Coral beauty vs Flame Angel.....

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell both. Of the flame angels I get 1 of 10 back as they customers says they eat coral. I just sell them to another customer and there they behave well.
I have not yet got 1 single bispinosa back.
Some montiporas will draw in their polyps as soon as they can smell a Centropyge.
I had 1 bispinosa myself who sometimes was just licking at corals sometimes. It didnt seem to bother the corals. They had full polyp extension all the time the fish was there.
In the nature Centropyge eats a lot of algae and in my tanks they pick on stones or the glasses all the time.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks which of these dwarf angels are more reef safe? Which is less likely to make a meal of of my euphyllia or my torch coral? Let's get a discussion on this. I got a good grade on my Biology exam and I am treating myself to a new fish this weekend.

Both can be hit and miss (like all dwarf angels), I can tell you that the Flame Angel is much more likely to be an aggressive butthead to your tank mates. As for the guy recommending to add both? Terrible idea unless you have a really large tank (ie 150 gallons or more)

BillH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got both in my mixed reef along with raccoon and milletseed butterflies
and an emporer angel. Occasionally they nip at a polyp or so but not any bad damage nothing can recoupe from if your system is stable and well fed. A lot of these beliefs and myths about angles are true, and im sure has happened a few times more than not. Most evil stories I hear about are older setups from late 80's to 90's when there would only be a very few corals and rare feeding to keep nutrients down so they had a tendency to always be hungry and more prone to nipping. Now a days its so easy to keep a tank clean and nutrients at lower levels that keeping everyone fed is an easy task. Generally if you keep them fed well they will do fine in most any kind of setup.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have decided to bite the bullet and go ahead with the Flame Angel. I will definitely just try to keep him feed. They are beautiful fish. The QT process will begin today. Wish me luck.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to bite the bullet and go ahead with the Flame Angel. I will definitely just try to keep him feed. They are beautiful fish. The QT process will begin today. Wish me luck.

Good luck, I just noticed my Coral Beauty that has been in my tank about a week (after QT for a month) has been eating my zoas.

I plan on getting a gourmet grazer and keeping nori loaded in there full time to hopefully make him not want to do that.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a coral beauty for the past 19 months without issue; started as a mixed reef and went SPS dominant about nine months ago. I've never witnessed it pick at anything but realize that it certainly could happen in the future. It was a risk I was willing to take; this is the only conclusion you can draw in regard to angels.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have found lemopeels to be one of the most likely to go after coral.
Definitly staying away from those. I feel like with all the beautiful fish in the hobby when we have a reef we limit ourselves to certain fish unless you wanna risk you reef becoming a garden and the livestock is harvesting lol.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or a lemon peel these two are probably the lowest risk IMO.

Actually the Lemon Peel is one that is more prone to nipping. The Coral Beauty, The Flame and the Potters are generally the ones that get the least complaints for coral nipping (although the Flames are more prone to aggression). The Pygmy Angels (ie Cherubfish, Flameback, etc.) actually get the fewest complaints for nipping, but do get more complaints for aggression.

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the Lemon Peel is one that is more prone to nipping. The Coral Beauty, The Flame and the Potters are generally the ones that get the least complaints for coral nipping (although the Flames are more prone to aggression). The Pygmy Angels (ie Cherubfish, Flameback, etc.) actually get the fewest complaints for nipping, but do get more complaints for aggression.
Right on eveything I've read about the lemon peel says they're the least prone to nipping. I've never personally had any in a reef but some of the tanks I've done maintennce on in the past had Cherubs, Flames, and Bicolors in them an haven't seemed to have much nipping. The Flame is quite territorial IMHO but a beautiful fish. Personally I don't trust any of them in a reef. I've came close many times though.

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a coral beauty for years that didn’t nip corals in a 125 gallon tank till a kalk accident killed it

I now have a flame for 5 years in the same tank with no problems and I just added a sail fin angel and they chase each other a little but neither have nipped at corals

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is a potters lol. Im actually thinking of adding a flame, coral, and potters to a 120. (All at the same time to help dilute aggresion. Bad Idea?? Probably. Still gonna think on that one. anyway i think the coral beauty is probably the least worry out of those 2 myself.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Potter's. They are a tad more expensive, especially right now, but beautiful fish and mine never touched anything.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Potter's. They are a tad more expensive, especially right now, but beautiful fish and mine never touched anything.

I'd say more than a tad.

A small Coral Beauty runs $25-$35
A small Flame Angel runs $50-$60
A small Potters runs $90-$130

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say more than a tad.

A small Coral Beauty runs $25-$35
A small Flame Angel runs $50-$60
A small Potters runs $90-$130

On Live Aquaria currently Large Coral Beauty $45, Flame $80, Potter's $130, but yeah some might call that a tad. Percentage point the flame is a bigger jump from a Coral Beauty than a Potter's is from a Flame.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the reason why the jump seems so big is that the Flame and Coral Beauty have small options while the Potters only has a large. I guess I should clarify and say the jump from a Coral Beauty to a Potter's is HUGE.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 11.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 44 27.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.9%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back