arrived tonight. I can finally say, without a doubt, all 5 sides are tempered, (as is the glass I was going to use for the sump baffles). At least I can use the glass dill bits to make a better HOB overflow reservoir.

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of why I got into saltwater. That and not having to deal with CO2 anymore. It's not necessary to have CO2 in a saltwater tank even if there are complexity-equivalents, corals grow without them.
Ive given up on plants, I have 2 that are thriving and probably 6 species that just died slowly, now I just grow pothos and bamboo under water (bamboo shoot and roots underwater with leaves above, pothos almost fully submerged, with one or two leaves just at the surface) so much cheaper and hardier than aquatic plants, keeps my nitrates slightly lower than my tap water (40ppm out of the tap).

OP
OP
wickette

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank I bought to use as a sump is not tempered, so is a 20Long too risky to drill (or as risky as a 10)?

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because I want to put in a bulk head and the main tank is tempered so I cant put one in there

Not sure what you are trying to do. People don’t put bulkheads on the sump. You want the pipe from your overflow box to only be an inch below the water line or a little bit less. Any deeper and air can’t purge as easily. If on the other hand you have it out of the water it will make noise. The only time you would put a bulkhead is if you were attaching to sumps together. Pretend the skimmer isn’t there and there is only one pipe with no valve on it this is all you need.

8E5D40CD-7FEF-40C6-A5F3-1FB1A19BAE27.jpeg

Last edited:

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would forget about the bioballs and pot scrubbers and just go with one of these 4” blocks. It will do more then what all that other stuff will and it won’t trap all the crap in it. Use one sponge or filter sock off the first chamber and call it good. Clean the spong or filter sock every other day. Throw some carbon in the sump as well. You do know you can run a skimmer on a fresh water set up? Just something to think about.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/marinepure-ceramic-biomedia-video/

18B1EF6C-6F72-443D-9A07-69DB86DC57FC.jpeg

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run an AC return pump you are going to have to dial it back. This is how you do that.

5AE29024-0AC8-416D-ACC7-95437497761D.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back