OP
The_ReefB0y_FOX24

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby tang you mean?

I suggested cherub/pygmy. They are active but only get to 3 inches in size so I feel it is more appropriate if one must have a laterally compressed fish. It also glows neon :) and tends to have much more interactive personality then most tangs once settled. They eat algae as well.
Could I have a little more info on a Cherub Angelfish Please

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone who is capable of doing this correctly with a real plan wouldn’t be asking.
I'm not sure if the original post he even asked. I think it was more like this is what I'm doing and here I go! Statment.
This is why I feel this is click bait.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has to be click bait.
4Q86.gif

Sir Kon Salty Sox

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta admit this was a good read. Tang police are on it. I hope this is just a... trolling post...

If you're serious...?? you are just going to get attached to the fish, and not bring it back, and end up with a 150g tank 6 months from now. It's happened before and it'll happen again :p

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I have a little more info on a Cherub Angelfish Please

The pygmy angelfish, Centropyge argi, also called the cherub fish, is one of the few relatively reef safe angelfish from the Caribbean. Just how reef safe they are might be debated, but because of their small size they don’t pose much of a threat to corals or other non mobile invertebrates. There is a “strain” of these fish that can get up three inches long, but this strain rarely gets 2″ long. These are a beautiful dark purple fish with a splash of yellow or orange around their mouth and operculum. The dorsal and ventral fins are usually lined with a light blue color, but not always.

In an aquarium these fish are very easy to care for and will eat most prepared foods. They will be eating small pellets when they leave our shop, so they should start feeding right away for you.

In the wild they often live in colonies with one dominant male and a bunch of females, but I would not recommend more than one fish per tank . They have been successfully bred in captivity, but only the most sophisticated aquarists have had any luck raising the babies.

To add to this, they like caves and swim throughs in the rock work. They pick/eat algae off the rock as well. They are active fish and will almost always be moving throughout the tank. A healthy specimen should be eating at the store. They are a bit more prone to disease much like Tangs/Butterflies, etc then say clowns, blennies, and gobies.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta admit this was a good read. Tang police are on it. I hope this is just a... trolling post...

If you're serious...?? you are just going to get attached to the fish, and not bring it back, and end up with a 150g tank 6 months from now. It's happened before and it'll happen again :p

I see a lot of kids or teens... want Tangs in nano's and they can't afford a 150g. That is the vibe I am getting here but not sure.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely go for it, why not.
If the LFS is okay with taking it back once it's outgrown, there's no reason not to enjoy it in the meantime.

I've got a baby blue tang in my approx. 50 gal DT. (60 cube), Had it about 6 months and might've grown a little but not too much, still plenty of time before it out grows.
Hopefully by then the missus will let me upgrade to a larger tank. lol
If it hasn’t grown in 6 months, its because its not getting enough exercise, has stopped producing somatostatin (growth hormone) and has stunted growth, fatty liver disease, obesity, a whole host of other health issues, and a drastically shortened life span. It just blows my mind that on a forum that focuses on our love of the livestock we keep, people defend what is essentially animal cruelty. The people who do this or defend this practice always say ‘my fish is fat and happy’, not realizing that that is part of why its unethical, your fish shouldn’t be obese. Again, if your tang hasn’t grown in 6 months, there is something wrong

The argument that you can just trade them in is short sighted and irresponsible. Firstly, because it doesn’t always happen, probably not even half the time, people grow attached and because the fishes growth gets stunted they think that they’re not doing any harm and that the tank is still big enough. Secondly, because there just aren’t enough large tanks for all these rehomed (read: disposed of) fish. Over 75% of the hobby is now nano tanks, If there were tanks for all these large rehomed fish to go to, fish rescues wouldn’t exist and every LFS wouldn’t have tanks full of mature fish that don’t sell.

I don’t expect you to rethink keeping a tang in a 50g cube (which is 24”x24”, or about 4” more than a 25g cube), but I hope other people considering doing this, or people new to the hobby will rethink it, it’s really just not cool.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of kids or teens... want Tangs in nano's and they can't afford a 150g. That is the vibe I am getting here but not sure.
I don't know why you actually provided him with all that detailed information...it's his responsibility particularly if he's doing something unconventional. Honestly he probably won't read much of it...

OP
OP
The_ReefB0y_FOX24

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pygmy angelfish, Centropyge argi, also called the cherub fish, is one of the few relatively reef safe angelfish from the Caribbean. Just how reef safe they are might be debated, but because of their small size they don’t pose much of a threat to corals or other non mobile invertebrates. There is a “strain” of these fish that can get up three inches long, but this strain rarely gets 2″ long. These are a beautiful dark purple fish with a splash of yellow or orange around their mouth and operculum. The dorsal and ventral fins are usually lined with a light blue color, but not always.

In an aquarium these fish are very easy to care for and will eat most prepared foods. They will be eating small pellets when they leave our shop, so they should start feeding right away for you.

In the wild they often live in colonies with one dominant male and a bunch of females, but I would not recommend more than one fish per tank . They have been successfully bred in captivity, but only the most sophisticated aquarists have had any luck raising the babies.

To add to this, they like caves and swim throughs in the rock work. They pick/eat algae off the rock as well. They are active fish and will almost always be moving throughout the tank. A healthy specimen should be eating at the store. They are a bit more prone to disease much like Tangs/Butterflies, etc then say clowns, blennies, and gobies.
Thank you decided I want a cherub instead of trying to manage a tang.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 79 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back