Baby Tang in a 24 gallon

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still trying to comprehend why an LFS would take a fish back.. Not a single one around me does. I totally get that too. Who knows what could be introduced into a stores system potentially wiping out a stores entire inventory. Oh and yea no tang in a 24 gallon.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still trying to comprehend why an LFS would take a fish back.. Not a single one around me does. I totally get that too. Who knows what could be introduced into a stores system potentially wiping out a stores entire inventory. Oh and yea no tang in a 24 gallon.

My LFS will take in fish, but he won't pay for them, not even store credit. I regularly donate coral frags to him.

Since this shop is closest and by far the most reasonably priced store within 200 miles of me, I don't sweat donating. The money I save just in the food I buy from him has paid for everything I have ever donated and then some.

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used my LFS for over two years so they know me - the owner has seen my reef and knows how fastidious I am with it. I have also supplied them with frags on more than one occasion. I think they would think hard about doing it with someone they didn’t know - however, they run separate tanks that could become ‘hospital’ if need be for a fish if it were desirable. Interestingly my LFS has a Sailfin Tang at the moment that is very small being circa 1 inch - would it be in that fishes best interest to be added to a large tank with large tank mates straight away? I do think people need need a plan, however, and should understand what will need to happen in the future.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used my LFS for over two years so they know me - the owner has seen my reef and knows how fastidious I am with it. I have also supplied them with frags on more than one occasion. I think they would think hard about doing it with someone they didn’t know - however, they run separate tanks that could become ‘hospital’ if need be for a fish if it were desirable. Interestingly my LFS has a Sailfin Tang at the moment that is very small being circa 1 inch - would it be in that fishes best interest to be added to a large tank with large tank mates straight away? I do think people need need a plan, however, and should understand what will need to happen in the future.
Of course a tiny tang wouldn't go in with the big boys right away but... It costs thousands to upgrade to a big boy tank. Not everyone in this hobby has the means to do so. It shouldn't deter anyone but then There's the reality of the situation that even with the best of intentions life happens especially in these times. I have an SR8O I would love to add a baby yellow in. I also have a reefer 625 that can handle it later down the road and I'm still hesitant about housing it in an 80 with small community fish. Being honest I wouldn't even do business with a shop that wouldn't ask where the fish is going before selling it. Most of these fish spend weeks in 10 gallon tanks before being sold.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory, I don’t think anyone is opposed to keeping a 1” tang in a smaller tank. The problem is that a majority of the people who do this never upgrade or rehome them, and if they do rehome them they wait until way past the point that the fish is already experiencing health issues. They get attached, and often rationalize keeping it in the tank because ‘it seems happy’ (not realizing that the fish is already stunted and has a bunch of health issues). A 1” tang in a 24g tank really only has 3-6 months before it would need to be moved to a larger tank.

As mentioned previously, there just aren’t enough large tanks for all these fish to go to. And another thing that gets glossed over is the stress that rehoming causes them. Catching, transporting, and acclimating a fish is a huge stress event for the fish, which can make them susceptible to diseases that their immune system would’ve otherwise protected them from. There was just a thread yesterday where a guy was having his LFS babysit their fish while they are cycling a new tank, and one of them died from the stress.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s fine, if your dedicated in managing the environment, nothing wrong at all, this yellows seen three upgrades in 6 years, still only 4”.
You have to start somewhere.
B5E34B60-8328-4006-93CA-6B870DA92D24.jpeg

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS will take in fish, but he won't pay for them, not even store credit. I regularly donate coral frags to him.

Since this shop is closest and by far the most reasonably priced store within 200 miles of me, I don't sweat donating. The money I save just in the food I buy from him has paid for everything I have ever donated and then some.
One of the stores I deal with also take back livestock. Depending on the fish, you get store credit. Just had to return a giant (for me) rabbit fish as it was just too big for my tank, got 100 bucks credit due to it being ultimately healthy. Store prolly sold it for at least 1/3 more of the credit price. It was gone in less than a week to someones 240g fowlr tank.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16in high and deep 24in long and we are talking 2inch tangs upon purchase and willing to go smaller.
If it’s 16”x24”x12” that’s 19.9 gallons .
Along with other fish ( damsels ) rock mountains ,
Where is this tang supposed to swim ?

I’ve never put any tang in smaller then a 75 gal .
4’ giving them a little swimming room . That being said I believe a 30 gal could keep a juv happy for a short time .
Good luck and happy reefing

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the stores I deal with also take back livestock. Depending on the fish, you get store credit. Just had to return a giant (for me) rabbit fish as it was just too big for my tank, got 100 bucks credit due to it being ultimately healthy. Store prolly sold it for at least 1/3 more of the credit price. It was gone in less than a week to someones 240g fowlr tank.

I asked my store owner about this a while back. He told me that the expense of keeping his crew employed is so high due to the rising minimum wage that he can't afford to "buy" fish anymore. Again, he keeps his prices SO reasonable, that I don't debate that. I would rather donate a fish or frag to him and allow him to continue to price as he does than demand a payment and then pay 30% more for the staples I buy regularly.

For example, he sells the blister packs of frozen foods that I use in my tanks for less than $5 each. The local Petsmart sells the identical packs for $9.

Do I demand that he pay me $50 for a fish and then pay him $9 for a pack of food or do I just donate it and stay at $5?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s 16”x24”x12” that’s 19.9 gallons .
Along with other fish ( damsels ) rock mountains ,
Where is this tang supposed to swim ?

I’ve never put any tang in smaller then a 75 gal .
4’ giving them a little swimming room . That being said I believe a 30 gal could keep a juv happy for a short time .
Good luck and happy reefing

The post you quoted is EXACTLY why I reversed my original advice on getting a Tang. Yes, I kept a baby Hippo for a few months in a 32.. but that is a 32.. AND, I had the 180 that I knew I would move it to as soon as it was big enough to defend itself against the big boys.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked my store owner about this a while back. He told me that the expense of keeping his crew employed is so high due to the rising minimum wage that he can't afford to "buy" fish anymore. Again, he keeps his prices SO reasonable, that I don't debate that. I would rather donate a fish or frag to him and allow him to continue to price as he does than demand a payment and then pay 30% more for the staples I buy regularly.

For example, he sells the blister packs of frozen foods that I use in my tanks for less than $5 each. The local Petsmart sells the identical packs for $9.

Do I demand that he pay me $50 for a fish and then pay him $9 for a pack of food or do I just donate it and stay at $5?
I get it, totally. I was more than fortunate in my recent case. I didn't ask for a credit and never have. I've turned in a few fish over the years (usually behavioral issues) and I just got lucky this time. I went to buy a bunch of softies, when I traded the rabbit in and I got to the register and was told I only owed 15 bucks. I wasn't gonna look at a gifted horse in the mouth, I happily ran and was reminded why I stop in every few weeks and pick up something... Loyalty means a lot.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a post on FB of a guy that had a yellow tang in a 13.5 fluval. Ive seen tangs at petco that weren’t no longer than 2”. Op do what you want.
Just because you have seen someone do it does not make it a good idea. This is Bad advice

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back