Bacteria maintenance. What do you dose?

Rick Gaas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting an idea of what bacteria people dose.

Please list what products, how often, and why you dose them.

Do you have a specific bacteria product you dose for dirty sand, algae, to lower nutrients???

Share what works fo you!

Thanks!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cheap, so I do the sponge effect. I got two large sponges, clean throughly, then leave in sump. Every morning squeeze one, then other in evening. See crab, I think it's in deep thought.

received_2489897528006068.jpeg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also say that I carbon dose, so I am relying on bacteria for my nutrient control and that's been very successful for me. My questions on bacteria supplements revolve around the need for any bacteria additions or diversity beyond what naturally occurs.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting an idea of what bacteria people dose.

Please list what products, how often, and why you dose them.

Do you have a specific bacteria product you dose for dirty sand, algae, to lower nutrients???

Share what works fo you!

Thanks!

Never dosed any in 20 years of reefing. :)

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using Microbacter7 but I gotta say I have serious doubts it added any measurable benefit.

Others will disagree with my statement I'm sure and have seen good results. I haven't.

Didn't see any negative effects either.
I appreciate your thoughtful conclusion. So often I hear people say "I added this bottle of bacteria and it worked well for me". Really? In comparison to what? If there isnt a control tank right next to it, identical in every way except the dose, how could a person conclude it had "worked"?

I'll go ahead and say it: I suspect most of these bottled products are effectively placebos, and have seen no evidence that they produce any lasting effects in aquariums. I personally find it a little surprising so many are adding bottles of unknown ingredients without evidence these products do anything at all, let alone have the stated effect.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock systems will never need it and will never skew out of balance with normal export habits and tank maintenance. Bottle bac sellers are riding a huge feel good wave for a long time, I'm determined not to make their vette payments for them

when to use bottle bac: to make a dry rock cycle speed up or to try and battle dinos in a dry rock system.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Dr Tim's waste away gels since it's supposedly time released over a month.

Can't say that I have noticed anything from using them in the tank. They do get a nice slime coat over the bars so at least the bacteria are alive and doing *something*, however if I stopped using them I doubt I would notice any changes in the display.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed bacteria when setting up my tank. I'll add some bacteria if adding multiple new fish.

Other than that I've tried vibrant, and waste away. Can't say I saw much of a difference. I think the multiple water changes did more for the algae than the bacteria did.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People talk about bacterial diversity as if it was an inherent virtue. Even if adding bacteria increases diversity, why is that desirable?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been operated my tank for a while to encourage 3 types of bacteria: 1) Nitrogen reducing bacteria i.e. that are responsible for reducing ammonia to nitrogen gas; 2) Bacteria free in the water column that binds N&P as it uses organics and is then exported i.e. carbon dosing; and 3) Bacteria that is added to reduce algae & organic detritus i.e. Vibrant.

As the tank has matured, I have cut back carbon dosing. I'm down to 18 ml/day of vinegar in a 100 gallon system. That's probably not enough to appreciably reduce nutrients, but I like the idea of free bacteria as food for other organisms in the system. I've also cut the Vibrant dosage to 5ml every other week. I have observed that this small dose helps with water clarity and reduces film build-up on the glass.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back