AV99's custom 600g Reef Savvy on site build-Lots of pictures

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up next is the lighting I will use on my 600g Reef Savvy dream tank. I have been using metal halide lights for well over a decade so it is no surprise that am I sticking with what I know best and what makes my SPS happy....but with a twist. I will also be using LED strip lighting as supplements, but the primary source of lighting will consist of 6 (six) 400 watt metal halide lights.

Special thanks goes out to Chris Benner of Sticks N Stones and Tullio Dellaquila of Reef Brite for hooking me up with the Reef Brite HyBrid Metal Halide 400W Pendants with XHO LED strips X 3 for my dream build. These light fixtures are sweet and compliment my Reef Savvy tank very well. Chris is building me a custom light rack to house the Reef Brite Hybrid fixtures as well.

Hey I just got my hybrids in I was wondering how high off the water u are going to run them. Thanks justin

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure yet, Justin. I usually keep my lights at least a foot above the water surface, but with a 30" deep display tank, I may need to go a little closer, like 9" above the water surface.

Hey I just got my hybrids in I was wondering how high off the water u are going to run them. Thanks justin

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have another round of frags arriving tomorrow morning direct from the source. As many of you know, I have been a hardcore SPS collector for many years but I do grow-out a few other corals as well. But my passion is 99.99% sticks!

If I had to add just one more chalice to my collection, it would have to be a rainbow. And if all goes well, I will be getting a small frag of Cornbred's Rainbow Crush in the morning.

This picture is from CB's mother colony.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The new arrivals from this morning's shipment are in QT now. ;) My acclimation process is simple but time consuming. Dip, remove existing frag plugs, thoroughly inspect the contents from the dipped frags, and place in QT for further observation, and then repeat dip after first week, and then repeat dip again after second week, etc. .... that's how you can achieve a pest free system!

If I find any signs of AEFWs on new arrivals (or montipora eating nudibranchs), I just pitch them in the trash and call it a good day. Red bugs are easy to eradicate while in QT. Not worth it to me to savage infected corals .... My primary goal is to maintain 100% pest free system and the only way to do it right is long-term QT first on all new arrivals.

And the first dip turned out clean on today's arrivals! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rob no longer works for Marine Solutions but Joe is still there. Great people for sure ... always willing to help out!

Looking good man! Glad MS is still rocking over there, I use to enjoy talking to Rob all the time back in the day. Pretty funny guy.

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like a good trade, NeverlosT. I actually had the SC Dynamite years ago from Mike when it was priced crazy and it never made it when we moved to our new house in 2013. I think all rainbow chalices may be the same but would still trade with you because they are both amazing and could be different.

I like your QT/Dip system Aqua. Tell you what, when your Rainbow crush grows out I'll trade you frag for frag for SC Dynamite! (Actually that might be a dumb idea, they look a lot alike).

Awesome chalices, heck, awesome coral colors in general!

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You ever going to post a pic of this growout system?

I get asked this question a lot and when you shut down a very successful 400g SPS system and move to a new house, you need a large landing pad for transition while your dream 600g tank (1,000g + total water volume system) is being built on site.

This is the other side of my basement, featuring 99.99% acropora sticks collected from all around our planet growing out in pristine SPS conditions right here in O-H-I-O. I am addicted to the colorful sticks. Hardcore and very passionate hobbyist. I feel bad about keeping some of my prized fish in a smaller grow-out system over the past few years during construction of my new system, but they should have a much larger home soon, when my dream system is finally complete.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In that one tank do u have a black tang and angle a raccoon butterfly and a mag fox face? And a couple clowns?
Yes, yes and all types of clowns in the other grow-out tanks too, from Frostbite to Wyoming Whites....had a Gem tang too but gave it away to my friends @ Aquarium Artisans in Cincinnati, Ohio (ie, she was not happy in a smaller system)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back