Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - day 15

Log updated
Mg is 1905ppm
salinity is 1.026
No ill effects to tank
Bry still going strong tho :(

I'm thinking about dosing H2O2 for the next 2 weeks. Any thoughts on that? Also in 2 weeks adding 2 lettuce nudibranchs to assist in manual removal. It's not that I don't believe in the Tech M treatment. I would like to see if known eliminators combined will be more effective. So let's talk about that for a bit.
I would at least go to 2000ppm and let it sit there for 3 weeks. You've come this far.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean 6 weeks from day 1 of dosing above normal Mg readings.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked my phosphates with Salifert test. Zero trace. The test stayed clear.

Maxxingout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about dosing H2O2 for the next 2 weeks. Any thoughts on that
I did dose H2O2 while running Tech M. Between the 2, it kept the bry stems translucent and without ferns. Weeks later when I stopped, color started coming back into the stems and ferns started popping out of them also.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did dose H2O2 while running Tech M. Between the 2, it kept the bry stems translucent and without ferns. Weeks later when I stopped, color started coming back into the stems and ferns started popping out of them also.

That's awful, but thanks for sharing your experience.

Other than manual removal once a week I haven't done anything else to combat Bry. I feel I should wait a couple more weeks, before adding or changing the process. I'll maintain Mg @ 2000ppm for a couple more weeks. I do see new ferns in new locations, but older Bry is dying off. Confusing results to date. I would think that the 2000ppm would be enough to prevent new growth if Tech-M was a working treatment, but maybe it needs more time.

My next step will be adding the H2O2 algae treatment process, to the existing tech m process for 2 weeks. At which time treatment using just Tech-M will be proven to not be an effective treatment at all. Or at least in my case not effective for my species of Bry. The work will continue until I find the best process for effectively treating this Devils weed. Can I get an exorcism if conventional methods fail? Haha.

Maxxingout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, I really hope you find the path to righteousness! I had my mg up @ 2100 while dosing 20ml H2O2 in the morning and the same @ night. My sps polpys were out strong and was having good encrusting + growth too, weird. I have last almost all my snails and unfortunately my fire shrimp ;( I just recently had to siphon out a bunch of bry that was like 5" long off a 5 of my rocks. I ended up loosing 1 of my sps due to this stuff suffocating it. I've got so much going on right now in my life I'm having a hard time playing babysitter anymore. my tank is going on 2yrs soon, I've spent over 1yr battling this stuff- the fun is over. My next step when I have time is to take out all the rock, chip off as many/much of the sps I can and get rid of this rock. I have nice growing zoas that have bry growing out inbetween the polpys. I've already dipped them in 100% H2O2 and it just keeps coming back. Looks Like I'll have to garbage them? I mean nothing else will work so I'm at a lose. After all this and I still transfer some bry then either I'm tapping out or I'll be going to a fish only system.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, I really hope you find the path to righteousness! I had my mg up @ 2100 while dosing 20ml H2O2 in the morning and the same @ night. My sps polpys were out strong and was having good encrusting + growth too, weird. I have last almost all my snails and unfortunately my fire shrimp ;( I just recently had to siphon out a bunch of bry that was like 5" long off a 5 of my rocks. I ended up loosing 1 of my sps due to this stuff suffocating it. I've got so much going on right now in my life I'm having a hard time playing babysitter anymore. my tank is going on 2yrs soon, I've spent over 1yr battling this stuff- the fun is over. My next step when I have time is to take out all the rock, chip off as many/much of the sps I can and get rid of this rock. I have nice growing zoas that have bry growing out inbetween the polpys. I've already dipped them in 100% H2O2 and it just keeps coming back. Looks Like I'll have to garbage them? I mean nothing else will work so I'm at a lose. After all this and I still transfer some bry then either I'm tapping out or I'll be going to a fish only system.

I'm sorry to hear that. It's unfortunate.

This all started for me when I purchased some high end pally/zoas from a local hobbyist. The Bry was very small and barely nocticable on the Sunny D paly frag as well as on a Rastas plug. Unfortunately, this guy's been in the hobby for 6 years didn't "notice" and failed to give me a heads up. I think he knew because he has avoided my messages and emails ever since the origional sale. I've never mentioned to him that I know about the Bryopsis or anything other than to buy more frags. It was a test to see his knowledge of the situation, and he has been silent. I'm refraining from using his screen name here. Any rate weather he was ignorant to it or knew what he had it and wanted to unload it, doesn't matter now. Now it's my problem, and I'm dealing with it. It's kinda like herpes I guess. There are people that know they have it and don't mind giving it to others...

