Cloudy eye outbreak! Chemiclean?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, a few weeks ago I noticed a fish devolp cloudy eye. Went away after a few days on own.

Last night I dosed chemiclean, turned off UV. This morning almost half of fish have cloudy eyes, ratty looking fins. Is this bacterial? Treatment options? LNB is the worst.

UV off, dosing LaCl periodically, carbon dosing.
Any ideas?
37CCE776-83AE-4F96-814C-42C9E2F4FD84.jpeg
27AA7FE9-A449-46ED-A022-E2D97CEAFF24.jpeg
78636E76-AD00-4D44-A79E-7F3DB394B5D2.jpeg
2714A04C-7B59-451C-A7E9-1F4FF1DD60F3.jpeg
38E530FF-DF32-4699-A2F1-A02A7F9A46A3.jpeg
E6D3A71D-9B2D-4137-BFB5-34198F3BF598.jpeg
71967D17-5DCF-4DE0-808D-740A3C3B9AB2.jpeg
32163E84-C796-42DD-B7C0-7AD9E0D46C78.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be flukes? Recent additions were about a month ago, treated for flukes but I believe they were the first I saw it on.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Symptoms of very poor water quality. The algae on Your live rock is indicative of it. Do a massive water change and monitor nitrate and phosphate. Feed less and check all your parameters!!

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Symptoms of very poor water quality. The algae on Your live rock is indicative of it. Do a massive water change and monitor nitrate and phosphate. Feed less and check all your parameters!!

Nitrate is 25 and PO4 is 0.1, recently the PO4 was high causing algae, brought down with LaCl NO3 never exceeds 50

Just did a freshwater dip on the butterfly and no flukes.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So most signs point to poor water and poor diet. I feel that my water quality is good and I feed selcon soaked foods frequently. I’ll be doing 40% water change tomorrow

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It appears to be flukes. Especially with all the fish showing some sign. Flukes are transparent members of the flatworm family which attach to fish with hooks. Their transparency and their microscopic size make identification by visual inspection almost impossible. Also note that flukes are not true flukes. They are actually parasitic flatworms belonging to the class of Monogeans. Poor diet is Not the cause but a good diet helps the immune system. Concerning is the crater as seen on your longnose butterfly.

When a fish first becomes infected with fluke, there are no indicating signs.
  • Rapid breathing and swimming at the water surface – This is due to their inability to extract sufficient oxygen from the water as the flukes attach to their gills.
  • Lethargy – The fish may become lethargic, hiding among the rocks or in a corner of your aquarium, and eating very little or nothing at all.
  • They may develop clamped fins, or the fins may become frayed.
  • Cloudy eyes may develop.
  • There may be a loss of colour at the area of infection.
  • Your fish may be flashing against the rockwork to try and dislodge the fluke.
  • They may exhibit yawning or a mouth perpetually open – this is to enable the fish to process more oxygen exchange when the gills are affected.
  • The affected fish may appear to shake its head from side to side
See if any of these apply. Hyposalinity or freshwater dips offer some relief. PraziPro is a good treatment for such condition. I do recommend quarantine

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears to be flukes. Especially with all the fish showing some sign. Flukes are transparent members of the flatworm family which attach to fish with hooks. Their transparency and their microscopic size make identification by visual inspection almost impossible. Also note that flukes are not true flukes. They are actually parasitic flatworms belonging to the class of Monogeans. Poor diet is Not the cause but a good diet helps the immune system. Concerning is the crater as seen on your longnose butterfly.

When a fish first becomes infected with fluke, there are no indicating signs.
  • Rapid breathing and swimming at the water surface – This is due to their inability to extract sufficient oxygen from the water as the flukes attach to their gills.
  • Lethargy – The fish may become lethargic, hiding among the rocks or in a corner of your aquarium, and eating very little or nothing at all.
  • They may develop clamped fins, or the fins may become frayed.
  • Cloudy eyes may develop.
  • There may be a loss of colour at the area of infection.
  • Your fish may be flashing against the rockwork to try and dislodge the fluke.
  • They may exhibit yawning or a mouth perpetually open – this is to enable the fish to process more oxygen exchange when the gills are affected.
  • The affected fish may appear to shake its head from side to side
See if any of these apply. Hyposalinity or freshwater dips offer some relief. PraziPro is a good treatment for such condition. I do recommend quarantine

I just dipped the butterfly and no signs of flukes, all fish were QT with copper and two round prazi.

I will try dosing prazi to dt anyway.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dipped the butterfly and no signs of flukes, all fish were QT with copper and two round prazi.

