Best skimmers in the industry: Who gets your vote?

Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over my time in the hobby the more noteworthy skimmers I can recall were the Vertex IN-280, Deltec AP-600, MRC MR-3 and Bubble Magus Curve 7. Some were run with ozone for part of their life none had any trouble with it. Before learning about the premium brands I had tried all manner inexcusable contraptions (absolutely none of which are even worth discussing)! The latest skimmer I'm exploring is the IceCap K2-160 but the verdict is still out on if that was a foolish choice or not. So far I'm not stoked about the construction of it and there's a lot of "why would they ever..." thoughts flying through my head about it but I'll give it a chance. Will try anything once. If this IceCap turns out to be a flop chances are I'll be back to the Curve or Vertex line of skimmers really quickly. The Deltec was absolutely one of the nicer skimmers over the years but I'm not certain it's worth the premium sticker price compared to some of the more competitive models out there now. Ask me in about 90 days once my new tank is up and going.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a couple, right now I use an Eshops 250. Nothing new about it, pin wheel, good quality pump, bubble plate, easy to adjust, fair price. The selling point for me is that it completely comes apart for cleaning in a matter of seconds. No more trying to shove my size large hand thru a size small neck to clean it out, a few thumbscrews and the whole base comes off for pump access and cleaning. Small footprint for crowded sumps also.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Engineering

12631364_1208338702513784_4798348024950363132_n.jpg

new system picks 041.jpg

Johnseye

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a very subjective question and the answer depends on many different variables such as tank size, location, livestock just to name a few.
I've owned a Reef Octopus SRO 2000 INT, a couple Aquamaxx, a Nyos Quantum 160 and Lifereef. Of those four models I liked the Nyos because it was quiet and skimmed very very well. It was well suited for where the tank was, a sunroom which is part of the kitchen and family room. It's highly traffic'd, near where we eat, talk and watch tv. So quiet was very important. Also, the pump in the Nyos doesn't generate much heat. Low wattage.

Now that I've removed that tank and setup a larger one in the basement with its own fish room, I'm using a Lifereef 24 internal. I tried but couldn't use the Lifereef in my first tank because A. the venturi on it is loud. It was the loudest thing from thank tank. And B. the pump I use for the Lifereef is the Vectra M1 and when used in this situation with a 120g it heated my water up higher than I wanted, and I could not use a chiller in that location.

Now that I have a dedicated fishroom I run a chiller which allows me to use the Lifereef and Vectra without concerns of heat or noise. I further added a CO2 scrubber connected to the Lifereef which helped to muffle the venturi. Muffling the venturi is an option for anyone wanting to quiet their Lifereef. Other than those two "situational" issues, its' a great skimmer, does an amazing job, is easy to dial in, and I use the extra large cup which allows for a lot more skimmate. I can also extend the height if and when needed.

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had many over the years, but my 2 favorites are Aqua-C EV series and Tunze DOC skimmer is what I'm presently running on my 55-gallon aquarium, But just recently purchased an Aqua-C for EV 400 for my new 120-gallon build. But in actuality what may work for one hobbyist, may not work for another, preference is quite subjective. I stand by my choices, I've had excellent experience with both. :)

Wesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my new Reef octopus Regal INT150 with DC pump. Big upgrade after Bubble Magus Curve 5 which was very hard to adjust

spllbnd2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had a few different branded skimmers here and seems that the Reef Octopus performed the best overall imo.

Cheers,
Alex

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had many over the years, but my 2 favorites are Aqua-C EV series and Tunze DOC skimmer is what I'm presently running on my 55-gallon aquarium, But just recently purchased an Aqua-C for EV 400 for my new 120-gallon build. But in actuality what may work for one hobbyist, may not work for another, preference is quite subjective. I stand by my choices, I've had excellent experience with both. :)
Are you using the EV-400 external or internal? I did like my EV-240 but only external plumped through the end of the sump. They require a good pressure pump and internal the pumps add a lot of heat. I went with an in sump with needle wheels to save on electrical and heat. I don't use a chiller which also save on energy cost and less plumbing.

R_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 3:
Reef octopus
Skimz
Bubble Magus

If I had to buy a new one I would get the Reef Octopus.

Richard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only have had one since I started years ago and it takes care of 625 gal loop system built by George from GEO still works great.

snowboard1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a BubbleKing if $$ was no object. In the meantime this baby does the trick pretty well for ~ $300 on CL.
20160813_111314[1].jpg

Jen_h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1+ for the bubble magus. Have the curve 7 on a 92 corner, and the magus 9 on my 180.
Love the dependability and the price point. It gets the job done!

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first skimmer : MTC ( marine technical concept ) >> garbage
second skimmer : Reef Octopus >> much better than MTC
third skimmer : Deltec <<< great skimmer - don't plan on changing anytime soon

EZ Electric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remora hang on (started)
Upgraded to Euroreef
After 10 years reefoctopus
And now new Nyos Quantum

Must say they all have there flaws

*** Nyos seems to be best so far

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best skimmer I ever owned at skimming the crap out of my water was a homemade 6 foot tall counter current lime wood airstone driven skimmer. I hated maintainin it though but man did it work

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2761.JPG
IMG_2740.JPG
Just ordered this one Yesterday from Dr Foster & Smith For my 55 gallon reef.

Eshopps In-Sump Protein Skimmers PSK-150.

It arrives Tomorrow I'll report back in a week. Needs to break in.. The 150 is the Middle one.
Oh BTW that's eco complete planted black aquarium substrate, that I added to my Black tahitian moon sand Bed. Makes the Corals Really POP

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back