Bacteria maintenance. What do you dose?

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh? I don't know what this is.
Stony coral tissue loss disease (SCTLD) is a highly lethal coral disease that was first reported off the coast of Florida in 2014 and has since spread rapidly throughout the Caribbean. The disease affects over 20 coral species and is now present on reefs in 18 countries and territories.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stony coral tissue loss disease (SCTLD) is a highly lethal coral disease that was first reported off the coast of Florida in 2014 and has since spread rapidly throughout the Caribbean. The disease affects over 20 coral species and is now present on reefs in 18 countries and territories.
Oh very nice.

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, it somehow got into my tank through coral purchases and completely wiped out my 8 year old reef, starting over from scratch with new tank in about 2 weeks.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too had not heard of that. It’s good that anyone found a way to beat dinos they’re such a scourge for us

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Aquaforest system. I dose AF Bio S once per week, AF ProBio S and -NP Pro daily (carbon dosing), and on occasion, MB Clean.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on if the bacteria are probiotic or not...if not, I'd say there's no point in adding additional bacteria at any time unless you're having a specific issue. Even with the probiotic bacteria its hard to say they're really beneficial since they're likely outcompeted very quickly. The one product I'm curious about is PNS Probio.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How about you check that attitude at the door? This thread is about what others are doing as far as bacteria dosing is concerned.

You didn’t answer my question in the slightest bit. You are clearly here to fight with anyone that feels there is a benefit.

Can someone please show me how to mute this person?
I apologize if you think I had an attitude. As a microbiologist - I think I have a bit of expertise - and was merely saying 'I do not think it makes sense to add bacteria'. I'm sorry you consider that 'a fight'. That is the answer to your question.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I am wondering if there were results from Aquabiomics re: bottled bacteria’s effects on biodiversity score.
here's a quick summary of Eli from aquabiomics data and thinking on your questions about bacterial products, gleaned from some interviews...
e) bottled bacterial products
linkq3e
“There’s always a very short list of [bacterial] ingredients, 2 or 3 - maybe some might have 7. Almost none of those seem to persist very long in the aquarium.” and even if they all did, that small number of types would do almost nothing for measured diversity.

linkQ3e2
“The components of bottled bacterial products are not the components of a reef tank microbiome, in a venn diagram there’s little intersection between those two circles. The viewer can interpret that how they wish.”
These products DO have an effect on the microbiome of the tank. These effects are seen over and over. If you dose most bottled bacterial products, you will see a bloom in the family Fusobacteriaceae (one of the families Eli has said increase from carbon dosing). But this family is not a component of the bottled products. A lot of the effects that we see from bottled products probably come from the addition of nutrients in the bottles that feed bacteria resident in the tank already.
It seems they are selecting bacteria for the bottles intended for a specific purpose “consuming ammonia” “degrading polysaccharides form algal cell walls” but having those bacteria become part of the ongoing community is not an expectation and it doesn’t seem to happen.
Eli says he thinks they are overused in the hobby and adding to an established tank is probably not a sensible use of the products.

Q6 Have you tested ____ bacterial product, will you write an article?
LinkQ6
They’ve tested a bunch of products. Probably not going to be an article. He decided that making a bunch of companies mad was not a great business strategy to start with. But he is happy to run tests on products for any hobbyist who wants to know and share - he’s just not going to write an article listing the bacterial ingredients in all the hobby products.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
here's a quick summary of Eli from aquabiomics data and thinking on your questions about bacterial products, gleaned from some interviews...
This goes along with the science that has been published for years/perhaps decades. Added bacteria are either overcome by the existing bacteria - or they take over from the existing bacteria - depending on a number of things. This is why I suggested that adding bacteria is 'not helpful'. PS - At least in my experience when I wanted to test Aquabiomics, I got a discount on samples - so it shouldn't be hard for someone to send tests as 'unknowns' to Aquabiomics.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks @taricha for confirming the science that has been available for years

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I collected thousands of amphipods and maybe millions of copepods along with some mud and threw it all in my reef. Thats how I dose. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I take it from here, under the rocks at low tide. Not that big rock. I can't lift that one yet. :oops:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back