Coral beauty vs Flame Angel.....

ZachR32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are like 50% likely to eat coral. There's no real rhyme or reason to it. They might not nip for years and then turn into a monster. It's just luck of the draw. I never trust dwarfs because they're unpredictable

kz4q66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to add either one of these to my tank too.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am about to say is totally anecdotal. So please take it with a grain of salt. If I was to keep any types of dwarf angels there are 2 things that IMHO is a must; 1. multiple feedings (3-4 times a day), and 2. Enough swimming space. I'd say a 120g tank or larger. Can you keep it in a 40g tank? Absolutely, but the aggression towards other fish will be greater. If you can give enough swimming room, and multiple feeding a day I believe the flame angel would be easier to keep. Though they are both gorgeous looking fist, I think flame angels can be a tad bit reef safe.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ZachR32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that coral beauties and flame angels are among the safer dwarf angels. Though still can be a risk. However I have found that Euphyllia are usually left alone.

I haven't noticed any rhyme or reason to nipping regardless of pairs, trios, or feeding.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I find that coral beauties and flame angels are among the safer dwarf angels. Though still can be a risk. However I have found that Euphyllia are usually left alone.

I haven't noticed any rhyme or reason to nipping regardless of pairs, trios, or feeding.
This is my experience as well. If I had to pick one that might be a LITTLE BIT safer, I'd go with the Coral Beauty...but I like the flame angels so much that I'd take the gamble on one of those every time. :D

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also wonder if getting them captive bred would impact how reef safe they are.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Coral Beauty in my 32G with a pair of fully grown clowns [3.5" and 2.5"], lawnmower blenny, mandarin, hamer, acans, frogspawn and birdsnest and didn't have any issues. No aggression and no picking

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really would like a Flame Angel They are really beautiful. However I have heard a few horror stories about a gent having a flame angel eating coral and he wanted him out the tank. The Flame angel was hard to catch he ended up tearing his tank down to get him out.I would not mind a little nipping though. I wonder if I up my feeding from once a day to maybe 2 or three times and keep everyone well fed how would this work out. I can also say in the past when I had a coral beauty they are resilient fish. The one I did have in my Fowlr survived two instances of ich in my 125. I hated to give him up. But I had too. I down sized to a 60 gallon before I moved back up to my 150
and I did not think it was fair that the CB had such a small place to swim.

Last edited:

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard that they tend to not nip corals until they sexually mature, then they eat corals.

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this on the description of a flame angel pair:

"As with other Angelfish it may happen that the Flame Angelfish will nibble on corals, however this phenomenon can be prevented by keeping the fish as pairs or in groups." - https://www.whitecorals.com/en/centropyge-loricula---flame-angel-pair-fi_002_02p

Is there any truth to this? Seems really odd.
In my case, no truth. I had a pair of Flame Angels mow down one of my SPS colonies so I got rid of them and paired up another set of Flame Angels and thankfully they haven't taken a liking to corals or my Maxima clam

BellaCoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just luck but I have not seen issues with Coral Beauty or a Flame Angle eating Corals. Although in what i'v witnessed the Coral Beauty has Tuns of personality! That is what I am planning on getting into my tank soon!

U

User1

View Badges
I have a coral beauty in a 40 breeder. Eats everything food wise and gets along well with everyone. No aggression or temper tantrums or so it seems. I mean what they do in there while I'm asleep, out of town, or at work Lord only knows but when I'm around there is nothing but golden bombs of light and love. Now, I will say I believe the beauty is picking on my Hammer corals. If not picking and eating he sure did make a mess in one that I have to make a home because it snapped off one area and the other side isn't expanding like it used to. He is the main player in that area. I have 4 rather large softball size heads here so I'm not going to worry about it much. Also I have a upgrade that just finished the cycle. Once I finish the lighting he will be moved and have more room.

So for me - I personally would add both. In fact, I am planning to do just that. I'll be ordering a pair of Flames and also a Regal sometime here in the near future :D

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back