Best skimmers in the industry: Who gets your vote?

Stubaca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimz and Aquamaxx I have used several others but these were extrmely easy to dial in and really no break in time.... worked right away!

Deaf clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a vertex 130i, only one I've used so far and I must say the quality is there but I feel the engineering could be better. If and when I get a new skimmer it'll be a deltec.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down the best... Puts Deltec, Bubble King, Vertex to shame :p
Skilter250_957410_ml.JPG

All about the skilter!! Can you combine it with the biolife? Lol

n8rad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had reef octopus, eshopps, deltec, and now finally bubble king. No comparison even with deltec...Bubble King hands down!!!!!!!!!!

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the three I have owned,

Vertex
Reef Octopus
Lifereef,

The Reef Octopus external I have is insanely better then the other two. Just my experience so far...

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had kz, euroreef, Deltec, Etss, tunze, swc, and now lifereef. I didn't like the swc & the Deltec. Too early to tell, but I think the lifereef will be my vote as best. Etss would be second choice with euro reef a close third

twreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I just put in a vote for Reef Octopus for WORST skimmer?

Pugfishluv3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the skelter (yes my bad was new and didn't know better) coralife which sucked as well my bubble magus is awsome but finicky and does make that gurgling sound I just shut it up with a piece of paper towel lol

Furiousreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the hobby for over eight years going from seaclone, redsea max HOB, RO, Bubble magus, swe, skimz, vertex alpha 170, Bubble King (mini 180 and double cone) and now using Vetex 200. IMHO, Bubble king and vertex are the best. However, bb king has the edge over vertex because of craftmanship And innovation.

usernam invalid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a few different skimmers over the years coral life 65g , bubble Magnus curve 7, Skimz SM 163DC, reef octopus 300ext but now running Deltec TC 206o. The Deltec has been a reliable work horse and worth it's weight in gold. Build quality is top notch. Never goes nutz and overflows the collection cup no matter what gets throw into my system.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with the skilter many moons ago. Several hob then to sump skimmers. Reef octopus base model was ok, aquamaxx significantly better. Warner marine (skimz) the best so far for me. Really quiet, lower power, and slightly less footprint.

Graal87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze Doc skimmers (9410, 9415, 9460...).
Efficiency, low energy, reliability, German quality!

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started years a go with air driven, used a Lifereef, 6 ft with beckett, an Etss, Euroreef, two AQUA-C then went back and added a second pump to my euro reef worked great so then with my 300 gallon purchased a Reef Dynamic aka Euroreef. Of course Reef Dynamics is out of business now. If one of my pumps on my larger Reef Dynamics goes out I will replace the pump with something else. It is a great skimmer and other brands that will handle a 300 gallon system, well stocked sps tank get expensive or take up a lot of room. Bubble King or Deltec maybe better but I have never seen one in operation and I can not afford one to just test it out. If I turn off my skimmer, feed my corals and fish heavy then turn my skimmer back on it will pull all the excess left overs out in about an hour. Unless the skimmer itself breaks, I will not be changing it out anytime soon. One does not want to skimp on the skimmer but it does not mean you have to get the most expensive. A skimmer also need to be easy to remove and clean cup, with the Reef Dynamics the neck comes off with the cup and I can get my arm down inside of the skimmer body. It is 10" diameter, 32 inches tall so it is hard to reach the bottom but I can service the entire skimmer and pumps without removing the actual skimmer from the sump. So find something sized for what you are keeping, easy to service and easy to get replacement parts including pump then look at the price and be sure you have the room for it.

adestafi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im running the reef octopus 150SSS- its a beast, as long as you clean it once in awhile

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back