Best skimmers in the industry: Who gets your vote?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Bubble Magus. I had the NAC 5.5, but now I have the Curve 7. The only ones I have had, but I love them.
I have the Curve 7 also. Only working skimmer I have ever owned. It does seem to skim great, but it is very touchy. Running for well over a month now and every once in awhile it will still get unstable and flood the collector.

Could be operator error (very likely) but those are my observations.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geo's Reef skimmer hands down

Built like an absolute tank, doesn't feel brittle like some other skimmers. I've owned quite a few skimmers from asm, reef octopus, euro reef, etc.

20160721_013602.jpg

p7willm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you rarely see in reviews is how easy/possible is it to clean. Gunk in the bottom may not affect how it skims but my OCD makes me want to clean it. I had, until yesterday, a Reef Octopus internal, and I tried to clean it. It's all glued together and the best I came up with was running it in the sink with ascorbic acid to dissolve some of the gunk. After cleaning it was sitting on the counter and fell into the sink and snapped the motor off (thats why I had it until yesterday) The replacement will be my second and I rejected some because it would be hard/impossible to clean. I picked a reef octopus sss cause it looks like I can take it apart to clean. As a bonus the sss has a smaller footprint to allow more room for the rest of the junk I have added, or want to add, to the sump.

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used eshopps and reef octopus and reef octopus is hands down the better of the two. I have never used anything else but reef octopus gets my vote.

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef octopus and skimz. I've owned both and don't have complaints for either of them.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1477444936.291460.jpg

Me like my MRC(My Reef Creation)! This one is an MR-1 model with 1 single Beckett inductor. I added an additional extension for increased reaction time. It works great, easy to maintain, and being external, doesn't become encrusted with growth. The plexi construction makes it durable and leakproof, no salt creeping!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ASM for bang/buck

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only one I've ever had (that was worth a plug nickel...) is a Reef Octopus HOB "2000", and for a HOB, that thing kicks butt & takes names. Just pulled a pretty full cup of nasty greenish-black skimmate out of it, that's about three days' production (with the note that I'm currently dosing about 2.5ml of No3Po4-x thrice daily...). It _is_ noisy, with a constant, rhythmic gurgle that is reminiscent of waves lapping at the shore, and a soft buzz from the lid of the collection cup. I tame the lid-buzz with an Apatosaurus model whose weight distribution helps clamp the lid just that little needed bit.

Currently casting my eye about for a skimmer that'll tidily handle a new (to me) 220, so this thread couldn't come up at a better time!

~Bruce

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used two different Reef Octopus skimmers, one internal and now a HOB, love both of them.

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos 160. I've also enjoyed the SRO line and recently had great success with a cheapo JNS cone s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble King is the best I have ever owned performance wise. I have owned multiple I-Tech models, multiple Euro Reefs, multiple coralvue, cpr , remora, multiple vertex models, Reef Dynamics, mad dog, I am sure I missed a couple.

+1

bk.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back