I will try dosing prazi to dt anyway.

I agree with @vetteguy53081 - these fish are showing typical symptoms of the fluke Neobenedenia. He may have missed where you said you dipped the fish - my question is, did you dip the fish for at least 5 minutes? Neobenedenia are really tenacious and they will hang of for dear life...but in the end, a full 5 minute dip will knock enough of them off that you will see them as what look like fish scales on the bottom of the container.

However - the fact that the cloudy eyes came on overnight, well that doesn't go with how Neo acts. It is NOT your water quality by itself. People have reported bad reactions from both Chemiclean (some type of erythromycin) as well as LaCl. I've dosed erythromycin many times to control cyanobacteria, and don't recall ever seeing a reaction like this though. The LNB has a definite hole in the sclera of its eye.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I agree with @vetteguy53081 - these fish are showing typical symptoms of the fluke Neobenedenia. He may have missed where you said you dipped the fish - my question is, did you dip the fish for at least 5 minutes? Neobenedenia are really tenacious and they will hang of for dear life...but in the end, a full 5 minute dip will knock enough of them off that you will see them as what look like fish scales on the bottom of the container.

However - the fact that the cloudy eyes came on overnight, well that doesn't go with how Neo acts. It is NOT your water quality by itself. People have reported bad reactions from both Chemiclean (some type of erythromycin) as well as LaCl. I've dosed erythromycin many times to control cyanobacteria, and don't recall ever seeing a reaction like this though. The LNB has a definite hole in the sclera of its eye.

Jay
Me either. especially overnight

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

Yes the hole is very visible, what does that mean? What is it?
I did full 5 minute dip and don’t see flukes. I’m going to dose prazi tomorrow after large water change.

Like I mentioned in original post, one butterfly has this a few weeks ago that passed on its own. If this was flukes would symptoms (cloudy eyes) come and go? I’d imagine they would stay until treated.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dot in the eye here is not normal either.
6DA84575-FD60-4AC1-A13E-B4C849935C6C.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what can cause eye damage like that. I’m not sure that prazi is warranted, sounds like you did an effective dip, and flukes would have shown up during that. Have you tried running a search here on chemiclean to see if there are any other reports of adverse reactions? I’ve heard some vague chatter about that, but nothing about eyes.
Jay

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemical overdose is my guess. (just a possibility)
I say this because my brother had the exact thing happen to his fish all at the same time.
Since he wasn't dosing anything at the time, he concluded it was bleach left over in his filter socks. When he told me he added bleach in the washer, I told him that's a no no. I know some people do it, but if you don't rinse the socks after the washer, I know for a fact the bleach is still in them. He decided to take a wait and see approach. No treatment was done. They cleared up on their own. It was a very established FOWLR.
Have you recently used any filter socks washed with bleach?

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemical overdose is my guess. (just a possibility)
I say this because my brother had the exact thing happen to his fish all at the same time.
Since he wasn't dosing anything at the time, he concluded it was bleach left over in his filter socks. When he told me he added bleach in the washer, I told him that's a no no. I know some people do it, but if you don't rinse the socks after the washer, I know for a fact the bleach is still in them. He decided to take a wait and see approach. No treatment was done. They cleared up on their own. It was a very established FOWLR.
Have you recently used any filter socks washed with bleach?

No I havent. I had just put in a new 1um filter sock and dosed LaCl into it.

All fish are still going strong this morning, I am going to be dong a 40% w/c after work. Still deciding on Prazi or not./

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what can cause eye damage like that. I’m not sure that prazi is warranted, sounds like you did an effective dip, and flukes would have shown up during that. Have you tried running a search here on chemiclean to see if there are any other reports of adverse reactions? I’ve heard some vague chatter about that, but nothing about eyes.
Jay

Ya no luck searching for similar issues.

Would flukes causing cloudy eye come and go? I saw this same thing a few weeks ago on a different butterfly that healed on its own.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya no luck searching for similar issues.

Would flukes causing cloudy eye come and go? I saw this same thing a few weeks ago on a different butterfly that healed on its own.
No - cloudy eyes from flukes will only get worse, and then be followed by increasing damage to the body and fins, giving a tattered appearance...
Jay

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - cloudy eyes from flukes will only get worse, and then be followed by increasing damage to the body and fins, giving a tattered appearance...
Jay

Ok then I think I can eliminate flukes as the culprit here for a variety of reasons.

Must be a bacterial infection outbreak. Im so stumped as to why it happened. Im more confused that it appears to be reoccurring.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back