Sorry for the disgusting analogy.

Maxxingout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NP, saying it's frustrating is a understatement! It does stink if he knew it and is selling anyways that's for sure!

I believe I got mine from a LFS. I started out with rock from BRS, cycled the tank and started adding things slowly. Funny thing is I never seen any algae on the corals I bought. Even after being in the tank for months I never noticed a thing. Then 1 day, nowhere near any of my corals, on a portion of white rock, I see the little clump of algae growing. Never knew what it was and thought gha. Could it have come on a coral, never grow on or near it and just show up somewhere else?

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NP, saying it's frustrating is a understatement! It does stink if he knew it and is selling anyways that's for sure!

I believe I got mine from a LFS. I started out with rock from BRS, cycled the tank and started adding things slowly. Funny thing is I never seen any algae on the corals I bought. Even after being in the tank for months I never noticed a thing. Then 1 day, nowhere near any of my corals, on a portion of white rock, I see the little clump of algae growing. Never knew what it was and thought gha. Could it have come on a coral, never grow on or near it and just show up somewhere else?

Rumor has it that one of the ways the algae reproduces is by spores, which would explain why it pops up in places where there is no other sign of it.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - Day 23

Ok friends. Someone tell me what's going on here.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 6 weeks - TREATMENT FAILURE

Kents Tech M has proven to be unsuccessful in treating my species of Bryopsis. I'm moving on to a product made by Continuum aquatics - reef basis magnesium. Origional founder Kent left Kents and started this product line. This Mg supplement does have trace minerals including bromine, boron, lithium, rubidium, molybdenum, zinc, Nicole, copper, manganese, vanadium, cesium, cobalt, tungsten, selenium, and chromium. I'm scared...but here goes.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 6 weeks - TREATMENT FAILURE

Kents Tech M has proven to be unsuccessful in treating my species of Bryopsis. I'm moving on to a product made by Continuum aquatics - reef basis magnesium. Origional founder Kent left Kents and started this product line. This Mg supplement does have trace minerals including bromine, boron, lithium, rubidium, molybdenum, zinc, Nicole, copper, manganese, vanadium, cesium, cobalt, tungsten, selenium, and chromium. I'm scared...but here goes.
Please keep us updated. I am really interested and hopeful that we find a solution before I end up doing something a lot more drastic to my tank.

RobinsonReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kent Tech M failed for me too. After 6 weeks my bryopsis was stunted somewhat to where it was not spreading, lost its ferns, turned toxic bright green but the patches I still had kept growing back after manual removal. I had two sections about 40lbs apiece of marco dry rock that were cemented together. I replaced one section yesterday and planning to do the other next weekend to reduce shock to the tank. My tank is about 7 months old now. I got my bryopsis from a frag I failed to inspect properly before gluing it to my rock, that combined with a nitrate problem at the time lead to the outbreak. Water parameters under control now and bryopsis wont spread but wont die either. Evil stuff.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kent Tech M failed for me too. After 6 weeks my bryopsis was stunted somewhat to where it was not spreading, lost its ferns, turned toxic bright green but the patches I still had kept growing back after manual removal. I had two sections about 40lbs apiece of marco dry rock that were cemented together. I replaced one section yesterday and planning to do the other next weekend to reduce shock to the tank. My tank is about 7 months old now. I got my bryopsis from a frag I failed to inspect properly before gluing it to my rock, that combined with a nitrate problem at the time lead to the outbreak. Water parameters under control now and bryopsis wont spread but wont die either. Evil stuff.

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for your pain.

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a bottle of VIBRANT - Reef aquarium cleaner. I saw a video on youtube of a guys tank filling with bryopsis like mine. He used this stuff for a few weeks and and it completely eliminated it, along with bubble, and GHA. If this doesnt work i have a bottle of 35% H2O2, and a complete tear down with have to happen.

http://www.uwcmn.com/product-line

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis is growing on the brand new frags I got from the coral dudes and they are on a rack. Just the water column is enough to spread it now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back