Baby Tang in a 24 gallon

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it hasn’t grown in 6 months, its because its not getting enough exercise, has stopped producing somatostatin (growth hormone) and has stunted growth, fatty liver disease, obesity, a whole host of other health issues, and a drastically shortened life span. It just blows my mind that on a forum that focuses on our love of the livestock we keep, people defend what is essentially animal cruelty. The people who do this or defend this practice always say ‘my fish is fat and happy’, not realizing that that is part of why its unethical, your fish shouldn’t be obese. Again, if your tang hasn’t grown in 6 months, there is something wrong

The argument that you can just trade them in is short sighted and irresponsible. Firstly, because it doesn’t always happen, probably not even half the time, people grow attached and because the fishes growth gets stunted they think that they’re not doing any harm and that the tank is still big enough. Secondly, because there just aren’t enough large tanks for all these rehomed (read: disposed of) fish. Over 75% of the hobby is now nano tanks, If there were tanks for all these large rehomed fish to go to, fish rescues wouldn’t exist and every LFS wouldn’t have tanks full of mature fish that don’t sell.

I don’t expect you to rethink keeping a tang in a 50g cube (which is 24”x24”, or about 4” more than a 25g cube), but I hope other people considering doing this, or people new to the hobby will rethink it, it’s really just not cool.
This was beautifully said. Very very important to anyone who is in the hobby to have a similar mindset as this. Respect.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it hasn’t grown in 6 months, its because its not getting enough exercise, has stopped producing somatostatin (growth hormone) and has stunted growth, fatty liver disease, obesity, a whole host of other health issues, and a drastically shortened life span. It just blows my mind that on a forum that focuses on our love of the livestock we keep, people defend what is essentially animal cruelty. The people who do this or defend this practice always say ‘my fish is fat and happy’, not realizing that that is part of why its unethical, your fish shouldn’t be obese. Again, if your tang hasn’t grown in 6 months, there is something wrong

The argument that you can just trade them in is short sighted and irresponsible. Firstly, because it doesn’t always happen, probably not even half the time, people grow attached and because the fishes growth gets stunted they think that they’re not doing any harm and that the tank is still big enough. Secondly, because there just aren’t enough large tanks for all these rehomed (read: disposed of) fish. Over 75% of the hobby is now nano tanks, If there were tanks for all these large rehomed fish to go to, fish rescues wouldn’t exist and every LFS wouldn’t have tanks full of mature fish that don’t sell.

I don’t expect you to rethink keeping a tang in a 50g cube (which is 24”x24”, or about 4” more than a 25g cube), but I hope other people considering doing this, or people new to the hobby will rethink it, it’s really just not cool.
This!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefkeeping.com says 30-40 gallons. A cherub will use as much space as you give it whether a 100g or a 30g but most max out at 2 inches and should not get stunted or messed up in 30 gallon space. I do agree that more space is always better.

@The_ReefB0y_FOX24 the link above is actually a good read with some info on how to set up rock structure and diet. i would suggest giving it a read.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefkeeping.com says 30-40 gallons. A cherub will use as much space as you give it whether a 100g or a 30g but most max out at 2 inches and should not get stunted or messed up in 30 gallon space.

That is wholly untrue. 24 gallons is not even remotely close. Liveaquaria is in the business of selling as many fish as possible. They do not overestimate tank size. They often underestimate and actual tank size needs to be about 20% bigger.

Screenshot_20220617-104351_Chrome.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is wholly untrue. 24 gallons is not even remotely close.

That is just one basic source. I personally don't like to link sellers of fish as reliable sources. Bluezoo would tell you it is 24g. It is all over the place when looking at fish sellers. I tend to open articles or books for info. That is why I pulled up reefkeeping.

I would not say 30g is ideal, it is bare min imo but the fish should be fine if the tank is set up to meat its needs in terms of aquascape and feeding/tank mates.

1655484485637.png

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefkeeping.com says 30-40 gallons. A cherub will use as much space as you give it whether a 100g or a 30g but most max out at 2 inches and should not get stunted or messed up in 30 gallon space. I do agree that more space is always better.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/jf/

That is wholly untrue. 24 gallons is not even remotely close. Liveaquaria is in the business of selling as many fish as possible. They do not overestimate tank size. They often underestimate and actual tank size needs to be about 20% bigger.

Well actually it is not "wholly untrue" @Tamberav cited that a reefkeeping.com article made a particular statement which they paraphrased.

Quoted from the linked article:
"When it comes to space requirements, a few of the smaller species are actually suitable choices for small reef tanks less than 30-40 gallons in volume, as long as the tank isn’t occupied by too many other fishes. Having more space to move around is always better than less, though, and having plenty of shelter is very important for pygmy angels, too."

Citing liveaquaria's website does not make the referenced claim "wholly untrue".

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By far the biggest issue u had while reading through this was that OP made everyone do the work and debating for him. He still probably knows nothing about that fish and frankly probably isn't too concerned About that fact because someone here can always do the thinking for him later if needed.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well actually it is not "wholly untrue" @Tamberav cited that a reefkeeping.com article made a particular statement which they paraphrased.
OP has a 24G tank. @Tamberav referenced an article that said some may be good for 30-40g based on the opinion of that one specific article writer and did not mention any tank size for the cherub in particular.

30-40g is bigger than 24g. It is wholly untrue to say your kid is big enough to ride space mountain is they are 40" tall when the ride requires 48". Also wholly untrue to say a fish is big enough in a 24g when the smallest recommendations if you scour the web are larger than the tank in question.

If you actually want a successful aquarium, you use the largest recommended size or at least the average pf the larger vendors. You don't cherry pick one source. Blue zoo has been known for decades to undersize the minimum size purely to sell more fish. Liveaquaria has a reputation of undersizeing just a tiny bit but being pretty close.

Last edited:

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are pygmy angels/cherubs better behaved than other dwarf angels?
I had a coral beauty that was a royal PITA.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Searching the posts here you will find eatbreakfast recommended 24g for a cherub and Lasse mentioned it as a show fish for a 30g. I would consider people like them to have experience but if live aquaria is your end all then go with them.

Are pygmy angels/cherubs better behaved than other dwarf angels?
I had a coral beauty that was a royal PITA.

In what way? Corals or behavior?

better with corals, behavior varies from fish to fish. All dwarf angels got some spunk... and are semi aggressive imo. My flame is a little rude but okay with corals.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had great luck with cherubs even in 15 gallon systems, long term-- several times. It was basically the only fish in the tank both times, but it really did well and did not seem cramped in any way. The way I judge "seem cramped" is based on whether the fish interacts with the rock as it's primary substrate, swimming in and out of the rocks, or if it paces the glass.

Of particular note is the link that was posted from KP that explains that the ones they source are from the keys and stay smaller than ones from the rest of the Caribbean. I've always gotten mine from them-- or Sea Life inc, which is what KP was called before Karen and Philip took over from Karen's dad, Ken.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP has a 24G tank. @Tamberav referenced an article that said some may be good for 30-40g based on the opinion of that one specific article writer and did not mention any tank size for the cherub in particular.

30-40g is bigger than 24g. It is wholly untrue to say your kid is big enough to ride space mountain is they are 40" tall when the ride requires 48". Also wholly untrue to say a fish is big enough in a 24g when the smallest recommendations if you scour the web are larger than the tank in question.

If you actually want a successful aquarium, you use the largest recommended size or at least the average pf the larger vendors. You don't cherry pick one source. Blue zoo has been known for decades to undersizeing minimum sized purely to sell more fish. Liveaquaria has a reputation of undersizeing just a tiny bit but being pretty close.
I am not claiming that it is a good idea. I am only pointing out that the statement made about an article at reefkeeping.com was 100% accurate. Different sources will give you different results but that does not make someone's claim that it was said untrue.
You are also correct that 24 is less than 30; the article addresses this as well.

"a few of the smaller species are actually suitable choices for small reef tanks less than 30-40 gallons"

snickers104

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about putting a baby blue hippo tang in my Red Sea Reefer 350...about 80 gallon 4 foot long tank but am rethinking that after reading up on them

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, only a day and already 6 pages. I always miss the "fun" threads where the tang police are in full force. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I'm just going to say that I've seen very happy and healthy tangs in tanks smaller than 100 gallons, and the owners were very meticulous in maintaining the reef environment, water parameters and feeding. You can't just compare apples to apples in terms of tank sizes, because there are a multitude of other factors.

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is also too large for a 24 gallon.

If liveaquaria says minimum tank size larger than 30 gallons, the fish will not work.
At this point we are in damage control, mitigating a potential disaster. If OP chooses to put a cherub in their 24 gallon over a nano tang, I call that a win! Sometimes you have to take a win where you can get it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point we are in damage control, mitigating a potential disaster. If OP chooses to put a cherub in their 24 gallon over a nano tang, I call that a win! Sometimes you have to take a win where you can get it.
"Win" is hard to define here - this is more akin to "rent to own". Terming the cherub as the lesser of two evils is still, well - not ideal long term.

Unless you absolutely, positively will be upgrading within 6 months (and by upgrade, I mean a substantial upgrade) you're really better off sticking with a pair of clownfish.

Honestly, aside from maybe one or two exceptions I've never figured out the allure of tangs. They're bonafide ich magnets and have to be one of the dumbest fish you could potentially put in your reef.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back